WB Drops the R rating for Hero Films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
WB Drops the R rating for Hero Films
March 20, 2009

An IESB source is causing buzz around the web is that Warner Brothers will be knocking the legs out from under all of their future adult oriented R-rated films and dropping them to the always cheery, always friendly, PG-13. Yes, you may not agree with this decision, and yes, some of you are ^^^^ting your Hanes this very second, but as far as the dollars and cents go, this move makes a lot of sense. Ha, see what I did there?

The Dark Knight grossed $1,001,842,429 worldwide without F-Bombs, Maggie Gyllenhaal’s titties (Thank God), or rivers of blood and Iron Man, the number two hero movie of last year, grossed $582,030,528 worldwide, also holding the PG-13 rating. I’m sure many of you are saying what about Watchmen, it was rated R and it had a $55 million opening weekend, isn’t that good enough for Hollywood, isn’t it? First of all, calm down, second of all, Watchmen was an extremely adult oriented film and I swear there was a kid sitting with his father when I saw it and he was crying.

Anyway, this just goes with the trend the big wigs at WB are trying to create. Yes, hero movies might suck with a PG-13 rating, but let’s face it, most will suck anyway, either that or it will be based on a comic or hero who has been traditionally written for a PG-13 audience. In either case, toy companies will inevitably be able to pop out armies of action figures for armies of snot nosed screamin’ memes that drag their parents to ^^^^ shows like Fantastic Four.

Oh and I’d like to remind everyone, Sin City is a Dimension film so we’ll still get plenty of all the sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and apparently Jonah Hex, a WB production, isn’t being considered a hero movie, just an adaptation, so we’ll still get plenty of that Wild West violence.

Interesting turn of events....

If I were the studio accountant, I would want my movie to play to as wide an audience as possible. If I were the director, I'd want to be true to my vision. It will be interesting to see how both sides are kept happy.

No boobs, no f-bombs, no rivers of blood, no problem.

Actually, aren't they allowed one f-bomb in a pg-13 movie?

I know this will sound safe, but a well written story doesn't need titties, f-bombs, rivers of blood, etc. However, depending on my mood sometimes all I need are titties, f-bombs, rivers of blood, and no story.

Here is the thing. Titties, F-Bombs, Rivers of Blood for no other reason than just to be there is definitely no loss when it comes to Superhero films. In fact despite this stance I doubt DC would let them have a scene in the next Superman film where Lois walks out of the shower and stands around admiring herself or Superman rips off the head of a mugger and sprays his blood upon the other criminals.

The only thing that worries me is that there are studios always looking for the darker more gritty tales....I just don't want anything dumbed down to reach a PG-13 whereas there are plenty that should never realistically go above it.

There are fans that want a dark and gritty hero movie, but I suspect that they represent a very small percentage of the movie going audience. Most people expect a superhero movie to be stupid. I haven't seen it, but some of the comments I've heard from people who saw Watchmen made me laugh. They expected some stupid hero movie. They complained about too much dialogue and the length of the movie. Some of them couldn't handle "real-life" issues some of these characters where dealing with.

This is non-news. Of course 99.9% of comic book/superhero adaptations are going to be PG-13. Watchmen was an exception and needed to be R. Non-costumed superhero movies like Wanted will still be R, since they play to a more adult crowd anyway.

To this news report I say "duh".

It should have been R rated.

Because, you know, just making it rated R would have automatically made it better.

Back