Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joints are a bit loose as mentioned. Not as bad as the original body.

30491414292_f23cb22e1e_b.jpg

Yeah, I'm starting to waffle a bit after seeing Metalsaber's macro pic. That's really impressive, especially considering it's a Sideshow figure. You can tell they intended for it to have good skin texture but it didn't quite translate to the production pieces. The eyes and other details are fantastic up close.

Will figures 10 years from now also make those released today look like Happy Meal Toys? I remember that old "Inclusive" Maul blowing us away and you were probably counting the days until you had him in hand so you could pose him nude with Qui Gon on your kitchen counter. :lol

What.....?

Maul nud post 2.jpg

Well after spending some more time with him and posing him in with my HT SW collection I have two more observations: #1 I think he poses really well, I am able to achieve several acrobatic poses that look realistic. #2 He seems sorta......small. I know Ray Park isn't the worlds tallest guy but even posed near my HT Obi Wan his overall size seems petite and his head seems quite a bit smaller. On his own he appears to be fully in scale with the rest of his body (no over or under sized parts) but mixed into a group and well......I dunno.

My wife says he looks fine... And granted its not so bad in this horrible cell phone photo but in person he seems smaller overall than the figures around him. Here he is lined up perfectly with Obi Wan and he looks okay, but then I pull the camera away and he doesn't.... He's like a weird anomaly going from in scale to out of scale depending on the view!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 275
:lol Yeah, he looks fine in that pic. I was more concerned about him having Sideshow Syndrome and displaying an enormous noggin. Not the case here I guess.

So it seems like this head sculpt is in between the size of the old SS head and the Medicom. Looks about right. Ray Park is only 5'9" so he should be taller than Luke and shorter than Obi Wan.

...and SOLD to this old' guy who should know better than to jump on the Chicken Little train. This photo is great...and more good shots and decent comments rolling in.

Gonna have to see for myself now...

Despite my back and forth over the actual scale I will say that quality-wise this is easily Sideshows best efforts thus far, the sculpt holds its own against any HT figure. If they apply this kind of effort (minus this kinda price) to all future figures they might actually make themselves a name in the 1/6 biz!

Those latest shots and that macro shot makes this look like a homerun from Sideshow.

My wife says he looks fine... And granted its not so bad in this horrible cell phone photo but in person he seems smaller overall than the figures around him. Here he is lined up perfectly with Obi Wan and he looks okay, but then I pull the camera away and he doesn't.... He's like a weird anomaly going from in scale to out of scale depending on the view!

Did you take this picture lights out with your ghost hunting equipment? :lol

I'm still happy with my modded Medi. Along with giving him a modded body, I also modded the head by chopping away the half neck, fitting it on a thicker HT neck and widening his jawline so he's not so gaunt. Still, I'll be picking up this SS head along with a couple of other parts to add to my Medi. Really hope HT give us a snarling sculpt if they ever do one. There are enough "relaxed" Maul sculpts out there at this point.

After seeing some early negative comments I'm really pleasantly surprised, head sculpt looks dead on to me personally, from every angle too, which is something even Hot Toys don't always achieve. Also looks good with a variety of poses!

Really like the outfit too, this is my first "human" sideshow figure and i've always thought sideshow outfits always looked baggy and badly fitting, but this is really nicely fitted where it needs to be. the wiring is really nice and rigid too.

Accessories wise, this is all I'd ever pose it with anyway, so that side of things doesn't bother me. Would prefer the blades to be more clear like the HT ones rather than the sort of matte look this one has, but thats a very minor personal preference.

Only downside is the cost, but the hobby's over priced anyway and we still buy the damn things so who can blame them

Overall, I love mine, the Darth Maul 3 3/4 inch was always my favourite figure when I was a 10 year old, so glad to finally add a "grown up" version to my collection. :D

For anyone on the fence, many of the photos online don't do it justice, in hand, it looks incredible and poses really nicely

Back