Why no love for Hot Toys Tarkin?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if it's Sideshow instead of Hot Toys that releases Tarkin?

Grand Moff Tarkin: A New Hope Sixth Scale Figure specially features:

•Fully articulated body
•New highly detailed portrait
•Multi-layered fabric costume
•Rank badging
•Two (2) sets of hands including:
- One (1) pair of relaxed hands
- One (1) pair of gesture hands
•"Leather like" belt
•One (1) pair of detailed boots
•Death Star stand/base

Price: $249.00

I'm ok with some of the SSC's troopers, but no way I'd buy a human sculpt, especially Tarkin, from SSC.

Yeah, I'd grab Tarkin, but he'd need to be one of those lower Leia-type pricepoint figures - in the $205-220 range.

Like Leia, he's basically just a head, fairly basic outfit, boots and belt.

I found it interesting that even in 2016, with the enormous budget they had and the knowledge that the CGI Tarkin would be closely scrutinized, they still couldn't quite nail a photorealistic human. The uncanny valley still persists, even for ILM.

Seems like they got a bit cocky showing him so close-up and for shots that went on for so long. The best CGI recreations (I'm thinking Douglas in Antman and to some degree the young Terminator Arnie) know to keep it brief and wider, preferably with some movement and other stuff to distract the viewer.

I agree that the Young Arnold Terminator Salvation was probably the best use of a CGI face lift and that was in 2009!!! I'm shocked that 7yrs later it hasnt gotten a lot better. I thought Tarkin was good considering what they had him do vs CGI Arnie.

I thought the Tarkin scenes were some of the best in the movie. Yes he wasn't 100% perfect, but he certainly had a lot more screen presence than some of the other Characters in the movie.

I will definitely pick him up if he gets produced. Such an iconic character from the OT.

I've been wanting a HT Tarkin for a couple years now and I'm hoping that Rogue One allows that to finally happen. It's my most desired figure right now.

Is there a difference?

The only notable difference I am personally aware of is height, which might affect his scale with other figures. R1 Tarkin is 6'4" while ANH Tarkin was 6'0". This is due to the tall actor that played him in R1 (in both body and voice) before the special effects were added. Guy Henry is taller than Peter Cushing. His build and the way his clothing fits would be slightly different also. Otherwise they are meant to appear the same. If there are any clothing differences, I expect them to be as small as the difference between an OT trooper and an R1 trooper. Minor changes, like how they gave stormtrooper helmets recessed slits instead of stickers.

download.jpg

rogue-one-peter-cushing-digital.jpg

Pretty cool pic showing the work that went into it. Need figure now.

Yes, he was. Though, you can see enhancements done to his costume.

I'd want Tarkin ONLY if it was based on the real Peter Cushing from Star Wars. Not CGI Tarkin, which was close, but not quite Mr. Cushing.

I'd want Tarkin ONLY if it was based on the real Peter Cushing from Star Wars. Not CGI Tarkin, which was close, but not quite Mr. Cushing.

How would you know the difference unless it came with one of the Rogue One stands? I imagine their ANH attempt would end up looking more like RO Tarkin, based on the stylized look of the characters thus far.

Makes no difference to me which version as long as they make him.

Sad to see the movie has not inspired a Tarkin...

Nor a Krennic surprisingly.

Baze hasn't even gone preorder, so my hopes for more Rogue One is dwindling quickly. What are they waiting for? Rogue Two?

Baze hasn't even gone preorder, so my hopes for more Rogue One is dwindling quickly. What are they waiting for? Rogue Two?

I'm with ya. Tarkin and Krennic would be instant POs and I'd probably add two Deathtroopers too to flank Krennic.

Don't they usually sorta shut things down during this period of time leading up to the Chinese new year? I'm still hopeful tarkin and krennic will surface during may the 4th, celebration, or one of those upcoming toy fair conventions. But if it gets near episode 8 hype time I agree that we can probably write off both characters:(

Back