Transformers Grimlock Masterpiece Hasbro

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper33

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is the first Transformers item i have picked up since the first movie figs. Gotta say that it is really pretty neat. The only accessories that it comes with is the crown, sword and gun. No apron, tie, tray w/glasses is included in this version.

Toys R Us Exclusive
$69.99
3 per case

Over all its a pretty nice piece, just really don't care for the price tag is all.

Who all ended up picking this up?

Well it is a lot cheaper than the Japanese version and doesnt come with the additional stuff, im happy with the price for a Masterpiece figure however im still waiting for it to show here in the UK.

I have the original Takara release...Love it! If you think 70 was bad....just be glad you didn't pay the Takara Masterpiece price.

Masterpiece Rodimus up next!

Why did this need its own thread? Surely this could have fit into the "all things transformers" thread.
Not that great of a fig either.

Of all the stupid threads people post in here about senseless nothingness, why gripe about one with an actual topic? MP Grimlock was one of the best pieces Takara made, and the TRU EX gave it a good price tag:clap So just chill out:nana:

Grimlock is a great figure whats eating you???

I picked him up... Im very happy to have to...

Grimlock RULES... :exactly:

Price, size (or lack of), overly simplistic transformation. Not a "masterpiece" by any stretch of the imagination...apart from paint apps maybe.
No, to me, more like an overpriced ultra, or large voyager.

I don't have this guy yet (I will), but I do know that he is as much of a masterpiece figure as any other. Price plays no role; size-wise, he's probably close to being in scale with the seekers (the MP figures haven't exactly been in scale with one another prior to this); and complexity of transformation is irrelevant so long as he transforms. The point is to get him looking good in both bot and alt modes, and he does that.

The overall point of this line is to produce high end updates to G1 figures that adults can enjoy as being better looking and fancier/more complex and detailed than those that came before. And Grimlock succeeds. I will get one sooner or later.

I don't have this guy yet (I will), but I do know that he is as much of a masterpiece figure as any other. Price plays no role; size-wise, he's probably close to being in scale with the seekers (the MP figures haven't exactly been in scale with one another prior to this); and complexity of transformation is irrelevant so long as he transforms. The point is to get him looking good in both bot and alt modes, and he does that.

The overall point of this line is to produce high end updates to G1 figures that adults can enjoy as being better looking and fancier/more complex and detailed than those that came before. And Grimlock succeeds. I will get one sooner or later.

I completely disagree with almost everything you say.
Some of us i guess just expect more for our money, especially when we're paying double you americans are.

If you are talking value for your dollar, this guy costs (at retail in the U.S.) the same as 4 Masters of the Universe figures, and less than half the cost of a single Hot Toys figure. I think that is value for something that looks as great as this does. If you have to pay extra import duties, eBay mark-ups, etc., then I feel for you, but it isn't fair to judge a product based on its aftermarket price. You can say it isn't worth that cost of course, but that argument is independent of the intrinsic quality of the product itself and retail cost.

If you were wanting more for Grimlock (twice as big, funkier transformation, etc.), then I'm sure Takara could have done that. . .and charged fans twice as much. If they did, it sounds like you would still be taking issue with it being too expensive.

If you are talking value for your dollar, this guy costs (at retail in the U.S.) the same as 4 Masters of the Universe figures, and less than half the cost of a single Hot Toys figure. I think that is value for something that looks as great as this does. If you have to pay extra import duties, eBay mark-ups, etc., then I feel for you, but it isn't fair to judge a product based on its aftermarket price. You can say it isn't worth that cost of course, but that argument is independent of the intrinsic quality of the product itself and retail cost.

If you were wanting more for Grimlock (twice as big, funkier transformation, etc.), then I'm sure Takara could have done that. . .and charged fans twice as much. If they did, it sounds like you would still be taking issue with it being too expensive.

Well, see, i think you should include such things when buying, its essential i think otherwise you will end up getting ripped off.
Some of us (like me) are forced to include the cost of shipping/ebay markups etc because more often than not importing something or paying e-pay prices is the only way to get these toys, since hasbro usually decides to either cancel or simply not release half of their line-up over here.

I factor in shipping costs and mark-ups whenever i have to buy a toy online as part of the cost of buying the toy itself, not as seperate costs.

Besides, even if, somehow, by some snow-balls chance in hell id find one of these on the shelves of TRU for regular uk RRP i still wouldnt think he'd be worth it.
(what is he, $70 over there in the US? So he'd be £70 here, which converted into USD is $109!)

I just cant justify spending 70 quid on something this small and simplistic.

And your arguement about if they made him bigger and more complex but even more expensive is moot, as i would gladly pay the price it costs to get a Takara MP Prime, even with the insane import prices/e-pay markup's, as i think that is worth the money because it is a large, complex and heavy toy with die-cast parts, not a tiny, plastic, simplistic POS. Ok so calling Grimmy a POS is a little harsh but you get what i mean.

If i had that kinda money laying around id buy Tak MP Prime in a nano second, along with Magnus as well, and Megatron (i have them all except Magnus). But i didnt so i had to settle for the 20th anniversary MP Prime, which i think was still worth every penny my wife paid for him.

MP Grimlock simply isnt, to me.

It is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it at the end of the day. And to me, he isnt worth more than £40 on the shelf. I could push for £50 ordering online but no more and that would have to include shipping, and even then id think i would rather buy Leader Starscream or Buster Optimus Prime.
Both are much larger and more complex than "MP" Grimlock, but are half the price.

Well, see, i think you should include such things when buying, its essential i think otherwise you will end up getting ripped off.

Why should he do that when he doesn't have to, and can just walk into a store and buy it for $60?

I could push for £50 ordering online but no more and that would have to include shipping, and even then id think i would rather buy Leader Starscream or Buster Optimus Prime.
Both are much larger and more complex than "MP" Grimlock, but are half the price.

Erm, what? Buster Prime is far more expensive then MP Grimlock. I haven't seen him for lower then 100 euros myself. Even in the states, he seems to be going for around $100, maybe $90.

Why should he do that when he doesn't have to, and can just walk into a store and buy it for $60?

Erm, what? Buster Prime is far more expensive then MP Grimlock. I haven't seen him for lower then 100 euros myself. Even in the states, he seems to be going for around $100, maybe $90.

Its my opinion that people should factor in shipping costs as part of the costs for the toy, it just makes better sense to me.
Nobody HAS to, but i think they should. Meh.

I can get Buster prime for just over the cost of "mp" grimlock. Even if he was more expensive than "MP" Grimlock though, he is at least worth the extra cost in my eyes, due to the superior engineering and larger scale.

I think MP Grimlocks awesome. I bought the Takara one long ago and recently picked up the Hasbro one for my GF.

Sure he's a little small compared to MP Prime but hey, its not likely Takara will redesign a larger MP Grimlock. I'm just glad we even have the Masterpiece line at all.

I live on a small island, south of Japan and the shipping for this figure is $200...Also some guy on ebay wants $100 for it... therefore - MP grimlock sucks (and Hasbro too)

(i'm of course kidding)

Nice figure. Too bad they didn't make him a little bigger though.

I actually like the scale. I think (this) is a better scale/size than MP Prime and Megatron (the rest of Takara's "MPs" seem to be on a slightly smaller scale)

Back