This Is Why I Think The EU Sucks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arent only the 6 movies canon? Lucas has been involved in alot of this EU stuff already and that doesnt make them canon.

Lucas hadn't been involved in much EU stuff at all until a couple of years ago.

What Lucasfilm considers officially "canon" are any theatrically released SW films. The new CW will be a theatrically released film with George Lucas himself on the credits. Thus, it will be canon.

Can someone expand on the IG-88 being the core of the Death Star?

:lol

In the book, IG-88 is "destroyed" by Boba Fett in a spaceship dogfight. However, he is somehow able to upload his memory core to the mainframe of Death Star II and actually becomes A.I... meaning he essentially IS the 2nd Death Star. :rolleyes:

During the climax of ROTJ, IG-88 is about to use the DS gun to destroy both the Rebels and Imperials and take over the galaxy for himself when KABOOM! He blows up.

Stupidest thing ever in the history of stupid things.

Um, I think that the Dengar comment was maybe a joke? :confused: I think one of the guys mentioned him in the February 26th podcast when talking about armor, so listen for yourself and see what you think... I took it as kind of a joke (he's got weird, hodgepodge armor and a bandaged head!), but who knows, it's hard to tell with the guys sometimes :lol Maybe he'd made a good Con exclusive sometime... or not, whatever.

Download: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/mp3/022608_podcast.m4a

Makes me sad. Dengar is a great looking character. I still wonder what the price increase to $90 will have on character choices. Even though Dengar is complex costume, I doubt many people would pay $90 for him. I think $90 seriously limits the types of characters that will be made from here on out.

Even though Hasbro was nowhere near SSC in quality, the fact that they put something out for $20 is pretty impressive.

In the book, IG-88 is "destroyed" by Boba Fett in a spaceship dogfight. However, he is somehow able to upload his memory core to the mainframe of Death Star II and actually becomes A.I... meaning he essentially IS the 2nd Death Star. :rolleyes:

During the climax of ROTJ, IG-88 is about to use the DS gun to destroy both the Rebels and Imperials and take over the galaxy for himself when KABOOM! He blows up.

Wow...that is just.....terrible.

A lot of the EU does suck. However, I've found several things about it I do like so you just have to pick and choose what flows with everything else.

Usually the minute I realize something is lame is the minute I stop bothering to read or watch it.

Ugh, horrible. I hate the EU too, many claim it adds to the already existing (and well written....well the OT....universe/story) but I feel it takes away. It destroys much of what I loved of the OT, NOT KNOWING STUFF! Mystery and the room to play with it all in my own head.

I don't need to know half this crap, that's why I just ignore it all. If it wasn't in the movies, it doesn't count.

If you're into the EU, AWESOME, KEEP IT! But man, it just degrades the whole thing to me.

The PT did a lot of damage to the OT story already (IMHO) but the EU is way worse.

Wow! Just wow! So Lucasfilm gets all anal about wrinkles on headsculpts and allows this crap to go by?? I'm just speechless........

I feel the EU sucks because they make the galaxy seem so much smaller. It seems like everybody from the movies has run into everyone else in their lifetimes. It's a big galaxy! Dengar doesn't need to meet Han Solo. Things don't need to be so connected! Argh! :emperor

Wow! Just wow! So Lucasfilm gets all anal about wrinkles on headsculpts and allows this crap to go by?? I'm just speechless........

Very good point. The problem is there are obviously separate sets of criteria that LFL Licensing focuses on for EU versus licensed products based on the movies. It's clear that the EU fiction writers can get away with pretty much anything. Basically, there is a list of stuff they CAN'T touch on... like certain characters and time periods, etc. Everything else is pretty much open game and up to the writers and editors. It's my belief that this open canvas is what facilitates a lot of the suckitude that is the EU. If they were even half as anal about that as they are on things like 1/6 likenesses then the EU would be much better. Then again, it would also be a lot smaller with a lot fewer books and products, hence less $$ for Lucasfilm. Like everything else, just follow the money.

I feel the EU sucks because they make the galaxy seem so much smaller. It seems like everybody from the movies has run into everyone else in their lifetimes. It's a big galaxy! Dengar doesn't need to meet Han Solo. Things don't need to be so connected! Argh! :emperor

Exactly... its like they have to tie everyone's personal motives somehow with Luke, Leia, Solo, or any of the other major characters.

I agree with that and maybe this is heresy, but I could have done without Luke and Leia being related even.

All that did was lead to the big let down when Yoda says "There is another (hope)" and Leia never ends up doing much spectacular besides killing Jabba and certainly not showing her force abilities.

Exactly... its like they have to tie everyone's personal motives somehow with Luke, Leia, Solo, or any of the other major characters.

I read/heard that the live action series will have no ties to any of the "main" characters, but a "rebel" who is Padme's cousin will be a "main" character. Thus the indirect/direct tie to the Skywalker name, a few times removed.Anyone else hear this?

I agree with that and maybe this is heresy, but I could have done without Luke and Leia being related even.

All that did was lead to the big let down when Yoda says "There is another (hope)" and Leia never ends up doing much spectacular besides killing Jabba and certainly not showing her force abilities.

Leia shows her force abilities twice. Once in ESB when she senses Luke is dangling from the upside down TV antena and then again on Endor she senses that Luke survived the destruction of IG-88, erm DS II. :monkey3

I read/heard that the live action series will have no ties to any of the "main" characters, but a "rebel" who is Padme's cousin will be a "main" character. Thus the indirect/direct tie to the Skywalker name, a few times removed.Anyone else hear this?

That I am ok with. But if they have a villain who wants revenge on Padme's cousin because once (while a beggar on Naboo) she kicked mud onto his pants so he is hunting every Naberrie to exact his vengence. That is lame.

(Maybe I should pitch it to LFL?) :dunno

Leia shows her force abilities twice. Once in ESB when she senses Luke is dangling from the upside down TV antena and then again on Endor she senses that Luke survived the destruction of IG-88, erm DS II. :monkey3

Woman's intuition. My wife senses every time I don't take out the trash, I don't think she has the force.

:eek:

Back