What are the chances of Hot Toys getting "The Hobbit" license?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if HT gets the license to make 1:6th figures you all are probably right. If it's Sideshow or Weta making the statue line the traveling party will be made in it's entirety. Hell, the demand and popularity if the films will help them generate enough want to make them do the entire traveling party.

But having said, if hot toys does tackle the hobbit, I'll be really pumped. Hot toy's sculpt likeness put some of the polystone offerings to shame.

Lord of the Rings did a lot better in Asia than I thought. Return of the King took in 94 million just in Japan alone. So there may be more of a Asian market for these than some think.

We've already gotten the Fellowship. They may not have all been in that movies attire but we got them. If you stay true to how the characters in both the books and movie acted/thought of each other they were the Fellowship until they reached the Grey Havens. As Gandalfs quote at the end of ROTK goes "Here at last, on the shores of the sea... comes the end of our Fellowship."

Thats how I approach the Fellowship, how I believe Tolkien wrote them, and how I believe Jackson translated that on screen.

That would be why I said saying they haven't done the Fellowship is untrue.

As far as doing the characters for The Hobbit. I have no doubts they will do them all. There isn't nearly as many characters in The Hobbit as LOTR plus the Dwarves I doubt will have multiple outfits that will cause anyone to say the Traveling Party hasn't been done.

Can someone fluent in Geek translate this for me?

100% they are going to do this, there's plenty of money to be made with this, Sideshow is still making Lord of the Rings statues and Weta doing things too 7-8 years after the trilogy was released.

But like everyone has said, just 2-3 figures and quit. If sideshow got 6-8 LOTR figures before dropping the line, then Hot Toys won't get half that amount for Hobbit.

I would say they would do Gandalf the Grey, Legolas (he is likely to be in the films) and possibly Bilbo or one of the main heros of the movies, maybe a hero dwarf, the Bard or even someone (who is a major character)that is in the Battle of the five armies. Honestly, I'd be happy if they only did a single LOTR figure of Aragorn, that would be enough for me.

There are about 3-5 characters that deserve HT treatment from Hobbit:

1) Gandalf
2) Bilbo
3) Thorin
4) Gollum
5) Bard

There are probably 6-10 characters from LOTR:

1) Gandalf the Grey
2) Aragorn as Strider
3) Boromir
4) Legolas
5) Gimli
6) Lurtz
7) Uruk-hai
8) Mordor Orc
9) Ringwraith
10) Gollum

Having said that, and if the line were to go bigger, they could do a TON more (Eomer, Theoden, Arwen, Itaril, Prologue Elf, Prologue Numenorean, yadda, yadda, yadda)

Oh when The Hobbit comes out statue wise, PF, etc we will see more than 5 characters. Kind of pointless to do it otherwise.

Back