The Founder (2016) Michael Keaton, Laura Dern

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiFabio

Super Freak
Reaction score
This should be an interesting biopic. Wonder how ruthless they're going to make Ray Kroc. Diggin' the poster.

Chronicling the rise of McDonald's fast food empire, The Founder tells the true story of how Illinois salesman Ray Kroc met brothers Mac and **** , operating a hamburger restaurant in southern California in the 1950s. Kroc subtly maneuvers himself into a position to take control of their company, which grows into one of the world's best-known brands after he buys the chain for $2.7 million in 1961.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After Birdman and Spotlight I can only assume we just got our first image of 2016's Best Picture winner.

Just so long as it's also our first image of 2016's Best Actor winner. Goddamn you, Eddie Redmayne...

I finally got around to seeing this. It's a fantastic film, and one that really leaves you with some conflicting emotions. Pity for the McDonald brothers, a degree of disdain for Ray Kroc, but also, that the McDonald brothers were limited by the scope of their vision and Kroc by the fact that, as much of a go getter as he was, he was not the innovator that they were. He's ruthless, and it's often hard to stomach, at least as it's depicted in the film, but, them, considering the alternative: there probably would be no McDonalds movie without him; hell, there probably would be no McDonalds, other than that one location in San Bernardino.

All in all, it was filled with great performances across the board. Keaton played Kroc with just the right balance of charming and sleazy, but also made you understand him. Offerman and John Carrol Lynch worked very well off of one and other in counterbalancing Keaton's ruthless mogul persona. Overall, it was a great film. Hopefully, Keaton continues the streak from Birdman to Spotlight to this following Spider-Man (which, of it's anything like the rest of its Marvel brethren, should be certified fresh, at the very least :lol). I still hope to see that man win his Oscar; ****ing Eddie Redmayne...:lol

I watched that a month or so ago. Nice flick, but it feels like a TV-Movie at some points. Worth seeing once though.

Kroc aggravated me, as I imagine he did with most. He got it -- I give him that. He saw the big picture and made McDonald's his own. But I felt bad for those two twerps that created the 'fast food kitchen' assembly line... that was their true genius.

But Kroc was, and is, a ****.

Well the ones who succeed financially in this world often are the biggest ***holes. That's no shock to me. You've got to be willing to exploit every advantage and promote yourself at the expense of others. It doesn't often lead to happiness, but for some that's not the end goal.

Well in fairness. . .he was given a million dollar loan and a VP spot in his dad's company at age 25. So, instead of having to scratch and claw his way up, he was handed success on a silver platter. Plus, he's apparently millions upon millions in debt. BUT, to maintain and expand on your apparent wealth, even after failing over and over again with your own businesses, I agree with you. . .stiffing all those laborers and whatnot, the Trump University thing, cowing people left and right with frivolous lawsuits, etc. It's not something I'm sure I could do. So I'll always be poor :(

*unless you meant Obama as our "recent President" :lol

No I meant Trump, but picked him mainly because of your 'a-hole and self-promoter' comments. He definitely did not need to "work" for his fortune like Kroc did.

That's why I have respect for Kroc, even if I don't like him. I have neither respect nor like for Trump.

Watched it this weekend and enjoyed it very much. I do feel very bad for the McDonald brothers, but they never should have agreed to that “handshake” deal.

Also, Kroc should have been a bigger man and either talked to his investors into giving the Brothers what they wanted (just 1%!), or even splitting his own percentage in order to give the Brothers SOMETHING, even like a half percent, just so it’s somehow in the contract. Or, he could have even set up some kind of trust for the Brothers and their dependents or even willed part of his portion. I mean, according to the epilogue, Kroc’s wife ended up leaving 1.5 Billion dollars to charity! So they had plenty!

I do think Kroc did to the right thing in pushing the Brothers to franchise. Someone would have come along and eventually copied the formula and would have found success if they didn’t. The Brothers could have also gone along with Kroc’s suggestions in order to stay in the deal, and keep their own restaurant running however they wanted. Uno’s Pizza from Chicago does this. The original Uno’s restaurant in Chicago does its own thing, and the franchises all over do something different.

You can see how frustrated I found the situation!

Back