SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not a Sideshow hater by any means. In fact, I love the new TOD Indy and I think it blows HT’s Indy out of the water. It’s a great figure that I would put toe to toe with any HT figure.

However, I recognize that Sideshow can be hit or miss and it’s a big gamble as to whether their production piece will come close to their prototypes. With HT, you are more assured that you will get something very close to their prototypes, occasionally even better.

Like I said before, HT are coming in sometimes cheaper than Sideshow, for a more consistently good quality. So HT is always a safe bet.

I’m anxiously awaiting the full reveal for this figure. I’m curious as to what the accessories will be and what the final price will be. If it’s a good deal, i.e. lots of accessories and a fair price, then I’ll consider it. Luke is not a priority in my collection so I’m fine letting this one pass by.

As far as whether HT will make him or not, I still have no clue. HT definitely has the ESB license, as Jack Bauer told us. But it’s a mystery as to whether they will tackle this particular look. Jack said that it was only going to be 3 or 4 (I don’t remember offhand) figures from ESB, so it might not make the cut. OTOH, I don’t see how HT would NOT do this version of Luke since it’s so iconic. Maybe it’ll just come a few years down the line.

Looks great from the preview! I'm hoping Sideshow aces this one and throws in a ton of accessories because this is the version of Luke I've been waiting for.
I'd be more certain of preordering this if HT was doing it but Sideshow has made improvements lately.

HT obviously did not score the ESB license.

HT has a license to all SW properties. That doesn't mean they'll make figures from all properties and it definitely means they won't make the same version of a character at the same time as their partners, Sideshow.

HT are coming in sometimes cheaper than Sideshow,

It's pretty obvious on the new human SW figures why their prices are cheaper - the quality stinks. Clothing is not even close to the level of Sideshow's latest efforts (let alone when you compare to Threezero and some others) and the sculpts are downright terrible. I feel like I'm stuck in some Twilight Zone where people prefer Taco Bell to a Michelin Star-awarded menu.

It's pretty obvious on the new human SW figures why their prices are cheaper - the quality stinks. Clothing is not even close to the level of Sideshow's latest efforts (let alone when you compare to Threezero and some others) and the sculpts are downright terrible. I feel like I'm stuck in some Twilight Zone where people prefer Taco Bell to a Michelin Star-awarded menu.

Then Ill have a #6 Taco Grande. I love HT and can't wait to see more and purchase more. This SS figure is ok.

As far as humans, your "undisputed kings" shipped Hoth figures with incorrect bodies to half the people who bought them--with Luke taller and his vest looking like it was bursting open, and were using a strange eye system which was likely considered a failure as they've now ditched them.

They just released a nice looking Luke X-wing for $240! that most people who have say the helmet needs to stay on as it's not up to par without the helmet. And they're now releasing a very similar figure (while the exclusive for the X-wing is still available months after first shipping) that likely uses many of the same parts, and possibly parts from the Hoth figures.

Don't know how any of that is supposed to blow anyone away. That said, this figure does have a lot of promise. Little bit scared of the price though.

As far as humans, your "undisputed kings" shipped Hoth figures with incorrect bodies to half the people who bought them--with Luke taller and his vest looking like it was bursting open, and were using a strange eye system which was likely considered a failure as they've now ditched them.

They just released a nice looking Luke X-wing for $240! that most people who have say the helmet needs to stay on as it's not up to par without the helmet. And they're now releasing a very similar figure (while the exclusive for the X-wing is still available months after first shipping) that likely uses many of the same parts, and possibly parts from the Hoth figures.

Don't know how any of that is supposed to blow anyone away. That said, this figure does have a lot of promise. Little bit scared of the price though.
e95358a07970d49d31f5f59912b8dd0b.gif

Exactly my thoughts! Thanks. I started losing interest in the Hoth wave..then the faulty Jango parts and well...3PO.

yo @TonTon... can I ask you a question? I bought the Hoth Han & Luke (Generally happy with them) But I do remember seeing that body swap issue, My Luke's vest does have the issue of it looking a bit bulging at the center closure, is it a fact that the bodies just need to be swapped? Or is it possible that the figures are two Han bodies, instead of just accidentally swapped?

I don't have my figures in front of me so I can't verify if one is shorter than the other, just wondering if it's a body swap issue or just an incorrect body.

yo @TonTon... can I ask you a question? I bought the Hoth Han & Luke (Generally happy with them) But I do remember seeing that body swap issue, My Luke's vest does have the issue of it looking a bit bulging at the center closure, is it a fact that the bodies just need to be swapped? Or is it possible that the figures are two Han bodies, instead of just accidentally swapped?

I don't have my figures in front of me so I can't verify if one is shorter than the other, just wondering if it's a body swap issue or just an incorrect body.

I had the same issue with my Luke and Han hoth set. I switched the bodies right away after reading these forums. The body swap on mine did make a difference for Luke's vest and now looks as it should according to height and appearance.

From your description it sounds like Luke is on the bigger body. The best way to check on Han is to get a look at his abs. Remove the large coat and left up the shirt/Bespin coat and if his ab section looks like the middle body's abs in the link/image below then it's the short body. If it has the larger ab section (the blue parts on the left and right bodies) then it's also on a taller body.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prodblog/052009pro-07.jpg

I just swapped the Han and Luke bodies and they were much better, Han becomes a slight bit taller instead of a slight bit shorter. And Luke's vest closes a bit more. I did a comparison way back to show how even the stitching even becomes more aligned with the switch (left side).

0AEF64DE-FF07-40C8-B589-2A1048C65B9E_zpse8emn26o-2.JPG

The only negative on Luke is the sleeves become a little bit loose/baggy. For Han's part, I ditched the Bespin coat when putting him back together so he wouldn't look too bulky/puffy.

Exactly my thoughts! Thanks. I started losing interest in the Hoth wave..then the faulty Jango parts and well...3PO.

Yeah, Jango seemed like a bit of a disaster with regard to all the armor falling off for a lot of folks.

Last edited:
And even better still - the Luke X-Wing body.

It's a perfect fit.

(And incidentally after looking at your photos, the stitching lines up perfectly on the X-Wing body).

25937333052_6bcea4764e_o.jpg

Because you can replace a body for $15 to $20 but a head is going to cost you $200 to $300 and clothing another $100 to $250 on top of that. And HT's Han needs at least a new head (realistically also new boots). Their Luke needs new head and clothes.

The flat paint on the Hoth figures is perfectly serviceable - a sculpt that looks like it fell out of the back of a turnip truck (HT's humans minus Leia) can't be displayed even at the back of the darkest drawer in this house.

No one makes an absolutely "perfect" figure, but to throw Sideshow under the bus while praising Hot Toys all the time is absolutely laughable. IMO, HT have put out very poor human OT figures. Even the one with the best likeness, Leia has an absolutely atrocious gown - no one has been able to do anything with it yet.

So yeah, given the history and a contemporary evaluation of releases, Sideshow is still the king of SW 1/6. Should figures from both companies keep going the way they are, I'm happy to see Sideshow continue to offer OT characters.

Last edited:
Where can I get true type caliber bodies appropriate for luke at $15-20? Or really any character for that matter. I have given up and started paying $35-80 for parted out true types because the generic knock offs are usually not very good.

Back