Will Hot Toys ever lose their popularity?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hot Toys Lose Popularity Over Time

• Yes

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think so,the figurines i have from hot toys as well as every other manufacturers all mean something to me and stand for a emotional connection to them in many different ways depending on the character,let me put it this way,has Art ever lost its popularity? NO this is simply another form of art and think if anything,hot toys will keep becoming more popular as younger kids grow into adults and find out about this world of bueatiful figures! Not to say kids don't have them now,but they are the kids at heart.lol Seriously though the kids that do have them are fortunate to obviously have a family that is paying for them and i think it will be great each time a new generation gets into the collecting world and we all grow as one big group of people who prove our numbers at events over and over again! The prices are also going up cause hot toys is making better 1/6 scale figures each year and am psyched to see the 1/4 scale Boba fett i hsve on pre order from hot toys,also that they are getting into the 1/4 scale world just shows the company is gonna keep growing and trying new ideas out,i think a lesson was learned when comic books took a dive that a company like hot toys with the capital they have is being managed by the best in the business and sill not except failure or loss of intrest in their great figures. Even characters they make who i personally don't like them,i still think the job that they do on them from a artistic point of view is 99% of the time awesome! So somethings to think about i wrote in this post and would like to know what you guys think about the way i feel about the company as well. Great topic to post and talk about with fellow collectors!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Who has sold their collection and than a few years later bought what most of their collection they could fine and collect again?

Who have gone through periods of not collecting at all and than collecting again?

It is hard to leave the hobby altogether. I thought about it ... Still here though.

I don't buy nearly as much as I did.
Most of my Hot toys collection has faded. I'm pretty "Marvel'd out"
I find myself wishing they would go back to other iconic movie licenses they never had or revisit the ones they did. Rambo, aliens etc.
Until that happens ... I can live without most of what they develope currently.
They're military offerings were grade a too. I miss that.
I don't think they'll go out of business but I do think they are unbalanced enough to become uninteresting and stale for the most part.
With companies like DAM and soldier story's quality catching up, they really need to start thinking outside the box.

It is hard to leave the hobby altogether. I thought about it ... Still here though.

I don't buy nearly as much as I did.
Most of my Hot toys collection has faded. I'm pretty "Marvel'd out"
I find myself wishing they would go back to other iconic movie licenses they never had or revisit the ones they did. Rambo, aliens etc.
Until that happens ... I can live without most of what they develope currently.
They're military offerings were grade a too. I miss that.
I don't think they'll go out of business but I do think they are unbalanced enough to become uninteresting and stale for the most part.
With companies like DAM and soldier story's quality catching up, they really need to start thinking outside the box.

THIS!

That's how I feel at the moment...selling off what I don't need/want anymore and focusing on other companies and the like.

I think the older stuff that Hot Toys made is still worth something. The older Aliens/Predator stuff as well as the older Batman stuff still holds is value. I see companies that are making stuff that is comparable to Hot Toys.

I think the older stuff that Hot Toys made is still worth something. The older Aliens/Predator stuff as well as the older Batman stuff still holds is value. I see companies that are making stuff that is comparable to Hot Toys.

Yes they still have value. But the entire Aliens line and the Rambo figures need 2.0 version for quality continuity. Those figures don't even look like Hottoys compared to the new stuff. Especially when you consider those early headsculpts. It's like looking at a graphics comparison of PlayStation 1 and PS4.

The answer to that question is more people buy every clone trooper and/or IM figure versions than they buy all of the figures listed below (and then some) from the unique and varying licenses you're referencing, combined.

POTC Angelica
GIJ Roadblock
Tron Legacy Kevin Flynn
Tonto
Goblin
Kerberos Panzer Jager
RE Alice
Electro
Sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd
Captain Harlock
Sucker Punch Amber
Indiana Jones
The Crow
60's Batman/Robin
Maleficient
MOS Zod, Jor El, Supes
etc

While HT's bread & butter franchises certainly have their share of figs that didn't sell well, the majority of them are movers.

Wow..... That's hard to believe. Sales figures???

Nobody has any sort of factual information like sales figures. It's all speculation, assumptions and such.

Right, so you have figures produced that don't sell or move slow to sell and are often discounted in order to.
Then you have the new mark whatever and avengers stuff that sells consistently. Cool.
But .... Won't more and collectors grow tired of this pattern?? I'm sure.
Some of us are just ahead of that curve.

