The Great Medicom Vader Debate (customizer's POV)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

die

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's a big issue for alot of "collectors" (as we've all heard) and I've always wondered how I'd feel about Medicom Vader from a "customizer's" point of view. Well, finally I broke down and bought one & it arrived today. I'm in the middle on it, some things are great & some things are not so great (isn't that how it is with almost everything anyways?). On one hand, I'm thinking I would display it on a seperate shelf as is, but on the other hand I realize that I can never leave a figure "as is" and I customize everything anyways so why not go for a more accurate ROTJ Vader? :lol

For me, the height isn't the only problem, so I'm not going to try to waste too much time on getting the leg extenders. The bulk of the body just isn't there & to me the overall shape of the body seems awkward. I have never really liked Medicom bodies. Has anybody tried to transplant the gear onto an entirely different body? I figure the medicom suit will be a problem, but I'm thinking if the suit is a problem on a bigger body, I'd go with the Hasbro Ultimate Vader suit which I actually like alot.

Hopefully later I can get some pics of my Medi vader beside my custom vader for comparison. My custom ESB version is certainly not 100% movie accurate, but I do think the height & bulk of the body I used does look like Vader when he's standing there with all his armor on.

worthwhile project or what?

Hey Razz, what body did you use for the Ultimate Vader? I built my Vader on a BBI body & the arms worked perfect with the Hasbro suit, but the BBI arms do seem to be alot shorter than Dragon if I remember correctly.

It'll never be big enough to be true 1/6th scale,hes just too puny,but lovely piece to alter for use with medi stormies etc....
I reworked mine,slight repaint(check out custom mikeys medi vader repaint! awsome),some new reveal details,steel tusksd,leds in the belt boxes/chest box,L.e.d lit saber, painted the neck section of the helmet the correct gun metal tone,
reworkhead.jpg
[/IMG]
reworksaber1.jpg
[/IMG]
rework1.jpg
[/IMG]
ANHmedicomTXT.jpg
[/IMG]

Darthrazz said:
I don't own a Medi vader, but Ithink that the Ultimate Villain Vader suit has very short sleeves.
buy or obtain two suits,use the legs from one (retailored) to make new arms for the other.

I'm still in the process, I'm trying to use a Terminator "big boy body" with leg extensions. I'll keep you posted on it.

Hurricane is correct, use two Ultimate vader suits to create one. That's what I've done as well.

you guys gotta post pics of your vaders,this has got me thinking 'what to do to my medi ROTS vader........:lol

God, Hurricane. I really wish my Medi-Vader was tricked out like yours. just gorgeous. Mine's just repainted.

I wouldn't bother with a new body. The costume just wouldn't look right. No one wants a pinhead Vader with tiny hands and feet.

However, I put magnets in the dome and mask, and now my dome stay on perfectly!

And, since it was mentioned, here's some pics of my Vader repaint.:D

MediVader2.jpg

MediVader1.jpg

P1240002.jpg

P1240005.jpg

Well, if it helps, I'm already a huge fan of all of hurricane's Vaders as well as Mikey's Medi-Vader repaint. I have been since the first time that I saw them. Those are all incredible.

Here's the Vader I made a while back....

vader.jpg

and here's the Medi-Vader beside it....

vaders.jpg

hurricane, nice vader! do you happen to have a comparison shot of your vader next to an average dragon or bbi figure?

die said:
Well, if it helps, I'm already a huge fan of all of hurricane's Vaders as well as Mikey's Medi-Vader repaint. I have been since the first time that I saw them. Those are all incredible.

Here's the Vader I made a while back....

vader.jpg

and here's the Medi-Vader beside it....

vaders.jpg

Die, that Vader looks great! What parts did you use for it?

automaton said:
hurricane, nice vader! do you happen to have a comparison shot of your vader next to an average dragon or bbi figure?
no dragon or bbi im afraid,but heres one with SSc luke.And ANH version with marmit stormtroopers.
DSCF0068.jpg
[/IMG]
ANHmarmitTXT.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the comments guys.

I used a recasted kit, Hasbro Ultimate Villian pieces, BBI Rev Bem body & SS Maul's lightsaber blade for my Vader. The kit itself was kind of a touchy subject for me, I'd had it for years sitting in a drawer. I thought I was buying an original Screamin Vader kit, but it ended up being a recast when I got it. I had to rework some of the areas of the helmet due to some of the missing detail from it being a recast.

vad003.jpg

The helmet is not a full reveal, it's just a partial reveal like in ESB. Most of you know that on the kit, Vaders revealed head is basically just a bald head with what looks like some "veins" sticking out. I decided to sculpt a more burnt looking head for the partial reveal.

vad002.jpg

I wanted to make sure Vader was tall enough. The BBI Rev Bem body worked pretty nicely for height. Here's a pic by Luke for size comparison...

vad1.jpg

I just picked up (well they're on the way) two Kanamit SS 14" figs that I'm going to use... One for Vader and one for Chewie. For Vader is it just the Ultimate Villain pack which is essential to cutomize or were there other Hasbro figs you acquired?

Good luck with this DN.
As for a MediVader? Don't have one. Too small. Even the parts.
GREAT looking Vader though! I would....just not likely.

Back