San Diego Comic Con Panel: GI Joe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are tons of great figure designs well past 1985.

Too bad they're mostly tainted by the stigma of being associated with the day glo/DIC cartoon/poorly written comic years (from 1990-1994 at least). I wonder how the line would have ended up if Marvel/Sunbow hadn't lost the rights to DIC (which reportedly practically paid Hasbro to take over the cartoon series, rather than the other way around) and they had just kept the same cardback format with no subgroups (Tiger Force, Sky Patrol, etc.) to dilute the line.

I believe it. I've already discovered Low-Light. I just have no emotional connection to any of them beyond that. Beachhead is the last figure I recall having any interest in.
I'm in a similar boat. I liked Beachhead, Tunnel Rat, Falcon, Law and Order, and a few other post-85ers. But they just don't mean as much to me, from the nostalgia angle, as do the 83-85 characters. And honestly, apart from Beachhead and maybe BAT, I'm not sure if I would buy any post-85 Sideshow figures.

Weird how big a difference one year made.

I have to say I have a differing of opinion. I was born in 81 and have fond memories of the 86-89 joes as well.

I remember playing with DialTone, Crazy Legs, Flint, LifeLine, Beachhead, SciFi, Wetsuit, cross country, lift ticket, iceberg, lowlight, fast draw, and falcon. i had a few 84 and 85 joes, but 86 was the year I cherished most.

I vividly remember playing with my Tomahawk (possibly the best Joe Helicopter ever came out in 86) attacking my terrordrome.. 2 of my favorite toys as a child.

I have to say I have a differing of opinion. I was born in 81 and have fond memories of the 86-89 joes as well.

I remember playing with DialTone, Crazy Legs, Flint, LifeLine, Beachhead, SciFi, Wetsuit, cross country, lift ticket, iceberg, lowlight, fast draw, and falcon. i had a few 84 and 85 joes, but 86 was the year I cherished most.

I vividly remember playing with my Tomahawk (possibly the best Joe Helicopter ever came out in 86) attacking my terrordrome.. 2 of my favorite toys as a child.

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 I was hoping that would resurface before the 25th Anny line tanked.

I'm in a similar boat. I liked Beachhead, Tunnel Rat, Falcon, Law and Order, and a few other post-85ers. But they just don't mean as much to me, from the nostalgia angle, as do the 83-85 characters. And honestly, apart from Beachhead and maybe BAT, I'm not sure if I would buy any post-85 Sideshow figures.

Weird how big a difference one year made.

those guys are from 1987. I was 13 at the time so that was my last year into toys. :lol:lol:lol Yeah right, Beachhead was a popular figure. Dont forget about Big Boa, Croc Master, Nemesis. I still have those figures too.

b2.jpg

Thank you. I just collected the later series because I was such a passionate collector of GI JOE. Had the line started out with such characters, I would not have bought them. I actually collected the figures on cards up until and including series 8 in 1989. I think a smattering of vehicles up until then, too. Looking back, those weren't the best, but they were still acceptable. 1990's series 9 was the end. Day glow costumes with other weird colors just totally turned me off. I never bought any of those, and that's when I got out. In 1989, the Deep Six version two was very good, I thought. Rock N Roll with the Gatling gun not bad, Backblast and recoil were decent, and I actually thought Alley Viper was a neat looking figure, even though he was over the top.

There are tons of great figure designs well past 1985.

I'm with you guys. '82-'86 are the only years I'm a completist for, but there are a lot of hidden gems from the later years that I missed out on as a kid. For the line as a whole though, there definitely came a turn for the worse at some point. Whether that was '86 or '87 (or maybe even later) is a matter of opinion, but I think you could definitely say the trend toward more sci-fi/fantasy STARTED in '86 - as much as I still love that year (including Serpentor, Sgt. Slaughter, and the rest).

Anyway, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Sideshow. I'll just have to be a bit more choosy in my purchases to be able to afford all these dios/PFs... I might have to skip a few. I'm with 'Nam on the size thing too. As much as I want them all, it might become a big issue (especially when you live with a girlfriend...).

I had a few of the figures from '82 to '85, as I didn't get a regular allowance until I was 10 and had to depend on the largess and generosity of family. Had the complete run of figures from 1986 to 1990, and I picked up two figures from 1991 (redesigned Low Light and Big Ben) before I called it quits, giving all my figures and a good number of vehicles to my youngest brother who was eight years younger than me.

Unfortunately, I learned the OCD collection trait is NOT genetic. He promptly lost / destroyed my entire collection within a year.

Same here. I let my younger brother play with my collection. He was nine at the time and had just discovered the joys of backyard fireworks. The Joes didn't survive the war.

I'm with you guys. '82-'86 are the only years I'm a completist for, but there are a lot of hidden gems from the later years that I missed out on as a kid. For the line as a whole though, there definitely came a turn for the worse at some point. Whether that was '86 or '87 (or maybe even later) is a matter of opinion, but I think you could definitely say the trend toward more sci-fi/fantasy STARTED in '86 - as much as I still love that year (including Serpentor, Sgt. Slaughter, and the rest).

Anyway, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Sideshow. I'll just have to be a bit more choosy in my purchases to be able to afford all these dios/PFs... I might have to skip a few. I'm with 'Nam on the size thing too. As much as I want them all, it might become a big issue (especially when you live with a girlfriend...).

Serpentor and Sgt. Slaughter Pfs would be Amazing as well!!:pray:

I'll just enjoy looking at most of the dio's and PF's as they come out. A couple here and there I might grab but I feel totally great that the 1:6th line is just fine by a mile.

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="movie" value="https://www.sideshowtoy.com/media/swf/generic-flv-player-no-auto.swf?videoFile=/media/flv/general/858654487-SDCC_PP_09_-_GI_Joe_WEB.flv"></param><embed src="https://www.sideshowtoy.com/media/swf/generic-flv-player-no-auto.swf?videoFile=/media/flv/general/858654487-SDCC_PP_09_-_GI_Joe_WEB.flv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

what head sculpt is that in the intro that passes by between Baroness and Commando SE PF?

I asked that myself earlier in this very thread. I thought it could be Hawk, but others said it is probably Dusty, which makes more sense, as the concept art for Dusty is one of the two Joes shown in the video panel (the other being Stalker).

Back