The Indy Premium Format Figure Countdown/Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm just wondering - what would we be reading if the Exclusive was SUPER AWESOME and a MUST-HAVE?

Examples:

"Man, Sideshow screwed me again, there's no way I can get one of these during work hours on a Friday!"

"Dude, this just goes to show that they don't REALLY care about the collectors because not everyone will be able to get this - and I MUST have the _____!"

(I'm sure people who've been around for all the SW PPO's can probably provide some more...)

We have always tried to keep the exclusives from being a 'must have' for this reason. Basically, it's a little extra thrown in for fun and fandom. Personally, I love the hatless head because he's so handsome (Trevor is amazing!), and some of my favorite moments in the later 2 Indy films are when he realizes he's lost his hat - it's like a running joke throughout the series - I guess our tribute to it in a way? :)

This way, people who want it can get it (hopefully! - I guess the moment of truth comes tomorrow), but those who don't get it won't be in any way disappointed with the regular edition - it's a hard line to toe, and I don't envy those that make the decisions! :duff

So, I'm just wondering - what would we be reading if the Exclusive was SUPER AWESOME and a MUST-HAVE?

Examples:

"Man, Sideshow screwed me again, there's no way I can get one of these during work hours on a Friday!"

"Dude, this just goes to show that they don't REALLY care about the collectors because not everyone will be able to get this - and I MUST have the _____!"

Yup, pretty much, basically.

If we weren't complaining about something, what else would there be to do?

Examples:

(I'm sure people who've been around for all the SW PPO's can probably provide some more...)

We have always tried to keep the exclusives from being a 'must have' for this reason. Basically, it's a little extra thrown in for fun and fandom. Personally, I love the hatless head because he's so handsome (Trevor is amazing!), and some of my favorite moments in the later 2 Indy films are when he realizes he's lost his hat - it's like a running joke throughout the series - I guess our tribute to it in a way? :)

This way, people who want it can get it (hopefully! - I guess the moment of truth comes tomorrow), but those who don't get it won't be in any way disappointed with the regular edition - it's a hard line to toe, and I don't envy those that make the decisions! :duff

I think you'll get those kinds of comments no matter what but this seems to be overwhelmingly different. Sure, some will think the EX is a must have and some will think it sux but a hatless Indy head for such an anticipated PF is really a very strange choice.

Examples:

I get what you're saying, Dusty. I really do. And, yes, there are folks who vent over missing a coveted Exclusive item (personally, I'm not one of them... but I know they're out there and they're vocal).

I just honestly and sincerely think you guys just dropped the ball on this one. No rationalization makes it better. You'd been better off with NO Exclusive version at all.

Nothing personal, though... and we'll just agree to disagree. :duff

Yes, its not that the hatless sculpt is a bad idea... it is a nice option. But if it was that and say a gun hand, or something a little more useable then it would be perfect. But just the head that few will use is kind of an odd choice.

Examples:

I think there would be accessory choices that people would like to have but wouldn't feel too bad about missing. The example of the extra hand with a gun is a good one. To me something like that would be more interesting to have than an alternate portrait without a hat, but I wouldn't feel bad about missing it.

And really, I can't think of anything (within reason) that would make me really sad about missing the exclusive version. Even with the Star Wars stuff, I could easily do without the exclusives. They're just supposed to be something extra to entice customers to order directly from Sideshow rather than buying from somewhere else.

As mentioned before if there were a 1/4 scale hat that he could hold or have at his feet while the hatless head was on then it would have been better. The hat is just too much a part of Indy not to have it somewhere in the display.

I totally agree with Dusty. With a license like Indy, you gotta be careful about the exclusive. A really important exclusive would have really gotten people crazy. Anybody here remember the Nazi Kroenen SDCC uproar?

Anyway, I kind of dig the exclusive for what it is... a really great chance to show off Trevor's sculpt. That's the star of the show to me... heck it would have been cool to get an unpainted one. Now I just need to find a little base to put it on.

You also have to remember there are other Indy PFs coming. We'll get a crack and plenty of other stuff soon.

Dusty, I certainly understand not wanting the exclusive to be a MUST have like say the idol, but we can all agree that there have been good exclusives and not so good ones, right? I think Tom has said it best here:

As far as alternate heads go--it has been pointed out that Anakin has a very important alternate head option which represents a different and noteworthy version of the character. Same with Captain America, Wolverine, Thor or others that I'm forgetting. I think that the problem here is that the hatless option does not represent a suitably different version of the character.

Now a hatless Indy with the red dot on his head after drinking the Blood of Kali would represent a different moment in the life of the character. If Thor had a beard at some point in his comic history, then offering that option gives you a nice choice of stages in his development. Offering Aragorn with his ranger sword swapped out for Anduril, for example, would show the character at two different stages of development (same with Anakin's eyes). In this case, the difference is negligible and not really attractive.

