Statue SS Conan the Barbarian Fury of the Beast Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be ironic if in years the Sacrifice slave girl will be highly sought after because people don't display her and it will get lost or broken?

I hope not to start an argument here, I like ARH works, I really really love their Minotaur, as I said I'm skipping the Queen of the Dead to jump on the Minotaur so you can easily guess how much I like it.
But I must say that their Conan is wrong on so many levels, it's just not the horrible girl sculpt (everything, face, body, pose).
I don't like Conan's anatomy, he needs more muscular definition, but his head sculpts and faces are what I really can't like by any mean, they're all wrong. The cartoonish style really doesn't adapt to an old school fantasy character, imho.
The snake is good, well done, but it lacks the aggressiveness and sense of menace that the ape has in the Fury of the Beast.
And this leads to the other big problem, imho: the poses.
Conan is in the old boring attack pose that we know since McFarlane Conan's action figure, while the snake is at his same level, that's why it doesn't seem menacing.
Look at this:

Conan%20the%20Usurper.jpg

Same snake (long and "tiny" body), but in this picture Conan is chained and the snake stands above him, ready to strike. This is how you channel the drama of a scene. If Conan fights such an opponent by standing on his same level, you lose pathos.
The Fury of the Beast excels in delivering the sense of desperation of a man (even as strong as Conan) who really needs to resort to everything in order to beat a much stronger opponent, you look at it and you know that you're looking at a frozen moment of a deadly battle and only one of the two characters portrayed will walk away on his own legs. It's the fact that the hero is in difficulty that gives the sense of how epic is the battle - if the hero is just battling his opponent on an even level, you lose this epic factor.
Imho, of course.

I don't know who saw the Sacrifice in person but I did. It looks menacing and it has a presence.

Back to this thread. I'm unpacking Fury now.

Conan would look like he is having sex with the beast. Fury of the beast would have a different meaning entirely

The box actually has artwork straight from Savage Sword Of Conan Iron Shadows in the Moonlight as well as artwork of the white Ape.

I hope not to start an argument here, I like ARH works, I really really love their Minotaur, as I said I'm skipping the Queen of the Dead to jump on the Minotaur so you can easily guess how much I like it.
But I must say that their Conan is wrong on so many levels, it's just not the horrible girl sculpt (everything, face, body, pose).
I don't like Conan's anatomy, he needs more muscular definition, but his head sculpts and faces are what I really can't like by any mean, they're all wrong. The cartoonish style really doesn't adapt to an old school fantasy character, imho.
The snake is good, well done, but it lacks the aggressiveness and sense of menace that the ape has in the Fury of the Beast.
And this leads to the other big problem, imho: the poses.
Conan is in the old boring attack pose that we know since McFarlane Conan's action figure, while the snake is at his same level, that's why it doesn't seem menacing.
Look at this:

Conan%20the%20Usurper.jpg

Same snake (long and "tiny" body), but in this picture Conan is chained and the snake stands above him, ready to strike. This is how you channel the drama of a scene. If Conan fights such an opponent by standing on his same level, you lose pathos.
The Fury of the Beast excels in delivering the sense of desperation of a man (even as strong as Conan) who really needs to resort to everything in order to beat a much stronger opponent, you look at it and you know that you're looking at a frozen moment of a deadly battle and only one of the two characters portrayed will walk away on his own legs. It's the fact that the hero is in difficulty that gives the sense of how epic is the battle - if the hero is just battling his opponent on an even level, you lose this epic factor.
Imho, of course.

Noted
Hope someday you will see the ARH version in person.
Logistics didn't allow the snake to be even bigger than the 8ft he is already. Nightmare to ship, if he was any bigger.

The base is really heavy so the box is bottom heavy. The box is large and awkward, so one good drop and kaput.

Well pics are taken, all the snow is vacuumed off the floor and it's all boxed up. SS is closed until Monday, so I will call then.

Back