Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I've been participating in this discussion passionately with one foot firmly planted in each camp. But Supes arrived today, and I have to say I couldn't be happier:

249image.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like now folks are justifying spending hundreds of dollars on PVC, if that's the case Neca needs to raise there prices equal to SS...sheeple will pay it.

Sent from my System Product Name using Tapatalk

Sounds about right.

ha ha that made laugh but i am also drunk and there is a bat chasing me home.

i paided 749.99 for c3po polystone and r2d2 was pvc. sideshow production needs to communicate better then this. GL peeps on there refunds.

SS mentioned this "PVC" and the process to manufacture it is more expensive than using polystone. Not sure if this is true

I don't buy it. I don't feel like typing out why because I want to go to bed. Maybe tomorrow though. :rotfl

I've been reading this up at both freaks and SF and there are some very misleading info from SSC. They are right to say PVC is more expensive but technically it's only the process that is. If it's mass produce, PVC is far cheaper then Polystone to manufacture.

He is an article written about different plastic used from figures, toys to statue...

The Materials and the Figures

PVC is used to manufacture figures primarily because it's very cheap when compared to other plastics and it's somewhat resistant. Because PVC is a thermoplastic, it's easy to work with it and it's recyclable.
The PVC used to manufacture scale figures has low quantities of plasticisers so it won't be too rubbery and soft. Good quality PVC is smooth to the touch and has a skin-like appearance which cannot be achieved by using other plastics such as ABS.
PVC is also very fragile and has low resistance against high temperatures and pressure. Those two factors can cause PVC to bend or deform in some other way.
A good example of PVC use (despite the figures) is Nendoroid heads, gashapons, some prize and trading figures, the upper body of figures, etc.

ABS is used primarily for the bases and legs of figures. ABS is a very sturdy plastic and it won't bend, (ABS is the kind of plastic that will break before bending). Because of its hight resistance, ABS is used when manufacturing weight bearing parts.
No good company will make a figure entirely of PVC because as mentioned before, PVC can't handle the it's won't weight without deforming. Some figures manufactured prior to 2007 were made entirely of PVC, which caused them to bend and lean. Like this: View spoiler
Even though ABS is resistant and it won't bend, the very thing that makes it so great can also make it even more fragile than PVC. Depending on how high the fall is, ABS may break, like this: View spoiler Which wouldn't happen to PVC because PVC (the type used to make figures) won't actually break, just bend. But don't worry, good quality ABS won't get damaged very easily and will hardly break because of a fall.
ABS can also very shiny and it has a more plastic appearance than PVC and Vinyl. It is used to make Figma faces and hair, Figmas and Nendoroid joints, scale figure's bases, figure's lower body, LEGO and many other things.

Soft Vinyl is used to manufacture Dollfies and many other figures. Vinyl can be just like PVC (soft and bendable) or like ABS (sturdy but breakable), it varies greatly depending on what it's being used for. Vinyl can also be smooth and have the same skin-like appearance PVC does, but Vinyl is more expensive than PVC and it's a little harder to handle if used to manufacture scale figures, making the manufacture process more complicated and therefore more expensive.

Cold Cast, Polystone and Resin are all very sturdy and fragile. Neither one of them can survive a fall and they break quite easily. They're used to make scale figures, garage kits, larger statues, vases and many other things. They are very resistant against temperature, humidity and they're considerably easier to clean.
Cold Cast and Polystone are similar to porcelain in appearance and resin may have the same appearance as PVC but all the three of them are much, much heavier and expensive.

Last edited:
I remember when SS fanboys could call Hot Toys fanboys "Toy Collectors".

Ah the good ole days, they do go by so fast.

First hollow sculpts ... Retort I collect weight not statues.

Second no ES ... retort I collect ES not statues.

Third no polystone but PVC ... Retort I collect PVC not statues.

Welcome to the new world of 1/4 scale Nonexclusive plastic blow molded toy collecting aka SSC :lol

I only kid because I care.

In time newer Sideshow collectors may look at their collection and wonder if they are collecting toys themselves.

I've been reading this up at both freaks and SF and there are some very misleading info from SSC. They are right to say PVC is more expensive but technically it's only the process that is. If it's mass produce, PVC is far cheaper then Polystone to manufacture.

He is an article written about different plastic used from figures, toys to statue...

The Materials and the Figures

PVC is used to manufacture figures primarily because it's very cheap when compared to other plastics and it's somewhat resistant. Because PVC is a thermoplastic, it's easy to work with it and it's recyclable.
The PVC used to manufacture scale figures has low quantities of plasticisers so it won't be too rubbery and soft. Good quality PVC is smooth to the touch and has a skin-like appearance which cannot be achieved by using other plastics such as ABS.
PVC is also very fragile and has low resistance against high temperatures and pressure. Those two factors can cause PVC to bend or deform in some other way.
A good example of PVC use (despite the figures) is Nendoroid heads, gashapons, some prize and trading figures, the upper body of figures, etc.

ABS is used primarily for the bases and legs of figures. ABS is a very sturdy plastic and it won't bend, (ABS is the kind of plastic that will break before bending). Because of its hight resistance, ABS is used when manufacturing weight bearing parts.
No good company will make a figure entirely of PVC because as mentioned before, PVC can't handle the it's won't weight without deforming. Some figures manufactured prior to 2007 were made entirely of PVC, which caused them to bend and lean. Like this: View spoiler
Even though ABS is resistant and it won't bend, the very thing that makes it so great can also make it even more fragile than PVC. Depending on how high the fall is, ABS may break, like this: View spoiler Which wouldn't happen to PVC because PVC (the type used to make figures) won't actually break, just bend. But don't worry, good quality ABS won't get damaged very easily and will hardly break because of a fall.
ABS can also very shiny and it has a more plastic appearance than PVC and Vinyl. It is used to make Figma faces and hair, Figmas and Nendoroid joints, scale figure's bases, figure's lower body, LEGO and many other things.

Soft Vinyl is used to manufacture Dollfies and many other figures. Vinyl can be just like PVC (soft and bendable) or like ABS (sturdy but breakable), it varies greatly depending on what it's being used for. Vinyl can also be smooth and have the same skin-like appearance PVC does, but Vinyl is more expensive than PVC and it's a little harder to handle if used to manufacture scale figures, making the manufacture process more complicated and therefore more expensive.

Cold Cast, Polystone and Resin are all very sturdy and fragile. Neither one of them can survive a fall and they break quite easily. They're used to make scale figures, garage kits, larger statues, vases and many other things. They are very resistant against temperature, humidity and they're considerably easier to clean.
Cold Cast and Polystone are similar to porcelain in appearance and resin may have the same appearance as PVC but all the three of them are much, much heavier and expensive.

Good article.

This really bites.
This is supposed to be my one and only 1/4 SS PF and sideshows decides to pull this stunt on this figure.
I was gonna sell my only PF to trade places with this.

Last edited:
Back