Sideshow Premium Art Prints Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow Announcing new Premium Art Prints collection

A
It's called an autopen. It's a machine that can literally hold a pen or pencil and copy exactly the signature that it's given. It's actually ben around since the 40's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHGO2i0bL4

Really, an autopen? How on earth does using an autopen represent or have any meaning when it comes to an artist's signature on one of their prints? A replica of a signature is not a signature in terms of art work. I could have an unlimited source of artist signed prints if i bought an autopen, but they would be worthless and false. Are you actually saying a replica of an artist's signature truly means something? IMO it doesn't. However, an actual artist signature signed in pencil does mean something and improves the value of the print.

A

Really, an autopen? How on earth does using an autopen represent or have any meaning when it comes to an artist's signature on one of their prints? A replica of a signature is not a signature in terms of art work. I could have an unlimited source of artist signed prints if i bought an autopen, but they would be worthless and false. Are you actually saying a replica of an artist's signature truly means something? IMO it doesn't. However, an actual artist signature signed in pencil does mean something and improves the value of the print.

The artist needs to authorise the use of their signature still, as the original description said.

A

I'm impying nothing of the sort, you asked how a pencil signature could be used without the artist actually using the pencil. An Autopen.

The artist needs to authorise the use of their signature still, as the original description said.

I agree with what you are trying to say but that is not what the original description stated as proven in past posts. Do you really think anyone would be upset if Sideshow marketed the prints as authorized artist signatures? What's done is done, but I'm a bit baffled by the defense of Sideshow. Is this really how you want them to act and market their products? Would it be acceptable for them to market their lifesize Boba Fett as screen accurate if they were referencing a self made video starring their Boba Fett? Technically it might be accurate, but it would be blantantly misleading and not right.

I'm impying nothing of the sort, you asked how a pencil signature could be used without the artist actually using the pencil. An Autopen.

Gotcha. I actually never heard of an autopen so thanks for teaching me something. Still the whole idea of an autopen seems kind of shady and a counterfeiter's dream. How does the collector community authenticate any signature then?

Gotcha. I actually never heard of an autopen so thanks for teaching me something. Still the whole idea of an autopen seems kind of shady and a counterfeiter's dream. How does the collector community authenticate any signature then?
It still is very machine like. Most signatures are at least different in small ways an autopen is prerty much perfect and authenticators can usually tell.

I can always have artgerm sign the print at conventions. Now it'll be more valuable right?? Right???

I can always have artgerm sign the print at conventions. Now it'll be more valuable right?? Right???

At a convention if he has his own table you might have to pay him for signing cause that's how they run this business. But go directly to SS and ask him to sign his work for you.

It still is very machine like. Most signatures are at least different in small ways an autopen is prerty much perfect and authenticators can usually tell.

I really think people are confusing Signature and Autograph. You have way more patience then I do Josh lol

Wow, I think I got censored by SS for witty banter. Oh well, let's move on to talking about how aweful the new prints are. I'm not into Court of the Dead so I wouldn't be interested in these anyways, but the new ones look like Saturday morning cartoons. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come. I think it would be awesome if they did an Aliens print.

I think they're waiting on what Artgerm allows them to sell on his portfolio. I believe Supergirl is next and perhaps artgerm is currently doing new ones to offer to SS. Most likely we'll see more prints related to the statues and every once in awhile we'll see these cartoon ones when artgerm takes a break

There is no difference between a signature and an autograph. It's just a difference in terminology. You wouldn't say I autographed the check, you'd say I signed the check. The definition of a signature is to sign in one's own hand. An "autograph" is the signature of a famous person. There is no difference in value between a baseball signed by Buster Posey or autographed by Buster Posey. It means the same thing. The only distinction is you have to be famous for your signature to be described as an autograph

Okay, you got me curious. What are your definitions for both?

There is no difference between a signature and an autograph. It's just a difference in terminology. You wouldn't say I autographed the check, you'd say I signed the check. The definition of a signature is to sign in one's own hand. An "autograph" is the signature of a famous person. There is no difference in value between a baseball signed by Buster Posey or autographed by Buster Posey. It means the same thing. The only distinction is you have to be famous for your signature to be described as an autograph

I don't have my own definitions for things. I meant it more or less as a jest, as Skywalker pointed out they are the same thing by definition. Sorry I got you curious and didn't follow up. Please disregard

In other new I received my Itoya portfolio tonight (nice timing I know) and put al my prints in it so they aren't in the tube anymore.

Back