I don't see Hot Toys or other 1/6 manufacturers as fads, however I think it will come down to the rising costs in years to come. Hot Toys will continue to improve, but manufacturing costs will also rise. If a basic figure is now priced at $200 to $220 now, in 5 years that same figure could be $50 more. Then when you look at international buyers and their ever changing exchange rates, that added cost could put them out of the collecting game.

I don't know how long I will want to collect for. How many figures is enough to be satisfied with? If licenses I am interested in continue to be picked up, that will be enough to pull me back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just have to say,great topic and everyone i think is pretty much on the same page as far as if you collect then it shouldn't be as a investment, but as a hobby you enjoy,at the sametime i can't stop from sounding hypocritical when i got pissed when hot toys re released the Joker Bank robber edition for $270,after on ebay when it was rare edition i payed $400,so do we all want our figures to hold value of course,but get the enjoyment from them and not to invest,that's what the stock market is for. Hot toys i think should keep its 1/6 scale figures no higher then $219.99,unless there is a special add on,opening up their 1/4 scale line can compensation for the money that was being overcharged on the 1/6th figures,but i think the 1/4 scale as long as it's the same quality as their 1/6 figures will be a good source of revenue,but still i think 469.99 for 1/4 scale figures is too much,regardless i love boba fett and had to get him anyway on pre order,but the price should definitely come down considering you can buy a exclusive PF figure for the same price made from better material and more work,ultimately i hope everything works itself out and collecting high end figures,it at its peek,people will always be buying and selling and i don't think the company is going anywhere anytime soon and if it does unfortunately eventually and people start selling like crazy,it will be great not to pay so much extra for a figure you missed out on and get a break in prices 2nd hand if that unfortunate day comes. I love everyones opinion both good and bad and like I've said previously i think this is a great topic to discuss and keep collectors who don't know,in the know. Keep posting your opinions,i love to read what's on fellow collectors minds!

Just have to say,great topic and everyone i think is pretty much on the same page as far as if you collect then it shouldn't be as a investment, but as a hobby you enjoy,

At the sametime i can't stop from sounding hypocritical when i got pissed when hot toys re released the Joker Bank robber edition for $270, after on ebay when it was rare edition i payed $400, so do we all want our figures to hold value of course, but get the enjoyment from them and not to invest, that's what the stock market is for.

Hot toys i think should keep its 1/6 scale figures no higher then $219.99, unless there is a special add on, opening up their 1/4 scale line can compensation for the money that was being overcharged on the 1/6th figures, but i think the 1/4 scale as long as it's the same quality as their 1/6 figures will be a good source of revenue, but still i think 469.99 for 1/4 scale figures is too much, regardless i love boba fett and had to get him anyway on pre order, but the price should definitely come down considering you can buy a exclusive PF figure for the same price made from better material and more work

Ultimately i hope everything works itself out and collecting high end figures, it at its peek, people will always be buying and selling and i don't think the company is going anywhere anytime soon and if it does unfortunately eventually and people start selling like crazy, it will be great not to pay so much extra for a figure you missed out on and get a break in prices 2nd hand if that unfortunate day comes.

I love everyones opinion both good and bad and like I've said previously i think this is a great topic to discuss and keep collectors who don't know, in the know. Keep posting your opinions, i love to read what's on fellow collectors minds!

#FixedDatWallofText :)

I think a benefit that Hot Toys has over products like Beanie Babies and Funko Pops is that they aren't making cutesy trendy versions of characters but rather go for looks from films and go for realism. I think that's a benefit because people who collect high end collectibles and figures from popular films will probably pay up for figures that look like what they're supposed to represent over an overly characterised version. As far as them being a fad I don't think I'd classify them that way because they're a product that only a niche set of collectors go for. Other stuff mentioned tends to be all over the place and sold to the masses before eventually dying out.

As for other companies there surely will be some that come along and some already have. Obviously competition will give them a run for their money and diversify the market more but I think they're safe for a while until a company really steps it up and is able to acquire major licenses. One benefit Hot Toys has at the moment in my opinion is support of major players like Marvel, DC and Star Wars.

I concur with this, although many have echoed these sentiments.

Like several have stated, I think HT are too niche to be considered a "fad" and are relatively esoteric. They can only be obtained at select places, as opposed to major store chains, and not even all collectors are privy of their existence.

I'd say within the collecting community for those who are aware of HT, their popularity has actually risen because their quality and likeness to characters portrayed in film continues to improve. As others have also stated, unless another manufacturer(s) really elevates its game to provide some legitimate competition, I don't see HT getting less popular anytime soon or "dying out". Especially if they continue to improve their quality and likeness.

The only thing I could potentially see as why popularity with them may wane in the future, is prices becoming too high.

Back