Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left a nasty comment on SS Facebook page. I hope they get the message.

I took to their twitter feed on the preorder post. Apparently, I'm the only one THERE that sees this Maul as a ripoff. All the other tweets are full of just praise for the preorder.:cuckoo:

It's just crazy, these figures cost as much or less than Maul.

902392-michelangelo-001.jpg

marvel-the-punisher-sixth-scale-sideshow-100212-10.jpg

And they're either loaded with accessories or a very unique design and detailed paint applications that can make their cost seem more reasonable. How can you look at Maul and Punisher side by side and not feel Maul's overpriced. What's crazy is Disney owns Marvel too, so maybe it's not just Disney, maybe it's the Disney-LFL combo, Star Wars merchandise has always been pricier and now they're owned by the Empire...I mean Disney.

I took to their twitter feed on the preorder post. Apparently, I'm the only one THERE that sees this Maul as a ripoff. All the other tweets are full of just praise for the preorder.:cuckoo:

That's why all these posts on forums where people complain and are sure that "Sideshow is pricing themselves out of the market", etc. have no merit. For every "complaint" I read on a forum, there's way many "Take my money now" posts on FB.

The pricing...and Sideshow are here to stay:lol

So $240 is the new basic price point. That rules out making ANY secondary characters. That leaves SS with:

Dooku

Can't think of any other characters from the PT that would justify $240.

You dissapoint me. Surely you can do better!

So $240 is the new basic price point. That rules out making ANY secondary characters. That leaves SS with:

Dooku

Can't think of any other characters from the PT that would justify $240.

Imagine if they decided to make Grievous or their DX ESB/RotJ Vader figure now!!! They'd probably would've gone for like $350!!! :rotfl

That's why all these posts on forums where people complain and are sure that "Sideshow is pricing themselves out of the market", etc. have no merit. For every "complaint" I read on a forum, there's way many "Take my money now" posts on FB.

Idiots and fanboys. I just dont get it. Like they are incapable to think on their own

I don't deny that but so many of these people on FB/Twitter are not buyers. They just like to look, share, talk on social media or win free stuff. They like the movies. They might own 1 or 2 figures but more often than not they have the Hasbro stuff. Often they will write stuff like "wow so cool! if only i had the money" or "that is so awesome! totally want that". Key word being "want".

The regular buyers are the guys that come to sites like this and Rebel Scum, etc where adults discuss it. Not saying everyone does but these aren't toys that parents buy for their kids..

I don't deny that but so many of these people on FB/Twitter are not buyers. They just like to look, share, talk on social media or win free stuff. They like the movies. They might own 1 or 2 figures but more often than not they have the Hasbro stuff. Often they will write stuff like "wow so cool! if only i had the money" or "that is so awesome! totally want that". Key word being "want".

The regular buyers are the guys that come to sites like this and Rebel Scum, etc where adults discuss it. Not saying everyone does but these aren't toys that parents buy for their kids..

I don't know those people who post, so I can't confirm nor deny that,lol. I do remember seeing a statistic where forum people are really a small percentage of buyers though and I believe it since you pretty much see the same people on these forums. But all I know is, when it's all said and done, they have no problem selling their stock and with this being Darth Maul, he will pretty much sell himself without any problems.

I don't know those people who post, so I can't confirm nor deny that,lol. I do remember seeing a statistic where forum people are really a small percentage of buyers though and I believe it since you pretty much see the same people on these forums. But all I know is, when it's all said and done, they have no problem selling their stock and with this being Darth Maul, he will pretty much sell himself without any problems.

Most statistics are made up! Truth is only Sideshow know. Though I think if you look at statues with limited edition numbers and count the number of people who buy them that post here and statueforum and it's at least half the production run.

They probably aren't regular buyers, so spending $240 on a few figures a year is fine for them. With many Freaks, we're buying 10+ figures a year, so that cost really adds up.

Wait there are adults discussing figures here? That comes as a shock :rotfl

I got all this for the same price as this Maul, and there's some things not shown here. LMAO

jokerdetolf.jpg

Production runs are pretty small. Probably between 3k - 10k units worldwide. That's not a substantial number. SSC's recent Deadpool was one of their highest most recent production runs at just under 10k figures. That's only around $240,000.00 for the full production of one figure. Factor in man hours, production cost, licensing fees, profit and overhead and I would bet they don't clear more than half that $240K.

Not defending the price but along with the new Disney surcharge, they are probably trying to increase their bottom line no doubt.

Production runs are pretty small. Probably between 3k - 10k units worldwide. That's not a substantial number. SSC's recent Deadpool was one of their highest most recent production runs at just under 10k figures. That's only around $240,000.00 for the full production of one figure. Factor in man hours, production cost, licensing fees, profit and overhead and I would bet they don't clear more than half that $240K.

Not defending the price but along with the new Disney surcharge, they are probably trying to increase their bottom line no doubt.

Where did you get that number for Deadpool?

But all I know is, when it's all said and done, they have no problem selling their stock and with this being Darth Maul, he will pretty much sell himself without any problems.

They haven't in the past but this concept of figures being this expensive with less accessories is new for Sideshow. I am sure they have people who created algorithms for them to help them assess what the market will take, but it is still uncharted territory. It may sell or it may sit on the site for a long time. I personally think it is an especially risky move considering the amount of high-end Star Wars product that is coming out in the next year and thus eating into fans' budgets.

Back