Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why the HOT TOYS don´t sell out anymore?

• HOT TOYS produce much more pieces than before.

Votes: 190 60.7%
  • The Collectors are less interested to this product.

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • BOTH of the above.

Votes: 113 36.1%

• Total voters
That is a good point. Some of us are professionals but regardless most of us are holding down a job with money committed to a number of more important things. Maybe the news guy is right, the internet and mobile phones means young people do less of the meeting up and leaving the house?

So most young people do less meeting people and leaving the house, that's a very sad commentary. I read a lot of posts here and it always makes me wonder what the cost of this behavior well be for these people in the future. I have read numerous posts where the poster best friends are people that don't even live in the same zip code, city or country, and they well never meet them face to face, but they call them their best friends, very sad and disturbing. How the hell can you develop any social skills behind a computer screen? One last thing I have to mention. The one thing all these people have in common is that what ever dysfunctional behavior they engage in, they always depend on others here to defend it and give them a big stamp of approval. The internet may be great for information and research, but for many it's going to turn them into dysfunctional misfits IMO.

I believe it's a combination of different things. In the past years, HT stopped producing "model kit" figures [around the first Predator?], so prices naturally went up since the license was different.

Then HT produces more figures than before and handles more licenses close to each other. Somebody might want to buy both the MK VII IronMan AND the TDKR Batman, they both come out at roughly the same time, they cost over 500 USD combined. That's some serious money that people might not have anymore to drop at any time.

Lastly, HT are more than often updating or re-making their figures, making certain releases raise an eyebrow as to how long it'll go without a better figure. Who says that half a year or more after TDKR Bane is released, HT won't release a more detailed one, with more accessories, and all the like? Or that they won't remake a Predators Predator within a year, making the older figure obsolete?

I think there are many factors that play into how well these things sell, with price being the biggest factor. I've pretty much gotten priced out of the game when it comes to their new standard MSRP. I can feel the pinch and I've definitely eased up on my purchasing.

Hot Toys isn't the same company it was 4-6 years ago, that much is clear. They weren't as well known, Sideshow wasn't their distributor, they didn't have as many licenses (I'm actually really impressed with all the different things they've taken on, few companies have done that) and the prices were actually much more reasonable. Of course that's going to reflect sales.

I remember thinking how $120 - $150 was a lot for an action figure a few years ago. My purchases were limited and I had a ceiling as to what I was willing to spend. Fast forward to now and those old $150, $170 prices look like actual bargains. It's sort of shocking how $200 + is the new norm.

I'll make certain exceptions (like with Batman) but the prices are definitely a deterrent for me. I just can't keep up with it. I used to buy unnecessary multiples when they were "cheap", now? Forget it.

Other than the prices I think another reason they don't sell out is because of the production runs. I have a feeling they made a TON of the Christopher Reeve Superman, Jack Sparrow, Keaton Batman and the Joker. I'm sure these latest releases have HUGE edition sizes. Par that with price and the sheer amount of licenses that this company has taken on and yeah, it's no wonder that things aren't like what they used to be.

I'm actually pretty surprised that DX 09 Keaton Batman has sold out on Sideshow, Bigbadtoystore and other major online retailers though. That was what, 7-8 months?

I think Hot Toys don't sell out because of the 'for sale or trade' forum on his website.

Seems like soon after something is released there is a competition as to who can dump it the fastest :D

- Repeated updates or the possibility thereof. Licenses that perpetuate themselves with sequels providing more opportunity to buy the same (or very close to) figures again.

- The economy. People are still alittle hesitant with things still being pretty bad in most places.

- The price. Again with the economy, makes for a hard sell on these figures. Especially if this is not one's only hobby.

Those are the major ones for me. I've mentioned before about the Avengers - I know that series is going to be three movies deep (or more), so I'm not in a hurry trying to get a Cap A or Thor, since they'll come around next time or the time after that. With the economy, I'm still alittle gun-shy and probably am not spending as much as I could, with my new job and all - once I've been there awhile, I'll have the confidence to spend more. Then there's the price, HT is not my only hobby, so I have to plan every little frivilous spending piece - which is very difficult with all the HT delays.

For me personally they are too expensive. I don't find the value in the prices they are asking. I rather have the cash. :lol

I will make exceptions though and buy Henry Cavill Superman. I don't think I really care about anything else though.

I'm slowly winding down collecting because i have most of what i want, plus the prices of things i might have got on a whim are just too high now.

So most young people do less meeting people and leaving the house, that's a very sad commentary. I read a lot of posts here and it always makes me wonder what the cost of this behavior well be for these people in the future. I have read numerous posts where the poster best friends are people that don't even live in the same zip code, city or country, and they well never meet them face to face, but they call them their best friends, very sad and disturbing. How the hell can you develop any social skills behind a computer screen? One last thing I have to mention. The one thing all these people have in common is that what ever dysfunctional behavior they engage in, they always depend on others here to defend it and give them a big stamp of approval. The internet may be great for information and research, but for many it's going to turn them into dysfunctional misfits IMO.

