Which Hot Toys 1/ figure is least likely to depreciate?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, yeah baby.

g3817f992.jpg

I wonder if he's rolling in dough after selling those?:rotfl

He paid people to get in line too.

I think Babydoll is the least likely to depreciate in my opinion, as they are unlikely to make a version 2.0, and she is beautiful with loads of accessories.

...on the other hand, she's one member of an incomplete line from a crap movie :dunno

...on the other hand, she's one member of an incomplete line from a crap movie :dunno
For the longest time, the most highly lusted after Hot Toys figures were from Predator 2 and Alien Vs. Predator. . .

I'm not totally sure there is a direct relationship between value and the quality of the source movie :lol

For the longest time, the most highly lusted after Hot Toys figures were from Predator 2 and Alien Vs. Predator. . .

I'm not totally sure there is a direct relationship between value and the quality of the source movie :lol

1/6 Aliens and Robots > 1/6 chicky babes :lol

Perhaps, some time in the future, distant civilizations will find a buried copy of the DVD from some long forgotten Wal-Mart $5 bin that had been buried in some natural disaster. They'll watch the movie and subsequently base their entire culture on it.

Maybe then, the Hot Toys Babydoll figure will be worth something.

I don't know why people get so defensive over stuff like this. I collect because I enjoy these things, but, at the same time, I like to think that, in the event that I did need to sell them, I'd be able to make, at least, most of my money back. There's really no reason for people to look down their noses at people like the OP. We collect dolls; get over yourselves.:lol

The Hot Toys and Sideshow (Star Wars) figures that I have sold in the past were priced at around the same cost as when I originally purchased. I guess I made a little profit as I bought it new and sold it used for the around same price. I sell to make funds for new figures. Plus older figures become outdated and look bad displayed next to current (Example ROTJ Luke, Mace Windu, Bib Fortuna). I had Tracker Predator but sold it to gain funds for DX13. Surprisingly I have not missed or regretted a item sold to date.

I also don't like to have too many of a particular license (i.e. originally had Berserker and Tracker Predator). Purchased Scar a few months ago. I don't need three Predators. So it was easy to sell Tracker. Now I am interested in Elder 2.0. I will sell Berserker and use those funds. In the end I will have two Predators displayed…one masked (Scar) the other without (Elder).

I don't know why people get so defensive over stuff like this. I collect because I enjoy these things, but, at the same time, I like to think that, in the event that I did need to sell them, I'd be able to make, at least, most of my money back. There's really no reason for people to look down their noses at people like the OP. We collect dolls; get over yourselves.:lol

Introducing facts isn't being defensive.

Toys are not an investment.

Hot toys perhaps not so much, but you cannot argue that the value of a RM figure for example can increase and return a decent profit over time. I class that as a toy also

Not all toys depreciate. Some of my old Corgi toys from the 60s are now worth over £400. The same goes for some of my transformers and tin plate toys, such as the Arnold Mac 700.

For what it's worth, that Corgi car is still a crap investment. Using round numbers, if your investment increases in value from $10 to $400 over 50 years, that's about 7.8% return per year. That's lousy. It's especially lousy considering the risk of investing in something as insecure, difficult to liquidate, and volatile as a toy. Hell, your kid can break the damn thing when you're not looking, sending the value directly to zero. And, that's one of the "success stories". For every crap 7.8% return on a Corgi, there's an abysmal negative return in a hundred other toys that are completely worthless.

You're better off in almost anything else. Stocks, bonds, real estate, jewelry, metals. Anything. Better return. Lower risk. Less volatility. Easier liquidation. If you own a toy and happen to get lucky on the value, that's fine. But, it's luck, not investment ... and, it probably isn't even as "lucky" as you think (like the Corgi example). If you're planning on retiring on toys or other collectibles, you're going to be broke.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:

At the same time, I am a little bummed that the majority of the military figures I've bought in the past and subsequently lost interest in will fetch maybe half their initial MSRP on the secondary market (if I'm lucky). But they didn't cost all that much to begin with. I find it easier to buy a $200+ Hot Toys figure knowing that I'll likely be able to recoup most or all of the cost if my circumstances change. I wonder how many collectors here would truly be happy to pay that kind of money for their figures without that reassurance.

And even the keepers, who doesn't get a bit of a woody when they see that their $150 Leonidas figure is now going for around 3 times that :lol

Nevertheless, the "you're collecting for the wrong reasons" stuff is bull****. Who really cares? I don't condone being a scalper like the dude in the pic above, but I'd be lying if I said that the "value" of these things didn't have any bearing on my purchases. I don't have money to throw away, and, again, I like to think that, in the event that I ever did need to thin the herd, what I own wasn't going to go down the toilet in value.

If you don't have money to throw away, high end toys probably aren't for you ... because you likely are throwing it away. It's a hobby expenditure, not an investment vehicle wherein you can reasonably expect a substantial return over time.

Breaking even makes for a poor investment, and most here would be satisfied to break even on HT figures if they decided to liquidate.

Consider it money spent, not an investment made.

SnakeDoc

Nevertheless, the "you're collecting for the wrong reasons" stuff is bull****. Who really cares? I don't condone being a scalper like the dude in the pic above, but I'd be lying if I said that the "value" of these things didn't have any bearing on my purchases. I don't have money to throw away, and, again, I like to think that, in the event that I ever did need to thin the herd, what I own wasn't going to go down the toilet in value.

No need to get defensive. Just calling it as I see it. People who buy collectibles because they really enjoy them can never lose. People who buy collectibles because of a perceived future value not only can but are likely to be disappointed (and then get upset with me as I enjoy a moment or two of schadenfreude).

Trust me. Trust anyone who's been collecting toys/props/any of this sort of stuff for a decade or more. Most of their collection they would take a loss on were they to liquidate it. If they're lucky they'd largely break even. HT are currently an anomaly, and anomalies do not last.

Edit: And I'd like to add two more words. Comic books. Maybe another two. Baseball cards.

I'm not getting defensive, I'm just saying that there really is no "objectively" right or wrong answer. Take Mr. Shoebox up above. I may disapprove of what he's doing, but, if he's collecting some of those figures, I can't objectively say that "he's doing it wrong." With that being said, I don't really think we need to get into these sort of debates every time a thread like this pops up.

As for the OP's question, I'd say go with what you know. At the end of the day, get what you like, and you can never go wrong. Maybe that's why I don't get the "you're going to lose money" thing. I'm a DC fanboy at heart, and, outside of Iron Man, it seems like Batman is their most successful license.

Back