1/6 Sideshow Collectibles - Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - Boba Fett

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol

Only HT will get the ESB Fett right. Slanted helmet and all. ESB helmet much better than ROTJ helmet. I say you wait. Save $200.

Everyone always says "how will HT improve upon (the snowtrooper, the Emperor, Yoda, etc, etc)?"... and yet they always do. And it brings out in just how many ways the old Sideshow stuff is just so wrong. You may not see it now, but you will.

Just trying to save you some money and some time.

you know I kinda have to agree. I've done a SS purge and only have an R2 left and I have not looked back since.

what's wrong with it? The helmet in ROTJ isn't as good as in ESB to start.

HT didn't do a great job with helmet shape/sculpt (noticeably off) and they also didn't try to match the dents/scratches in the paint apps (they just did random scratches) - which really is part of the "look" for Fett's helmets. Even though SSC went with a Kermit green and their helmet sculpt was also off for their ESB version, they at least did a great job matching the dents/scratches.

Fett is obviously one of the most difficult characters to nail in 1/6, and a lot of the HT ROTJ Fett is really nicely done, but personally I wouldn't say how the HT ROTJ Fett came out is an indication that HT would nail an ESB Fett.

:lol

Everyone always says "how will HT improve upon (the snowtrooper, the Emperor, Yoda, etc, etc)?"... and yet they always do. And it brings out in just how many ways the old Sideshow stuff is just so wrong. You may not see it now, but you will.

Just trying to save you some money and some time.

I don't think ANYONE who knows what they are talking about would have said "how will HT improve upon snowtrooper, the Emperor, Yoda." Those three figures all had pretty major issues, even when they were released.

There just was no other version of those characters in 1/6, so people bought them, overlooked the god-awful Snowie helmet, the Jay Leno Yoda head (or Samuel L head if we're talking PT SSC Yoda) and the "Who does number two work for?" Emperor head, too-short cane and inaccurate robes (or tweaked whatever they could.)

But all that being said - are the HT equivalents 100%? Very nice, but no - Yoda is the best 1/6 Yoda so far, but it's definitely not one of those creepy-accurate HT sculpts (it's a gorgeously finished but bland/symmetrical Yoda head,) and the Snowie helmet is brilliant, but it's a noticeably too-short yet monkey armed fig overall with Hasbro-quality plastic boots with several parts a little undersized. And HT emperor so far? Pfffft. Right now SSC's "Who does number two work for?" head is looking pretty, pretty good.:lol

1/6 Collectors always want certainty - the "won't-need-to-upgrade" fantasy - and HT always seems to be the one that can deliver that. "Seems" being the operative word.

I don't think ANYONE who knows what they are talking about would have said "how will HT improve upon snowtrooper, the Emperor, Yoda." Those three figures all had pretty major issues, even when they were released.

Yet we hear it over and over from people here (those that don't know what they're talking about clearly). :)

And I certainly didn't mean to say that HT is the ultimate expression of a figure. Hell no, for example I still say Obi-Wan looks like some random old guy and Leia's dress is an abomination (too strong?). But they do generally do a better job than anything before them.

you know I kinda have to agree. I've done a SS purge and only have an R2 left and I have not looked back since.

I did exactly that. Literally sold all my SSC SW figures *except* for R2. :lol

I find that even if HT doesn't nail a likeness they are just more satisfying figures to own all around compared to any other company.

I don't know I quite liked the SS Fett... once I'd put it on a thin TT. The colour pops more than the ROTJ from HT and things like the belt and gauntlets are done much better. I guarantee that however good the HT ESB Fett is people will still need some of the SS parts to get the figure just right.

Sideshow got the flared shape, if not the size, right. But I still have faith HT will do better with ESB Fett and won't resort to using the same helmet.

That is my hope anyway. We'll see...

Ok . Wow ! I just ordered the ROTJ Hot toys boba fett deluxe from BBTS . It looks awesome to me . Thanks guys

Nice comparison pics Matrix! Thanks for posting.:clap

I never owned the SSC Fett but had a really close look at it at a LCS and I was amazed how good the weathering apps were, even though the kermit green overall color spoiled the whole thing.

The HT shape is undoubtedly off, but it still looks very impressive in-hand, and also pictured from the right angles. I only have the helmet, but I like these slightly lower angles on the HT helmet...

qwhXc80.jpg

I always liked the medicom boba fett I did not like the sideshow one and thought the look and color of the medicom looked good.

The Medi is still the best overall to me, but as you can see in the comp pics, I felt it was a bit small in-hand for "full" 1/6 (it can be fudged to look in proportion by making your Fett maybe 11 1/2" tall though - I did the same thing with my SSC TOD Indy due to the head being slightly underscale) and also just a touch foreshortened vertically.

Kermit green? Have you actually seen Kermit? Colors are different and I own both. Personally think Sideshow's fett is pretty great

Kermit green? Have you actually seen Kermit? Colors are different and I own both. Personally think Sideshow's fett is pretty great

Again, I never owned it and only handled it once, but the green SSC used looked way off in-hand to me (and I mean SSC Fett v1, not sure on v2, never saw that one in-hand), and yeah it was in the direction of a brighter kermit type green versus the blue/greyish-olive drab green it should be.

It's hard to post pics too because I find that blues and greens especially never seem to come out correct in pics.

Again, I never owned it and only handled it once, but the green SSC used looked way off in-hand to me (and I mean SSC Fett v1, not sure on v2, never saw that one in-hand), and yeah it was in the direction of a brighter kermit type green versus the blue/greyish-olive drab green it should be.

It's hard to post pics too because I find that blues and greens especially never seem to come out correct in pics.

I thought it was too bright to until I was looking through some Empire screen caps for reference and it looks pretty accurate.

Ya, I have to agree there. In hand, compared directly with the film, the color is pretty good. The biggest issue with it is the chest armor, which for some (including me) isn't even that big of an issue. I actually want to replace the wookie braids more than anything else...

Back