Sideshow Premium Art Prints Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow Announcing new Premium Art Prints collection

Comic book artists that sell prints are selling them to make easy money, and Alex Ross can write his own ticket for what he sells. You want to feel a little special collecting his prints? Buy a regular edition one. Want to feel a little more special? Buy an AP, EP, PP, etc. Want to feel like the most special boy in the whole world? Buy an original piece. Want to really feel like you're important? Don't buy anything. Note: the last option is an even bigger delusion than the others. Your decision to not buy doesn't affect Alex Ross one bit because the result is the same with or without your money--his prints sell out.

Any artist that makes limited edition prints is making them to make money. Artists don't invest in expensive equipment and invest the amount of time required to make limited edition prints just for the fun of it. It has always been a mechanism for artists to make money on their artwork. I have been making my own limited edition prints for well over 15 years now. Its a great way to make additional money, but there are guidelines and even laws in place now when it comes to making limited edition prints. Most of the print laws in the US state that a limited edition can only include the stated number of prints and a "small" number of artist proofs. 50% of the edition size does NOT constitute a small number. I guarantee, 99.99999% of the artists that have made or are currently making limited edition prints, and not just in the comic market, do not have proofs that number anywhere even close to 50% of the edition size. You will be VERY hard pressed to find an artist that makes proofs that equal even half that number or just 25% of the ES. The standard for all of the limited edition print market's is basically 10-15% at most. 50%, it really is comical just how blatantly greedy that really is.

Actually, the more I stop and really think about it, the less it shocks me. We now live in an age where greed and corruption are common place. Again, Aspen comics and what they pulled is a perfect example. Its become so common that most people just shake thier head and dismiss it. If anything, given the way things have been going in regards to greed and corruption, I should actually expect to see more and more artists and companies like Ross and Aspen trying to rip people off. That's just the way of the world these days.

Collect what you like regardless of ES. Get it simply because you enjoy having the print, toy, statue, etc. in your collection.

Thats exactly what I have been doing for well over 30 years now, but that doesn't mean I am not going to call out a company or artist when then pull a scummy, greedy or illegal move and making proofs that equal 50% of the stated edition size is so beyond greedy, that the word greedy really doesn't do it justice. And this has NOTHING to do with the overall edition size so I really don't understand why you would even mention edition size. This is about the number of proofs being made, nothing more and nothing less. I was one of the people LARGELY responsible for uncovering the illegal activities that Aspen comics had been engaging in the last 10 years. Had I just blown it off and said nothing, its very likely Aspen would still be engaging in those activities to this day. So again, I will continue to call out this kind of activity in the limited edition print market when I see it and I do so because I actually care about the market as a whole as I am both a collector and a seller and this kind of crap sets a terrible precedence for the limited edition print market.

Oy4HkVC.gif

Same complaints over and over no matter what forum you're posting in. The majority of collectors buying his prints are split between those who just want the damn print no matter what the ES (special or otherwise) and those who want the ES low so they can flip them for a profit. I would guess that 99.99999% of collectors don't care about the percentage of AP/PP/EP prints against the regular print ES, and they certainly aren't going to start digging into the legality of it. I would love to see Alex Ross's response regarding the charge that he's breaking the law. :lol

I have many Alex Ross prints and lithographs ranging from simple unnumbered lithographs to AP canvas giclees, and I've never been outraged that he made 25 EP/25 PP/25 AP prints of a 200 ES print. If something like that really bothers you, then you are definitely better off not looking at his products. Alex Ross won't care, but your mind and body will appreciate your lowered stress level.

Oy4HkVC.gif

Same complaints over and over no matter what forum you're posting in. The majority of collectors buying his prints are split between those who just want the damn print no matter what the ES (special or otherwise) and those who want the ES low so they can flip them for a profit. I would guess that 99.99999% of collectors don't care about the percentage of AP/PP/EP prints against the regular print ES, and they certainly aren't going to start digging into the legality of it. I would love to see Alex Ross's response regarding the charge that he's breaking the law. :lol

Try slowing down and try to comprehend what your reading. I never said Alex Ross was breaking the law. I said I will continue to call out artists and companies that pull scummy, greedy or illegal crap. The illegal part was aimed at Aspen, not Ross. What Ross is doing is just plain greedy and scummy, although if one took Ross to court in some states I have no doubt that they would force him to create a lower number of proofs. And its not the same complaints over and over. My complaints against Aspen and Sideshow were of a completely different nature. To be more specific, my complaints against Aspen were for selling open edition prints as limited editions and tanking the entire market with over 130+ reprints, amongst other things. My complaints against Sideshow were for having a fake signature and my complaints against Ross are for having WAY too many proofs. All VERY different complaints.

I have many Alex Ross prints and lithographs ranging from simple unnumbered lithographs to AP canvas giclees, and I've never been outraged that he made 25 EP/25 PP/25 AP prints of a 200 ES print. If something like that really bothers you, then you are definitely better off not looking at his products. Alex Ross won't care, but your mind and body will appreciate your lowered stress level.

