The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I can't help but wonder is how the series would be perceived had PJ just started filming the books in order and released AUJ in 2001 instead of FOTR (for discussion sake let's pretend that the films would have still turned out exactly the same.)

We'd have no LOTR to look back on when watching AUJ. Just Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Hobbit. And THEN 10 years later the LOTR. I wonder if people would just still be "over" Middle-Earth 10 years later, regardless of quality. I do think that is playing a part with the Hobbit films now.

Who knows. The Harry Potter films kept their box office consistent or growing over 10 years but there was never a long enough period for the hype to die down.

In the 10 years that those movies were out, they pretty much did the same box office all the way through, with the first and last making just a slight bit more. I'm kinda surprised at that. I would think with inflation that each one would do alittle bit better than the last one.

People expect more from the Hobbit movies than the LotR for some reason. I mean a ton more. I do think the last one will do a lot better than DoS does.

I think all the movies have hurt so far this winter with all the storms and weather we've had. A lot of towns and cities have been pretty much shut down and I look for that here for most of next week.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see how the prequel Harry Potter movies that they're planning on will do.

Wow I always pegged you for more of a superhero fanboy. Never realized you had such great taste. :clap :D

You know I'd say I agree. And in a way their epic quality limits the level to which I can "dive in" to the phenomenon. As films, they are pretty much untouchable. But they're kind of like Braveheart. Emotional and grueling (in addition to being wonderfully shot, paced, scored, directed, etc.)

But the "Hobbit" films are more like Star Wars to me. Not something that I'm going to tear up watching or say are the "best films ever made" but so damn fun and magical. They remind of watching the SW OT, playing D&D, reading episodic "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and so on. And to me the Hobbit films ARE the "best" types of those movies ever made. Not Braveheart epics, but something different and in some ways more fun and enjoyable.

I don't ever see myself getting William Wallace 12 inch figures or legos, or Braveheart Art Books or dioramas. And I've kind of always been that way with LOTR. I don't even watch them that often out of reverence. And even if the clouds don't part and Holy light doesn't shine down from Heaven on the Hobbit films I'm LOVING them. LOVING them. And I think when all is said and done they'll be my favorite film trilogy of all time. Movies I can just pour into and enjoy over and over more than all others.

I am just a big nerd for almost everything.

Superheros, Robocop and Terminator are just as much fantasy as JRR.

Heros journey are prevalent in all forms of art.

Some will point to Dr. Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Sunset Blvd and Gone with the Wind for their masterpieces.

My choice has a monster named Lurtz in it. :rotfl

I've poured a lot of time, love, and energy into Middle-earth the last twelve years. I love reading the books (every year), watching the movies (every year), being a staffer at TORn, and collecting items based on the movies. For me it's bringing a world that I love home. Middle-earth to me is something special. I'm loving these Hobbit movies they've got plenty of the books in them and I care about the characters. I do feel these movies are doing a good job of capturing Tolkien's spirit that he put into the book. I also think they're doing a great job of blending with the LOTR films creating the right amount of difference as you get with the books.

The Lord of the Rings films IMO are some of the best movies ever. I watched them again this week and was once again reminded why they're so damn special. I hold off watching them to once a year to keep it all special. As a fan I feel blessed to have the LOTR films be such an epic showing of the material and The Hobbit films doing mostly the same of The Hobbit. It's been a fun run between the two trilogies and next year will be a little bittersweet when TABA comes out.

As much of a tech junkie that I am, I am very grateful that LOTR were made with traditional 24 film, non 3D.

Chris Nolan actually has the best idea when it comes to filmaking, Imax 70mm at 24fps.

Imagine if LOTR had been shot with 70mm film. :horror :thud:

Chris Nolan actually has the best idea when it comes to filmaking, Imax 70mm at 24fps.

No thanks if it means they can only afford to film one take for every scene. I don't need to see Talia's death replayed for three hours on a seven story screen. :lol

No thanks if it means they can only afford to film one take for every scene. I don't need to see Talia's death replayed for three hours on a seven story screen. :lol

Good point.

Regular 35mm film > 70mm

Screw Nolan. :rotfl

Khev just gave me an equivalent of a face slap. :lol

The extreme clarity of the imax 70mm format will always be a better experience than any hfr 3D gimmick nonsense.

As much of a tech junkie that I am, I am very grateful that LOTR were made with traditional 24 film, non 3D.

Wasn't there talk of converting LotR to 3D some time back?

The extreme clarity of the imax 70mm format will always be a better experience than any hfr 3D gimmick nonsense.

Unfortunately, not many people can see it this way. Not everyone has an IMAX close. Nearest one to me is almost 200 miles away. :(

Yeah but it turns everything into a cheapo daytime soap :lol

I'm not saying it's more artistic but the problem with HFR certainly isn't its lack of clarity. :D

What fascinated me about DOS in HFR was that 60-70% of the movie looked like you were just on set watching real people recite lines in some glorified LARP pageant and then you just get blindsided when some equally present fantasy creature wanders on set as if it's just as real as the actors. I was constantly, "heh look at Martin Freeman walking around OH **** THAT'S A REAL ****ING DRAGON!" :panic: :lol The one scene where Smaug comes up to the camera and fills the screen with his teeth was unsettling to say the least.

Weird, but I couldn't help but think it was insanely cool nevertheless. Azog jumping out of invisibility and knocking Gandalf to the ground was *off the charts* wicked in HFR 3D.

Last edited:
Back