The alternate hand with pistol would show the adventurer side of Indy in contrast to the archaeologist we see with the idol--there's an exclusive that would have shown two different shades to the character. What different side of Indy does the hatless option represent? Hatless Indy doesn't really show him in a different light as a character or at a different point in his journey throughout the saga, so without the exclusive representing a memorable moment or change in the character's story, it's not particularly compelling or attractive as an exclusive.

I agree that the second head is not a particularly compelling exclusive. A gun hand would've been so much better and met the rule of not a "must have".

7192_press01-001-w-gun.jpg

Dusty, I certainly understand not wanting the exclusive to be a MUST have like say the idol, but we can all agree that there have been good exclusives and not so good ones, right? I think Tom has said it best here:

I agree that the second head is not a particularly compelling exclusive. A gun hand would've been so much better and met the rule of not a "must have".

7192_press01-001-w-gun.jpg

That looks really cool.

I understand what everyone has been saying about the exclusive and can relate to both instances. I agree with Dusty because you know everyone would be complaining if the Idol was the exclusive or some "must have". However, Indy is iconic for the hat and few will probably display the hat-less version and would rather have the gun.

I think we should just be happy we get an Indy PF!!!! I think I like the hat-less head exclusive better than a gun would have been because the Idol is just as iconic as the hat. I think Sideshow nailed it and couldn't have been better!

And who knows....I don't know how building these things work and the amount of work (though I'm sure a ton) it takes to make. But how cool would it be if Trev made the gun hand to fit the statues. I think it'd be booming business for you Trev, haha. Then everyone would be happy and get the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
considering everyone and their dog is probably going to want the hatted version for display, the exclusive is going to be pretty desirable, especially if it has a decent es. i know that i won't be buying one without the hat.

any guesses on how long the ex. will take to sell out?

Examples:

Exactly what I've been trying to say but it will plain and simple fall on deaf ears. The piece still is one of the best I've ever seen which is why I think its funny some are acting like their first child was just killed over the choice.

I get what you're saying, Dusty. I really do. And, yes, there are folks who vent over missing a coveted Exclusive item (personally, I'm not one of them... but I know they're out there and they're vocal).

So if you get it then why are you going off about the choice. You not one to gripe about missing one but you're griping about the choice and missing out on something. So your still still griping about it either way. ;) :p

I just honestly and sincerely think you guys just dropped the ball on this one. No rationalization makes it better. You'd been better off with NO Exclusive version at all.

Ya know I love it when someone who doesn't agree and I see it used here a lot that no rationalization will make it better. Sometimes you just get told the plain cold facts and its not rationalization but no matter what the other person has dug their feet in and won't let it through.

In the end why does it matter what the exclusive is? Are you not getting the PF? My guess is you are still getting it. So you still have the best damn PF ever. No big deal in my book.

Nothing personal, though... and we'll just agree to disagree. :duff

Nothing personal? You called the exclusive retarded and said they could bite you. Might be a little late for that. :lol

Examples:

Dusty don't get me wrong I think this is one of the best PF outside Marvel to date but I don't think SS should go down the line of trying to keep exclusives as not must haves. Exclusives should be worth making the effort to collect that is what makes collecting fun. The light up features on the Xmen 1 diorama, the change o head on the Predator maquette. These exclusives are what sets Sideshow above other companies. Please don't go down the route you appear to be indicating. Exclusives should rock.

I will be happy in this instance to just buy the regular one as I would never pose the piece without the hat.

So if you get it then why are you going off about the choice. You not one to gripe about missing one but you're griping about the choice and missing out on something. So your still still griping about it either way. ;) :p

He's griping for the same reason you're griping about his griping. :p

We have always tried to keep the exclusives from being a 'must have' for this reason. Basically, it's a little extra thrown in for fun and fandom.

Dusty (1) I think you and SSC are rocking and doing a fantastic job
(2) I just cant buy this explaination when you come out with things like the GREY HULK, ELVIS'S GUITAR, and even LEIA'S STORMTROOPER BLASTER

The exclusives Ive mentioned are MUCH MORE than 'a little extra'. WRT the Marvel line, this is clearly shown in the aftermarket prices. Personally I think SSC should try to make the EXCLUSIVES MUST HAVES! I'd rather scramble to get a must have and/or hunt for it in the aftermarket than just shrug my shoulders and say "eh, it's only really a little extra"/

PS> I really do think you and SSC rock :rock

There have been "must have" exclusives in the past, but the majority of exclusives are not. It sounds a little to me like Sideshow was worried about the gun or something similar being seen as a must have and people being upset. So maybe they just went too far the other way. I personally prefer it when sideshow makes an exclusive that is cool to have, but not must have.

Back