Wow! congratulations!! And thanks for the advice, but no thanks. I will continue on just as I have always been. If I listened to people who gave advice like you, all of the crap Aspen was pulling that was illegal never would have come out as there were more than a few people on StatueForum's Aspen thread who ripped on me for calling out Aspen and all the crap they were pulling even tho I wound up being 100% correct in regards to Aspen fraudulently selling prints. So again, thanks for the advice, but no thanks. Its your money so if you want to support greedy artists then that is your right. And just as you will continue t support Ross, I will continue to call out scummy, greedy or illegal activities by artists and companies making limited edition prints. If my posts bother you so, simply put me on ignore. Problem solved. As for my stress level, please lol. This is my favorite time of the year. I am sitting on my back deck right now overlooking Volcano Arenal drinking a Murphies Irish Stout. If this is stress, I would hate to see what relaxed was.

I eventually had to put you on ignore on the other forum, and I guess I’ll have to do the same here. Your condescending tone and broken record complaints get old fast. Silly me for thinking you’d adjust your attitude here when it obviously didn’t work for you there. Enjoy your beer and your crusade to expose the injustice of a company like Aspen making money off their product. :lol

I eventually had to put you on ignore on the other forum, and I guess I’ll have to do the same here. Your condescending tone and broken record complaints get old fast. Silly me for thinking you’d adjust your attitude here when it obviously didn’t work for you there. Enjoy your beer and your crusade to expose the injustice of a company like Aspen making money off their product. :lol

Broken record complaints, lol. You clearly do have a reading comprehension problem since I just clearly showed that all of my complaints were VERY different from one another. So your broken record comment is just pure BS, as are most of the other statements you have made. And for the record, I am only condescending to people who are condescending to me. So ultimately, your just another internet user that has no problem dishing it out, but then suddenly tries taking the high ground when people respond in the same manner. In other words, your just a HUGE hypocrite and there is nothing worse than hypocrites in my book. So good riddance!

And the fact that you are actually trying to stick up for Aspen when they blatantly lied to thier customers for over 10 years by fraudulently selling open edition prints as limited editions, which broke California's limited edition print law and screwed a lot of fans out of a LOT of money...well, this only shows that you have the constitution and moral code of a fruit loop. No wonder you don't see anything wrong with any of these issues. And the selling of open editions as limited editions is just the tip of the iceberg for Aspen in regards to all of the greedy, scummy, and illegal crap they pulled over the last few years. I have gotten at least 75 emails from Aspen collectors over the last 3 years thanking me for my efforts. That should give you a general idea of just how much I value your opinion, lol. And considering Aspen's print market is basically a dead market and Aspen is lucky if they are making 5% what they were 4 years ago...well, that shows me that all my efforts were well worth it. And considering Sideshow is now using real signatures more and more, it shows me my efforts on that front have been fruitful as well. So I am perfectly content with my efforts and the results of those efforts.

Anyways, take care then, bye bye now!

I may have to pick up the Chat Noir print. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

dc-comics-chat-noir-art-print-sideshow-500201-05.jpg

That's because Olivia does outstanding work. She paints any Catwoman better than anyone.

Another Olivia beauty but I will have to pass on it and probably regret later on. I got her latest WW and it's all wonderful work.

That's because Olivia does outstanding work. She paints any Catwoman better than anyone.

I agree. I have her other Catwoman prints so I may as well keep going. I didn't really pay attention to this one getting released for some reason, but it's difficult to pass on anything she does. I thought about holding off until SDCC to try to get an AP of it since I've gotten lucky the last few years with her prints, but there's no guarantee that she'll have any available.

I ordered my unframed! It will look amazing paired with the Wildcat print.

Ordered an unframed one as well. I paid for a framed Superman print from Sideshow--never again. Those frames are absolute **** and not worth the money Sideshow charges.

Guys. Planning on getting the Black Panther print. But im debating getting it framed or not. Is SS fram that bad. Is it the quality? Price for what you get? I dont think it will be that difficult for me to get a frame for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys. Planning on getting the Black Panther print. But im debating getting it framed or not. Is SS fram that bad. Is it the quality? Price for what you get? I dont think it will be that difficult for me to get a frame for it.

IMO, Sideshow's frames are overpriced. It's just a plastic frame with acrylic instead of glass. If you have a decent local frame shop, you can get a quality frame with actual glass that's UV protected and non-glare for the same price. It's easier to just buy Sideshow's already framed, especially if you don't care about what you get, but I'm picky and want a quality frame that matches what I already have hanging on my walls.

IMO, Sideshow's frames are overpriced. It's just a plastic frame with acrylic instead of glass. If you have a decent local frame shop, you can get a quality frame with actual glass that's UV protected and non-glare for the same price. It's easier to just buy Sideshow's already framed, especially if you don't care about what you get, but I'm picky and want a quality frame that matches what I already have hanging on my walls.

:goodpost:

Thanks! Yeah I was leaning more taking that route. I will risk waiting for unframed (these particular prints don’t sell out anyways)

I just got my Ragnarok art and it is in a wooden frame. I thought that was strange.

I just got my Ragnarok art and it is in a wooden frame. I thought that was strange.

Oh really? How is the print. I almost pulled the trigger

Oh really? How is the print. I almost pulled the trigger

I actually like it. Quality print. The frame is really nice. I'll take a pic when I get home

Back