That's why I avoid facebook and stuff like twitter. I live outside the city and most of the people I actually consider friends live, at the most, 15 miles from me. We make an effort to see each other in person and when we do we eat, chat and watch movies.

I don't know that this a poll worthy topic as it's not something that is opinion based. If the thesis is correct - "Hot Toys figures don't sell out any more" - then there is a fact based answer to the question.

If it was phrased - "Why do you THINK Hot Toys don't sell out any more, then it might be open to opinions.

But the facts are that they DO sell out. Batman 89 is waitlisted and many other recent HT figures are sold out or waitlisted.

As with any manufacturer, they are trying to meet the demand for their product. Sometimes they over produce, sometimes they under produce. If there's sufficient demand they re-manufacture, like with the Tumbler.

As for price - SSC used to have the model of making a figure for the price they thought we would pay. If they couldn't do it for that price, they would either dumb it down, or not produce it.

However I think HT makes the figures they want to make at the highest level they can make them and then figure out how much they have to charge for it. They discovered that we will actually pay that price and that has changed the 1/6 hobby. SSC has learned that and made adjustments accordingly, as has Enterbay.

What he said, plus, as James Caville famously said... 'It's the economy stupid!'

Tracker Predator, Shadow Predator, Classic Predator, Noland, Samurai Predator and City Hunter Predator are all still in-stock, this would usually mean that they've failed to sell sufficiently and to do any more would be unprofitable and yet AVP Scar has been developed and gone up for Pre-Order. Conversley, other lines have figures that have sold out which would usually mean a sufficient interest to continue the line yet there's no indication of further figures.

So I don't think in-stock or sold out can be a determination of what's a success or a fail anymore.

They sell out, it takes a long time. But they do...and when they go unavailable on SS, prices jack up on ebay.

I don't think anyone is getting less interested in batman, terminator, or the avengers and I don't think they will ever lose popularity. If anything these classic characters will just gain a larger following over time. The truth of the matter is these things are pricey!!

woah, im really 1 of the only 6 people who went for

The Collectors are less interested to this product. <-?!

So people think Hot Toys make too many as opposed to the prices being too high for mass sales? It only takes a day to casually browse this forum to see that a lot of people are just simply not willing to pay the current prices. So they are not interested.

I feel like voting for the first option would of reflected as " id rather Hot Toys didnt produce as many, that way when the prices shoot up on the secondary market i feel like i have a piece of plastic gold ". When i dont care about that.

Also, making 5 captain Americas, 9 Batmen & 14 Iron men cant help but weaken the interest in products also.

I don't buy maybe one figure a year, Hot toys are just too dang expensive, you can call them what you want, but in the end they are just over glorified toys, I don't collect I play with mines. The Dx10 was my only Hot Toys this year, I really can't believe I am shelling out 300 for the DX13 but I plan on exiting the Hobby after that (admit I am sorely tempted by the thought of a Roadblock, Snake Eyes, and Storm Shadow by Hot Toys) at least as far as companies like Hot Toys, Enter bay, Blitzway.....you know those companies that like to put out 200+ figures, but by the way other companies are going up on their prices by the end of 2013 200 will be the norm, and I will be out altogether....200 is too much for toys....I don't care about putting number on them and all that stuff, I'm not interested in knowing what number I am in the line of idiots who paid these outrageous prices.....

I am glad the production rates seem to be higher....I usually hope to score a deal on the secondary market on the figure that I would like but is not a must-have pre-order.

It's a combination of price and production runs. Hot Toys have always been expensive. Sure not expensive by today's standards but still expensive. This has always been a niche market and HT hit a sweet spot some years ago. They were producing enough product to sell out at the pre-ordering stage.
Just like any thing that is profitable one always wants to make more. Retailers where ordering like crazy as prices began to rise. Retailers are now having to rethink how much to stock because there is so much product out there.
Again, people need to remember this has been and always will be a niche market.
Will these items sell out? Sure eventually. Will they go up in price? Some, not all. Does it matter? To some, not to me.

I never bought the AVP Predators because they looked like **** and still do. Why people were paying those inflated prices is beyond me. Should people care that I think they look like ****? Hell no, buy what you want.

Is it that weird to you guys that they have products in stock? I think people assume EVERYTHING follows the classic Sideshow low EX sell out high aftermarket thing. Coming from Japanese figures there is really nothing about figures that should make them become rare or rise in price. Seeing figures in stock for years is the norm not the unusual. Hot Toys is just making sure they have a ton of their stuff on the market.

I'm personally going to hold off until Joker 5.0 :yess:

lol...it has gotten ridiculous...even with kato on the team...talk about overkill with one character,,,this is the most overkill with one character ever!!! both regular co,.'s and all of the custom sculpts... i know iron man,,,but at least they change things up a bit...yet still iron man is also wayyy over done. i personaly would vote to never see another joker ledger made again....but as we come to realize....hot toys has no clue when to stop...

Back