Sovereign Studio news/updates 2009

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SovereignStudio

Super Freak
Reaction score
04/02/09

Taking a cue from Les, I'm starting a new "home" thread for ongoing projects and general updates. I'll still start new threads for new projects as they develop, but this is for current/onoging stuff and the latest drama.

As many of you probably know thanks to pjam's updates (thanks, bro!) my home computer crashed about three weeks ago now. And I do mean CRASHED! Totally fried the hard drive. I have a friend who does IT work for the Navy, so that's been helpful to say the least. He sent me a new hard drive, and that one fried as well during the OS install. He sent yet another one, got it just a few minute ago. He says it must be a "BIO" something or other I don't understand and he can talk me through the install but says it will be compliated this time aruond because of a bunch of tech stuff we didn't have to do last time. (Since first writing this early today, my PC is now up and fully functional once again!)

The GOOD news..... I'm making a ton of progress with what remains of the outstanding orders. I have 13 orders boxed and ready to go out; everything from full figures to heads and accessories. As soon as I'm finished painting these tiny sneakers, the entire Newt list is complete and ready to go!! I've got a freezer bag full of Newts sitting here, sans shoes. I've got three more 89 Keatons (SE) at 90% and I'll have to double check this, but I believe that completes the outstanding list. The Crow figures are done and out of here. The Scarecrow mask/jacket sets are done, so are the head/mask combos I offered a few weeks ago. I'm casting a pile of Mola Ram parts now and starting to put together what's left of that run. Morethanatimelord posted some great pics of the Mola Ram he received recently, check those out. The Indy gear is also in production. I have the needed amount of the fabrics dyed to spec, and the jacket material is finished (yes, I make my own jacket material). AND.... those rubber arm/leg sleeves are done, too!! I know you guys have have waited a long time in most cases, and it's all coming in one big flood.
Maximus is also coming very soon!! I had a ton of people on that list, hopefully they'll still be there. I picked a terrible time to debut that one; right in the middle of the x-mas shopping season and at the beginning of the recession panic. He will be "re-introduced" soon, in a really special way.

I've been laying low, staying away from the board and focusing on work. It's steaming along enough now that I feel confident about accepting new orders. I've been accepting a few small orders here and there, but I've been turning down a lot of stuff, too so I could myself out of my backlog. I feel I can put myself and my work back out there now full time and manage it the way I used to.

My new plan from this point on........
I will be accepting a very controlled amount of work at any one time from now on. I will take no more than 3 orders for complete figures and no more than 4 orders for smaller items (heads, paint work, etc) in a one week period. Once paid for they will made and shipped in a 1-2 week window, and then I will take on more. For right now, I'm setting turn-arounds at 4-6 weeks for new orders. As the Indy stuff rolls out this will decrease to the 1-2 week window. Believe me, I can do it. Go back to my early days here, the original Keaton thread. A lot of guys called me 'the machine' :lol I'm there again. I'm done halting comissions in mid-stream, wondering what improvements could be made and spending weeks at a time exploring them, I'm amazed how fast I can work. I've made all the upgrades to my catalog I can make, and I'm done with that. Anything I think of in the future will be done TIME PERMITTING, not at the expense of other peoples' time and will be offered along the way as upgrade part. I'll still be doing new figures (also, time permitting) and headsculpts. I sculpt fairly fast, and that's what I end up doing with my 1 or 2 days off, anyway.

I really want to thank all of you for your support, encouragement and patience with my picky and obsessive way of working. Throwing everything out of whack to improve my work is really where I screwed myself. I wasn't off being lazy, not taking this seriously. If anything I take this all TOO seriously. I obsess over it. I never did that when I sold only on eBay. I never bothered to do massive upgrades to stuff then. Those guys always loved my work, but you don't get the kind of support, encouragement and near-celebrity status you get here for work well done, and I live through my work. The more my work was loved, the more I wanted it to be loved. So, in a way, this is really you guys' fault :lol

Long story short; my computer is up, stuff is flying out of here and I'm open for full-time business again in a much more controlled and responsible manner. I'll have all new photos soon. In the meantime, check out my site for (most) of what I offer.

Last edited:
:rock:rock great to hear man !. :rock
Keep up the great work . :rock I just recieved , FMLes hicks head which is amazing , I have dark artist painting my Ripley ( and vasquez ) and I can't wait to add Newt with them. :rock:rock:rock

Thanks for the update Shawn and no worries. With all the compliments I've heard about your Indy gear, I don't mind the extra wait for the jacket. Be a perfectionist - it means my figure will look all the better! :rock

Great update.

Any progress on the original Michael Myers heads?

I'll have new pics soon. I lost EVERYTHING in the crash; 8 years worth of photos, my dinosaur version of Imagefolio that kept me from having to learn photoshop.. everything. What can you do, though? One more symbolic layer to my fresh start in 09, I guess.

That is good news! Thanks for the update S.

Can't wait for the mask/straightjacket!

Rob

Thanks for the update Shawn and no worries. With all the compliments I've heard about your Indy gear, I don't mind the extra wait for the jacket. Be a perfectionist - it means my figure will look all the better! :rock

:lecture :D

Great post, thanks for the update!

Good to hear your back Shawn:) You didn't mention it, but I wanted to ask about my Batman Returns. Hopefully it's in the big pile of '89 Bats! Thanks!

Thanks for digging those pics up, Evil! I saved them. I've got that mold right here. I can take orders for those. I'm going to repost this as a set when I have a Loomis painted.

Good to hear your back Shawn:) You didn't mention it, but I wanted to ask about my Batman Returns. Hopefully it's in the big pile of '89 Bats! Thanks!

Sure is!! :D Didn't want to hold him for the upgrades I have in mind down the road (as per the new rules ) but I did want him more flexible. I made his armor in latex, but from the original urethane molds. Not a problem at all, but it does take about 4 days for it to fully cure this way. Rubber molds can't leach the water out of latex like a plaster mold does. I pulled it out of the mold yesterday, looks great. So, it's a partial upgrade without the lengthy retooling/remolding process.

Thanks for the update Shawn!

Out of interest, do you still have track of everyones orders seeing as your comp crashed?

Hi Shawn glade to see you back and that your friend helped you out with your computer.I was wondering if my batman is one of the completed ones ?

Thanks
Billy

I assume that one of the completed 89' Keaton Batman's is also what I am waiting for as well.

Shawn I would appreciate it if you could PM me so we can discuss shipping arrangements so that this one will not get lost in the post.

cheers

Thanks for the update Shawn. Glad you got your comp up and running! So what are we looking at honestly, time frame wise for the Indy gear? Your stuff is top notch :gun:whip

Hey Shawn, great to have you back. I sent a PM to you about my address change awhile back. Let me know that you got that, I'd hate for my stuff to go the the wrong address :lol

Welcome back present:

sovereignstudio1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back