Valkyrie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh? Are you talking about the pool scene? That wasn't him.

sorry. poor attempt at humor. Perhaps I should've said I didn't like the inclusion of Hitler's full frontal nudity. Who knew Adolf was packing heat? :lol

Wonder whether or not to see this. My disdain for Tom Cruise has put me off seeing it. I am also quite upset, that because of the fact that Cruise is in fact in the film, that I'm rooting for the Nazis to kill him. Anything that makes me root for Nazis is upsetting....

Wonder whether or not to see this. My disdain for Tom Cruise has put me off seeing it. I am also quite upset, that because of the fact that Cruise is in fact in the film, that I'm rooting for the Nazis to kill him. Anything that makes me root for Nazis is upsetting....

He does get seriously hurt at the beginning, so that's something.
I happened to see it for free. I refuse to give any money to Cruise movies.

Refuse to see this. I'm liking Cruise alot more now that he's on defense and behaving like a more humble human being. I'd like this film to tank so he continues to do so.

$30M in 4 days and they're saying its a decent opening? Are they kidding? They spent more than double that just to advertise this thing down my throat every five minutes for the last 8 weeks -- can you tell it pissed me off? -- let alone the budget, let alone the $30M in reshoots. Neither the studio, nor Tom, will see a dime of profit until this thing hits DVD. Look for the DVD in March BTW (they'll want to cash out quickly on this).

He does get seriously hurt at the beginning, so that's something.
I happened to see it for free. I refuse to give any money to Cruise movies.

Hmmm, I do enjoy seeing Cruise hurt. Like you, I refuse to give Cruise money, so I might have to sneak into a showing and watch that part.

I actually have nothing wrong with Tom Cruise as an actor. As a person he is completely and embarrassingly out of his mind. The man is bat-poop crazy. That being said, I consider him an excellent actor in a wide number of movies that he has done, and Valkyrie is one such example. We all go in knowing how the movie is going to end, so it isn't necessarily a manner of looking for twists in the plot, it's seeing whether or not it achieves an emotional pull and portrays the event in a way that remains true to the situation and to the memory of those involved. To that end, I think the filmmakers did an excellent job. They did make some notable alterations, such as portraying Beck in a slightly more dignified light. Not that in life he was not dignified but, when given the pistol to take his own life, he failed to execute himself twice, only grazing himself both times before Fromm ordered a soldier to shoot Beck. It would have debased Beck in the last few moments of the film and drawing out that otherwise powerful moment would have seemed unnecessary and deepen the resulting catharsis even more. A damn fine movie, in my opinion. I'm a huge history buff and love any story dealing with WWII and/or Nazis, and I was originally reticent about them translating this story of German heroism well. The movie quashed those fears. Excellent, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from the german language, is the approach of this film comparable to Der Untergang from a few years back, or is it more a flashy vehicle to show Tom Cruise in another heroic role?

Apart from the german language, is the approach of this film comparable to Der Untergang from a few years back, or is it more a flashy vehicle to show Tom Cruise in another heroic role?

I'd say another flashy heroic Tom Cruise vehicle.

History channel had a tie-in documentary on this week, but they didn't have even as much information as is in the movie. It completely failed to show how what they did was so extraordinary. If I'd have seen this documentary before seeing I'd have assumed there was nothing new there and maybe skipped it. Perhaps they were trying to avoid spoilers, but it was really a poor sales tool if that's what it was intended to be.

Great film, I really liked it. If you go and read what actually happened you will find that the movie is extremely accurate. They even filmed the end scene at the same spot where some of the men were actually executed.

I recommend people read about the actual story, very intriguing and brilliant story.

History channel had a tie-in documentary on this week, but they didn't have even as much information as is in the movie. It completely failed to show how what they did was so extraordinary. If I'd have seen this documentary before seeing I'd have assumed there was nothing new there and maybe skipped it. Perhaps they were trying to avoid spoilers, but it was really a poor sales tool if that's what it was intended to be.

I watched the documentary and it was OK. I think they could've certainly spent more time on why the people trying to kill Hitler were doing it. I'll wait to Netflix the movie but how good can it be knowing the outcome of most of the characters?

Great film. Cruise was good, as was everyone else.

Although I have to point out, there were 4 POTC stars in that movie....Gibbs, Davy Jones, Beckett, and Beckett's right hand man...Heh....

Although I have to point out, there were 4 POTC stars in that movie....Gibbs, Davy Jones, Beckett, and Beckett's right hand man...Heh....

I noticed that too! I thought that was really weird! I was waiting for Geoffrey Rush or Johnny Depp to walk in at any minute! :lol

And we had a Batman Begins guy (Wilkinson) and a Star Wars Guy (Stamp)! Lots of nerd film connections! :rotfl

I was so glad Beckett's character got cancelled because he moved the satchel closer to himself. PWNED! :lol

Well I finally saw this and I have to say that I enjoyed it. The supporting actors really did a great job so I could willingly ignore that it was Tom Cruise. I'd recommend seeing this if you get the chance.

Back