The Hobbit body for Gollum?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I've mentioned before, there is an easy way to create a Gollum figure.

You start with the basic body, many with minimum torso articulation. Then add lots of interchangeable arms (reaching, holding, etc.), hands (open, grasping, etc.), legs (walking, crouching, crawling, etc.), and portraits (smiling, angry, etc.). Throw in an extra portrait as an exclusive and you've got a 1:6 Gollum character kit, very much akin to the creature packs. Arms and legs could even have minimal hidden articulation, but this route makes that need pretty unnecessary, and only requires sculpting and painting - even his accessories would be minimal.

Yeah I know people want more articulation, but that's too complicated with a character like Gollum, just as a static figure is boring. This seems to me like the best option.

Like I've mentioned before, there is an easy way to create a Gollum figure.

You start with the basic body, many with minimum torso articulation. Then add lots of interchangeable arms (reaching, holding, etc.), hands (open, grasping, etc.), legs (walking, crouching, crawling, etc.), and portraits (smiling, angry, etc.). Throw in an extra portrait as an exclusive and you've got a 1:6 Gollum character kit, very much akin to the creature packs. Arms and legs could even have minimal hidden articulation, but this route makes that need pretty unnecessary, and only requires sculpting and painting - even his accessories would be minimal.

Yeah I know people want more articulation, but that's too complicated with a character like Gollum, just as a static figure is boring. This seems to me like the best option.

Captain Faramir for the win. :D

i believe faramir's idea would work. SS should have no problem offering a plethora of limbs because it's not like gollum will have any accessories. maybe a fish and a couple conies.

Captain Faramir's idea is interesting, but there's something special in the interaction with a toy when posing and moving the limbs and stuff that popping arms and legs off and on just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure t would make a more accurate collectible, but be something less like a toy than I prefer. In general these items take me back to being young and "playful" and thats what I need maintained even more than realism.

Captain Faramir for the win. :D

I would still prefer a fully articulated figure, but Capn's idea is a good one if SSC decides that would be too cost prohibitive.

But personally I'd prefer to have this body (as is) than one with switch-o-change-o arms and legs.

I'd be concerned with the method of interchanging as well, I'd hate for Gollum's limbs to suffer the issues of the Anakin arm.

Captain Faramir's idea is interesting, but there's something special in the interaction with a toy when posing and moving the limbs and stuff that popping arms and legs off and on just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure t would make a more accurate collectible, but be something less like a toy than I prefer. In general these items take me back to being young and "playful" and thats what I need maintained even more than realism.

I agree with your interaction assessment but that's the supposed difference between Sideshow and Hasbro: Fidelity of detail and the ever increasing price. As previously mentioned, I wouldn't want to pose a simple undressed doll amongst the 12in. works of art released so far. It would look horrible and possibly even laughable. I'll take the "Bubo" route or the "multiple limbs" route over the exposed joints any day.

In my opinion, because of the higher pricing, these "toys" never really fell under the "Playful" header. ("posable statues" for me...)

i think we should be more concerned about just getting the rest of the fellowship before the license expires. does SS have any lines with a complete core cast of characters? i dont think so. they all seem to fade away without a few key characters. LOTR will probably do the same. they cant even sell 1500 pieces of the movie's most central character; frodo. with millions of LOTR fans out there id have to say that this isnt good.

sorry. just venting my frustration with the lotr line's pace and the lack of support it gets from fans. hopefully SS has the license for a long long time.:duff

Yes, completing the Fellowship is a must before Gollum. Still don't know why they went on the Faramir detour. Hopefully they'll unveil Saruman, Gimli and perhaps Merry & Pippin at SDCC.

I'm disappointed in the pace of the line. I've even had thoughts of selling my Boromir Ex. but my gut says I would regret it. I can forgive Gandalf being on the Buck, but hopefully from here on out everything will be on the Prometheus / HT bodies.

Yes, completing the Fellowship is a must before Gollum. Still don't know why they went on the Faramir detour. Hopefully they'll unveil Saruman, Gimli and perhaps Merry & Pippin at SDCC.

I was hoping Faramir was a sign that the line was healthy... but his level of suck seems to have hurt more than help.

I'm probably in the minority (as usual), but I personally wouldn't want an articulated Gollum. Have never liked exposed joints and, in 1/6 scale, the loincloth-only clad Gollum would be nothing but those. His wispy hair strands also are an issue....will they be painted or be doll hair? If painted, then there is really not much difference between that Gollum than the 4 other Gollums already put out by Weta. And since poseability is not a huge "must have" for me, I'm perfectly happy to put one of those in a display with the other 1/6 LOTR figures.

This brings up a question -- what options are there currently for a 1/6 scale Gollum? Anything? Just statues? Is there anything I can buy right now that would look good with my Crack of Doom figures?

Last edited:
Back