1/6 Sideshow 1/6th Scale Star Wars Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Necropost for a friend who is about to get on board (finally, B...!!!):

Okay, so after assembling the thing, please note these points:

-Do NOT follow Sideshow's instructions as they present them. My STRONG recommendation is to start with Step 7 (attaching the foot pedals), then move to Step 11 (attaching the console controls), then Step 12 (attaching the steering levers). The steering levers do NOT go in easily. Neither do the foot pedals. These 3 steps took me quite awhile to complete, for fear of breakage. Fortunately, everything ended up fine. After completing those steps, follow the rest of the instructions as presented.

-Neither the foot pedals nor the steering levers move, so be very careful when positioning the scout. Fitting him onto the bike is quite challenging, as you have to position him ever-so-gently, tweaking a boot here, a hand there, knees, elbows, shoulders, hips etc. His boots will not seat properly in the pedals, but close enough. And as far as the steering levers, take special care to make sure that his arms aren't bending them out too much. I don't know how much tolerance they have before possibly snapping (they seem to be a slightly brittle plastic mix).

-The bike is QUITE fragile. I've read others say that the probe droid felt quite fragile, so I imagine the speeder bike is similar to that. However, the probe droid didn't have to interact with a figure.

Having said all that, it really is a wonderful piece! It's QUITE large and impressive! I think the cost should probably have been at least $50 cheaper, especially considering the sheer amount of assembly required, but once completed, it's a show stopper. Good luck, all!

Pics to come.

Is anyone in the U.K / Europe thinking of selling their Speeder? If so could you send me a PM.

Just thought I put these pics up here,

There has been a lot of debate on this thread about the Sideshow Speeder Bike being the wrong scale. I purchased the Star Wars Scrapbook which has some great pictures in, one of which is below. It shows one of the original Speeder Bike Models that were used for the chase scene on Endor. I have tried to take a picture of my Sideshow speeder at a similar angle to the picture in the book. There is a little bit of lens distortion on the picture that I have taken, but I can say with complete confidence that the Sideshow speeder is absolutely spot on for scale compared to the ILM Model shown.

View attachment 333823
View attachment 333826

I agree. I am so glad I purchased one of these. It is beautiful in hand but as TK0083 stated, it is fragile. Really looks fantastic on display.

Does anyone in the U.K or Europe want to sell their Speeder Bike? If so can you please PM me. Thanks

From what I've seen of the SSC and Hasbro bikes I'd lean more towards picking up a cheap Hasbro and modding it. I think even with some silver paint to show scratching it'd bring it on leaps and bounds and then work some subtle metal work into the controls and handle bars and it'd be a winner for a fraction of the price.

Agreed. I bought 2 a few years back and paid very minimal for both. One was with the scout very plain paint job and the other came with Leia and had a mess of a battle damage paint job. Sold that one for almost $100 when the SSC scout came out. Crazy.

IMG_2490.JPGIMG_2489.JPG
Besides being slightly a different scale, for some reason the SS handlebar just looks oddly shaped. This comparison pics are great though. Not sure which is more movie accurate.

View attachment 350285View attachment 350286
Besides being slightly a different scale, for some reason the SS handlebar just looks oddly shaped. This comparison pics are great though. Not sure which is more movie accurate.

Still contemplating to ask somebody from Shapeway to print a new handle bar. I'm using Bandai's 1/12 Speeder Bike as a reference. I still need to scale it up in proportion to SS Speeder Bike. It's not a straight conversion from 1/12 to 1/6. Coz SS Speeder Bike is underscale as a 1/6 model.

I'm in the same boat ! Ordered him the other day with a voucher. For the price can't go wrong.

I can't believe that the cool, multipurpose base was a purchasing factor. Almost unheard of these days from SS. Then again this comes from the good old days of Sideshow before they got cheap with their bases, well cheap with a lot of stuff actually considering the increased pricing for basic figures.

Coz SS Speeder Bike is underscale as a 1/6 model.
Yep, that's why it's just best to stick with the larger and much cheaper Hasbro one. Well, it was an easy pass for me since I bought that thing when it first came out - and I didn't have $300 + lying around for a very delicate and frustrating model.

I was going to get a second, but they're sold out now. :(

I liked the first one so much I bought a second, terrific detail on these. Might be my favorite Sideshow 1/6 piece. Three scouts too. One day when I have more space I want to do an endor dio. And put it right next to Hoth and Tatooine :).

Back