Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sean, I notice if I rotate the handle of the blaster in the hand with the extended finger, the finger will slide over the trigger without any tension. But what is really bugging me is that the black paint on the glove has already worn off (exposing white marks) even though I am very gentle with it. Sideshow really needs to use the soft black plastic they used with Jedi Luke.

Ya, I'm a little bummed about that too. Not sure production wise what it would mean, but for figure endurance, seems painting white on the armor segment and casting the hands in black would prevent such things. Either that or cast the hands in a firmer material like Clonobi that takes better to the paint, only challenge then is, you couldn't bend the finger on the right hand to get it to pull the trigger.

Yeah, I may be wrong about this, but I think the hand and armor are two separate pieces, made of two different materials of plastic. If I look carefully, I can see the seam lines where the white armor meets the gloved hand. Also, the glove armor feels just as hard as the rest of the armored pieces, while the gloved hand is bit softer and rougher in texture.

You have such a way with words...
Is it possible for you to express yourself without being offensive or obtuse?

Having said that, I fully agree with your assessment that it is absolutely unfair to compare a highly customized figure with a straight out of the box figure. Unless you compare only details, e.g. materilas used, proportions of armour pieces and such. But complete figures, no.

Now where's the fun in that? :p All kidding aside, I'm just tired of people posting to bash something for no other purpose than that and stating that it's not as good as another product, which in fact, is considerably inferior to Sideshows right out of the box. I'm not the only one who posted about this either. Pix posted about it pages ago and I've been trying to ignore it since the second or third page of this thread, but it finally got to me so I called BS! :lol

That said (and before the "apologist" flaming begins :lol), comparing both modified, I'd say it's just a matter of personal taste as one's not necessarily better than the other because the pros and cons of each equal the other out. But again, comparing the modified figure to one right out of the box is just blatantly absurd and unfair.

Just a few shots of my Stormtrooper.
With the stand...
DSCN2512.jpg

With out the stand...
DSCN2513.jpg

It's a pretty awesome figure, I'm glad I didn't cancel it.

Would Taiyama or whatever spray gloss work for the armor?..i mean hell it worked on my neca 18inch Robocop figure..the guy still is very glossy after like 2 years.

This way, you will not have to worry about brushing it on even as the spray went on perfectly even.

Speaking of the Future Wax - is it permanent? I don't use floor wax and I have never used this product either. Is there a benefit to using it as opposed to using a glossy spray coat meant for paint as Valfar mentioned?

Also any thoughts about the long term effects on the figure? I guess it should help protect it in the same way it would a floor.

I'll probably skip the waxing myself, but I'm curious just the same. It does looks sharp, so someday I may cave and gloss him up.

Yeah, I may be wrong about this, but I think the hand and armor are two separate pieces, made of two different materials of plastic. If I look carefully, I can see the seam lines where the white armor meets the gloved hand. Also, the glove armor feels just as hard as the rest of the armored pieces, while the gloved hand is bit softer and rougher in texture.

I actually had to glue the armor plate for the back of the hand down, so yes, it is two seperate pieces.

I did the treatment with the Future wax last night and it was really easy. I think it came out great, so if you want that glossy look for your Stormtrooper I highly recommend doing it.

P1040956.jpg

P1040952.jpg

Looks great, Harper!

Are you guys brushing it on with an artist type paintbrush, or with something else?

Also, once it dries, is it 'sticky' or tacky at all?

It's the last thing I have to do on the "check list". Truth be told, I've gotten a bit used to him in the semi-dull out-of-the-box white though.

Good idea using floor wax however I would've opted for a more matte finish on the brow trim for contrast. Excellent job overall. :cool:

Great job dharper!

Good idea using floor wax however I would've opted for a more matte finish on the brow trim for contrast. Excellent job overall. :cool:

If you go back a few pages, you can see that I painted the head band and mic area a flat black. I imagine the head band is supposed to be rubber.

Awesome job on the shine, one question after applying the future and it dries do you have and brush marks?

If you use a brush with soft, fine bristles you shouldn't have any problems. And the surface will be tacky if it is still drying. But once it dries, the surface will have a very nice feel to it.

Not a huge deal, but has anyone noticed little scuff marks on the backside of the armor from where the rear cylinder clips onto the belt? It seems that the metal prongs leave really light, faint gray lines along the white armor plate if it moves around too much.

Anyone else have this or am I the only one who moved my belt around too much?

Think the future floor wax will prevent these kind of little marks?

Back