Thoughts on Kobukiyia products...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romanomagic

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I'm new to collecting, Sideshow has kind of disapointed me with product delays, paint flaws, and price. What are you thoughts with the Kobukiyia line? I don't really care about re-sell, just want some cool displays for my theatre. Thanks!

The detail on koto stuff is great, as is there paint quality, but I really dislike the vinyl, pvc base of there pieces, it just makes them feel cheap to me.
But if your ok with that they have some good stuff at a good bargain.

I only have one Koto piece and that's the Darth Vader with Pewter Paint Finish. It was my very first piece I got and therefore will always have a special place in my collection. As far as the quality of it, the fact that it's vinyl and PVC doesn't bother me too much, sure it's not the highest quality, but it's still a very nice statue. I think Koto's statues are very nice overall, and the lower price point helps also.

Ive got 12 Koto pieces, but ive stopped getting them now. Im collecting 1/6 Hot toys and SSC now. Koto are ok but for the price id rather go elsewhere. Oh and their early stuff isnt all that its cheap and nasty.

I used to have the Koto 501st clone and loved it. The paint job was top notch and you really couldn't tell it was vinyl. That said, some of the human ones I've seen have been less than stellar.

I got 1 koto, their version of the 2008 Hulk from the movie that just got released not to long ago. I had to get it mainly because im a Hulk nut. Its pretty good, but not jaw dropping. I paid $250 by the time everything was done. All in all im happy with it...I think koto is pretty good. But then again I only own 1 of their pieces, not enough to make an accurate assessment.

Chris

I've got their Iron Man movie statue, and despite the bad rap it gets, I quite like it. I've also got two of their Star Wars pieces on the way, and think a lot of their stuff looks quite good. I don't care about a statue's weight and PVC looks fine to me, so hey, no complaints there. I can't think of a piece of theirs that goes for more than retail on Ebay, so just buy whatever after it launches and save a few bucks.

I have all the Kotobukiya Star Wars Original Trilogy Imperials statues (plus a few exceptions: Leia, Boba Fett, the droids and Yoda), Predator 2 and AVP set. They are all quite cool, the PVC is sturdy and solid, doesn't really break like GG's resin busts for example. The details on some of their statues are amazing: Snowtrooper, Scout, McQuarrie set etc. I don't like the human faces but they don't fit my Imperials collecting focus anyway. Sometimes you can get the statues for an excellent price online especially at TFAW - with the exception of rare ones like the 2 Sandtroopers or Ep. 2 colored clones which are really expensive and hard to find. My Kotobukiya collection

I lied ive got 17 koto not 12 doh. Yeah their ok especially as their more damage resistant than other statues. I do like mine and im still tempted to get Bossk at some point. But beyond that i dont think i will get anymore.

they're very good, except on human likenesses,(they suck). but on aliens, predators, and star wars that are helmeted or masked, they're great.

I dont have any Koto, but I really like their Halo 3 Master Chief Field Of Battle statue... Anyone got it? Does it rule as much it looks? :lol

they're very good, except on human likenesses,(they suck). but on aliens, predators, and star wars that are helmeted or masked, they're great.

Yeah thats true, they do look good except for the human faces. Im more into 1/6 now though so i can pose them, and the SSC stormies look sweet. Hot toys is killing me as well, gonna have to save my pennies lol.

I collected Kotobukiya anime statues back in the day when they released cold-cast stuff, but ever since they switched to vinyl, I stayed away. I had the V1 Vader, and he started to bend and lean forward. Same thing with a FFX-2 Yuna. Not cool at all.

I collect some of the star wars ones. As others have stated, stay away from the human likenesses. Keep your eyes on ebay and places like TFAW, you can get most for 30-50% retail.

The only koto I own is the Batman 1/6 statue. Well worth it to me, thinking about the Devil May Cry ones, they also look good in person.

Back