Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Facebook

Not sure if this is final or not...

tumblr_lkqm0enAZt1qh59n0o1_500.gif

From Facebook

Not sure if this is final or not... Lacking detail in the sculpt IMO.

11709460_1101661803182506_4166812258624882512_n.jpg

Indeed and this has been one of the more major complaints from the very first look of the prototype. Yes, even the proto was criticized as being to "soft" in it's details. Edges aren't well defined, as if tools weren't used to sculpt and carve, but instead just two hands and some fingernails. :slap

It's in hand from Thailand

11659410_1101661779849175_4627378579448551884_n.jpg

Compared to X-Plus

11209573_1101729746509045_6120609142704356269_n.jpg
:lecture Yup. X-Plus has being creating G sculpts for years.

That's a great comparison pic you posted. That X-Plus is 12 inches.

Now here's the part that's embarrassing...
Some here tout how much better a statue is over a figure simply because figures are just glorified "dolls". Oh well. Some will never learn.
Lastly, it's been said in this industry that a larger piece is better at displaying details compared to it's smaller counterpart. Sideshow didn't get this memo.

When a 12 inch vinyl figure can absolutely nail the great detail and skin texture on display in this new Godzilla while costing only a quarter of the asking price of the high end statue which cannot replicate those details and skin texture, you know the company who is producing the high end statue has got major, major issues. And we're talking here about Sideshow. X-Plus did just fine. Hell, the large 12" tall NECA 2014 Godzilla figure trumps the Sideshow statue in terms of detail. That's just sad. Wow. What the **** has happened to Sideshow? Its like they don't even care anymore. I'm getting the same vibes from Sideshow that I got from Icons and Master Replicas back in the day. And that ain't good.

Think we'll be seeing some deep discounts on this statue. Give it a year or two. Not only will it be GC eligible, but it may even be on permanent sale for $200 less.

Think we'll be seeing some deep discounts on this statue. Give it a year or two. Not only will it be GC eligible, but it may even be on permanent sale for $200 less.

In your dreams! The sculpting is far more nuanced and crafted on Sideshows maquette compared to the X-Plus which doesn't hold a candle to it IMO. It's the paint that concerns me alot more because it doesn't make a superb sculpt pop the way it should. Incidentally the hard top light in that photo is a complete cheat! Put the Sideshow sculpt in those same conditions and it will look better.

In your dreams! The sculpting is far more nuanced and crafted on Sideshows maquette compared to the X-Plus which doesn't hold a candle to it IMO. It's the paint that concerns me alot more because it doesn't make a superb sculpt pop the way it should. Incidentally the hard top light in that photo is a complete cheat! Put the Sideshow sculpt in those same conditions and it will look better.

So film accuracy is not a concern of yours?? It's always been my issue with the SSC piece.. The lack of detail hurts it's accuracy also IMO. 800.00 was the other reason I PASSED...

X-plus is the far better representation of the character IMO and only 250.00

I won't come down on SSC because I think they do great work.. This was a misstep IMO.

Sideshow's piece has always been a representation of Godzilla 2014, it's never been film accurate, the lack of harsh detail does lose some of the film effect, but there's also so much artistic liberty taken, it's a bit like, does it matter so much. Seems like more was put into the pose than the specific details. I will say they did a good job on the dynamic pose, the anatomy looks like it should, nothing goofy or awkward.

I'm used to most Godzilla pieces not looking spot on unless they're done by Yuji Sakai. Sideshow's piece could be enhanced sure, but ignoring what it costs, just looking at what it is, it's still a pretty nice looking statue, I feel like the price is what begs for many of the flaws to be absent. At $200 or less people would probably be fine with it just the way it is, nearly $1K, people have higher expectation and I don't blame them.

Honestly and respectfully, I don't think better lighting is the solution. Sideshow needed to put more effort into this piece for the price they're asking.

did Hector Arce sculpt that new X-plus Zilla? The sculpt looks almost identical to the custom statue I got from him.

Honestly and respectfully, I don't think better lighting is the solution. Sideshow needed to put more effort into this piece for the price they're asking.

I've been wrong before with Sideshow :wink1: ....and $800 is a big number. I wonder if having to pay the licensee i.e Legendary Pictures inflates the price to the point where they just can't sell it at a reasonable price.

I can't imagine the license is much of a factor, while Sideshow is the only high end licensee, other companies have released product for this movie at the same price point as their other products.

Do you guys ever think there will be some sort of a discount price on this piece, in the future? because there's so many complaints on this Statue- the lack of detail and the poor paint job. Even though the Statue has not yet been released. Or do you think people will go nuts, buying this piece? Despite the fact it's Godzilla himself from the newest movie. In addition the edition size is pretty low. Personally i think the piece will sell out really fast, please tell me your opinion.

My money is on discounts coming. Personally I would wait.

Back