Stunning Scully Repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Dare

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I ran into these photos of a great repaint of Autopsy Scully by Seoul, Korea's master brushman JC Hong. If only they could come like this straight from the box...
x-file-hong-tiger231.jpg

BEAUTIFUL paint job! Although I think she looks more like Lisa Marie Presley now with the darker hair & eyebrows. But those eyes are gorgeous. :google

Gruff Old Bear said:
Hmmm. I get Access Forbidden, even on the homepage. Odd. Andy can see it. I can't. Thanks for trying.

All part of their diabolical scheme to slowly drive you mad!

First this, then tomorrow, they'll take all your pencils, break the tips off and carefully splint them back into place!

Or perhaps the below is what they are referring to:

I too had a problem with the link but did a Google search for JC Hong to find his blog, which came up without a hitch.

As for the likeness, I think JC Hong made an error with the eyebrows. They arc passed where they should. Otherwise, it's an amazing paint job. He's also the artist responsible for making Arnie Kim's Bruce Lee custom figures look so lifelike. I hope the Enterbay production pieces look nearly as good.

It doesn't appear that Double Dare posted any pictures, so it is really strange if he did...

As for Scully, it still doesn't look like the actress, but good paint job nonetheless.

The repaint looks great, but the hair and eyebrows are indeed too dark. The eyes look better but the production ones weren't half bad. Maybe all they need is an extra coat of high gloss to make them look more life like?

Absolutely beautiful work. But why did he make her eyes green when they are blue? Or am I going colorblind?

Yeah those eyes are nice, I was sad to see the production Scully with fixed eyes looking forward.

The proto looked so good.

I want a Scully that looks just like that background photo! Anything less just isn't Scully...

When I get some minor hosting issues resolved, I'll post a couple of photos, but if you've got the time to drill through JC Hong's blog (thanks Bum!) you'll find his repaint of the first Scully, a really startling repaint of Buffy that brings out the SMG in the sculpt, and a Hot Toys Marilyn Monroe that has been ruined by bringing her eyes into alignment.

I'm not sure I like whatever JC is doing to his skin base -- it's like orange peel finish on a wall. And I don't think he painted my Arnie Kim "Game of Death" Bruce Lee figure. He'd get billing if he did.

Gruff Old Bear said:
I'm not sure I like whatever JC is doing to his skin base -- it's like orange peel finish on a wall. And I don't think he painted my Arnie Kim "Game of Death" Bruce Lee figure. He'd get billing if he did.

I believe you're right about him getting credit as they tend to acknowledge one another's efforts like all good customizers should. However, I have no idea who actually painted the custom production pieces as I don't have one of Arnie's earlier figures. Instead, I was referring to the various Lee prototype pics and a few other Lee images I've seen. Still, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be getting a helping of crow (or a tofu substitute) to eat as I assumed that JC was always the painter (including that of the custom figures released in very small quantities). In this regard I may be wrong. As you've said and I agree, and as is obvious when looking through both websites, that each state from where various things come from (whether it be a paint job, a Hayashi head sculpt, etc.).

I've wondered why the images on Arnie's website appear different from what I remember and you may have hit upon why. I suppose it was selective memory at work, ony my part that is. Most of Arnie's images appear similar to what I remember a couple of years ago regarding the paint application, but I prefer JC Hong's painting of Arnie's Bruce Lee head sculpts and seem to have forgotten what they looked like long ago until revisiting Arnie's website over the past month and until you pointed out your observation.

I have a saying that I like to always be right, except when I'm wrong. If I'm wrong here then I apologize and await my helping of tofucrow or tocrow or whatever it's called.

Tofurkcrow?!

Nah, that can't be what it's called either.

Back