Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's true I haven't posted much at all! lol

The saber I made myself using a ccfl tutorial I found here on the forums with a spare hilt picked up from toyanxiety. Pretty straightforward to mock up if you've done any basic soldering.

The other maul's either side are both medicom although one has had a body swap to a hot toys body, damn Medicom joints!

Wow thats really great work man, awesome job!

lol I imagine I'll need to swap my Medi Maul eventually as mine is the first release with the more brittle body.

I originally had him set up with an LED saber I found on EBay but it was garbage, the hilt was massively oversized and the light wasn't great. I've also used EL wire for a few sabers in the past but to be honest their not much better than the LED sabers hot toys and sideshow use now which again aren't that great IMO.
For the price I paid for the 3rd party LED saber (around £30) I got all the parts needed for the cathode one minus the cost of a second hilt incase I screwed it up lol.

For anyone interested in making their own cathode saber, the tutorial I used can be found here, the pics are no longer up but you can figure it out pretty easy. https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/custom-creations/51963-cathode-saber-tutorial-warning-lots-pics.html

Here's the EL wire saber for comparison
20170110_183255.jpg

And a couple more of the Cathode just for fun!

20170822_182801.jpg20170822_182946.jpg20170822_183113.jpg

Here's how the saber looks unlit, as the tubes are painted red it just looks like the normal plastic sideshow blades.
20170822_183202.jpg

Thanks for the info Vertigo :wink1: that sabre looks great!

I broke my OT only collection rule for Maul. But I'm glad I did as he really is a superb figure.

I originally had him set up with an LED saber I found on EBay but it was garbage, the hilt was massively oversized and the light wasn't great. I've also used EL wire for a few sabers in the past but to be honest their not much better than the LED sabers hot toys and sideshow use now which again aren't that great IMO.
For the price I paid for the 3rd party LED saber (around £30) I got all the parts needed for the cathode one minus the cost of a second hilt incase I screwed it up lol.

For anyone interested in making their own cathode saber, the tutorial I used can be found here, the pics are no longer up but you can figure it out pretty easy. https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/custom-creations/51963-cathode-saber-tutorial-warning-lots-pics.html

Here's the EL wire saber for comparison
View attachment 361233

And a couple more of the Cathode just for fun!

View attachment 361236View attachment 361237View attachment 361238

Here's how the saber looks unlit, as the tubes are painted red it just looks like the normal plastic sideshow blades.
View attachment 361239

Is there a wire running down the outside of the saber? Anyone to make these without that?

I wish it was possible to mod Kylo's saber this way without getting rid of the sculpted blade.

Damn, what a difference the cathode is from the LED!

I really dont like displaying non-light up saber blades on my 1/6 figures, so it would be nice to have something like this for me. Maybe someday if I can make the time, I'll try it. Thanks for the link!

Is there a wire running down the outside of the saber? Anyone to make these without that?

I wish it was possible to mod Kylo's saber this way without getting rid of the sculpted blade.

Well I hollowed out the hilt using a dremel, drill a small hole in the centre of the hilt and pass the wires through the glove and then inside the sleeve of the tunic. If you have your figure on a stand then just run the wire down to the waist and through the stand to wherever your powering it. You could do it without a stand and run the wires down the pants and have a hole in the sole of the boot to run them out.
The wires themselves are very thin (0.5mm) so they're easy to hide.

Well I hollowed out the hilt using a dremel, drill a small hole in the centre of the hilt and pass the wires through the glove and then inside the sleeve of the tunic. If you have your figure on a stand then just run the wire down to the waist and through the stand to wherever your powering it. You could do it without a stand and run the wires down the pants and have a hole in the sole of the boot to run them out.
The wires themselves are very thin (0.5mm) so they're easy to hide.

Sorry what I was asking was about the saber blades. In the last pic it looks like there's a string or thing wire on them going from the tips to the handle?

Sorry what I was asking was about the saber blades. In the last pic it looks like there's a string or thing wire on them going from the tips to the handle?

Yeah there is a thin wire which runs from the end of the bulb to complete the circuit, not much you can do about that I'm afraid. It's not really visible when switched on and I tend to twist the bulbs so the wire faces to the back of the cabinet once posed up.

What's the difference between the Exclusive version and the Collectors Edition...?

As far as I can tell, the Collectors Edition is simply the 2nd batch.

Exclusive had a chopped in half saber handle. Definitely no big deal if you miss out on it IMO.

Do you think they will? Not sure how the licensing works. Can both HT and Sideshow have licensing for the same version of a character?

I am hoping for a HTs Maul and they might be able to if they get the BattleFront2 license. When they announce the Scouttrooper might be good indication since SSC sold out theirs recently I think.

I'm going to be selling mine if anyones interested, includes a wired sith robe and 2 separate "ignited" lightsabers in addition to his double (bought a second version of his double saber and split it into two pieces).

Back