Star Wars Prequel Rewrite/Recut (The Blackened Mantle)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K07

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/lDLM-dXP-KE

This is actually pretty cool. I have heard of the prequels being recut to make "better movies" but even with tighter editing and the fat trimmed, you're still left with some horrid dialogue and the same storyline originally presented by Lucas. Using the Japanese dub to rework the dialogue and the story with original subtitles is genius. The choice in the language is a nice nod to the influence Samurai had on the development of the Jedi.

I have watched this and think it does wonders for the character of Anakin. It strengthens the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, removes Midichlorians and the Chosen One Prophecy, reworks the Anakin/Padme romance, retains the good jokes and removes the silly ones, merges two villains into one character, and changes the stuffy, monastic Jedi into a kick-ass chivalrous order while still maintaining their spiritual sides.

Watched some scenes on fast-forward... Interesting.
Will watch the entire thing at some point, thanks for posting. :)

I'd read about a fan cut of the prequel trilogy that was done a few years ago that significantly tightened up the narrative, so I'll have to watch this at some point. I'll probably like it a lot better. With the studios trying to milk audiences with franchises, trilogies, quadrilogies, connected universes, etc.a lot of movies are becoming unnecessarily bloated. The best recent example of that is The Hobbit. Good grief. But even standalone movies can sometimes use a good edit. Speaking of Jackson, I always wanted to see a recut of King Kong that trimmed about 45 minutes.

I can't believe they kept that awful scene where Anakin is surfing on the back of the "cow" to impress Padme.

:lecture Yes! That is thee worst scene in Star Warsdom ever! I saw that movie in imax and it had been cut out. Totally made the movie better to me just from removing that whole terrible picnic scene and some of the crap between Anakin & Padme that lead up to it.

OP: thanks for posting. Gonna check it out.

You can't fix these movies even with the best editing. Watching clips of that I thought maybe I could edit it into something decent. Something comparable to the Original Trilogy. But I would want to reshoot and rewrite scenes. What's the point in that? It's not my movie. I was reminded of Plinkett's review when he mentions how Mace Windu walks when Anakin tells him that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. It's just silly looking at those movies now. The only good things are some of the lightsaber battles and the Episode II asteroid scene.

I can't believe they kept that awful scene where Anakin is surfing on the back of the "cow" to impress Padme.

Agreed. They got rid of R2 flying and torching battle droids. Apparently they liked that moment. I think even the worst of moments that made this cut felt less cringe worthy with this improved dialogue. It is what it is.

The dialogue was much better for the most part. I watched it up to the 5 minute scene of young Anakin at dinner and gave up(about a half hour in). The Japanese dubbing and subtitles take your attention away from Hayden's atrocious acting but the fact is, nothing can save these abominations. They're just way too goofy.

The dialogue was much better for the most part. I watched it up to the 5 minute scene of young Anakin at dinner and gave up(about a half hour in). The Japanese dubbing and subtitles take your attention away from Hayden's atrocious acting but the fact is, nothing can save these abominations. They're just way too goofy.

Oh, I forgot about that. Like some of the others here I jumped around a bit and previewed some stuff. Does he still make her eat the floating apple?

The absolute worst scene in the movie. And that's saying something considering Jar-Jar, not to mention the slapstick droid humor that fell flat, the wooden acting across the board, and the dreadful scenes where Lucasfilms employee's kids were shoehorned into parts. But you know you're in trouble when your two main leads have zero chemistry.

I do give kudos for brilliant art direction which Lucas does really well. Maybe if fans keep tinkering with the edits (and talented CGI artists work up some additional scenes) someone will come up with a cut that can be somewhat enjoyable. With all their flaws, I'm still glad the prequels were made. But also relieved the franchise in Disney's hands now.

Back