Robocop (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't bother A-dev, there's no use, they decided how they felt months ago.

What's your end game? A better movie than Robocop? It sure didn't need an update in any way, and if this new one failed at major aspects like the villains that's even worse still. They copied the formula and couldn't trace over the lines?

Do you dislike the first movie? Do you like it so much you want more? But it's not more, it's not a sequel. And it's not new really. It's like a glorified fan remake.

Do you think this new one is going to get a sequel that will be amazing?

I just don't get the end game. Will you one day five years from now be so bored and kinda feel like watching Robocop but not want to actually watch a good movie so just pop this version in instead? Do you just have that much free time? Have you considered masturbating or volunteering at a soup kitchen? :lol

Call this something else and maybe it'd become it's own interesting Iron Man thing but this is never going to surpass Robocop. It's pointless and for money, it's going to spend it's entire existance in the shadow of it's far superior predecessor. It never even had a shot. It kinda makes sense when you want to remake a movie most people agree is trash like Judge Dredd. It makes perfect sense if your performing theatre again and again. But when you already have the universally loved professional stage actors version of something commited to film why go down to the local middle school and film their take on it? The people whos kids are in those things don't even want to be there. :lol And thats this movie. It's the "Murica Middle School's performance of Robocop.

So I just checked IMDB and apparently the movie's premier screening was here at Malaysia/Singapore since Jan 30th. Lucky me!

Probably trying to appeal to the Iron Man crowd. :monkey3

Again, here is what i feel.

Robocop was a classic and it would be hard to match up but...

1) back then many kids found it hard to watch ( yes kids saw it not in a theatre but they did see it)
2) many women definitely saw it in a mixed taste. I remember my mother totally switching off to it and so did my two sisters.
3) in todays time its a great story to tell and probably in today's time the suite would be dated, i am not saying bad am just saying dated.

Now,

1) if script is done right the new one could bring in a family angle a personal touch... Many women would love that
2) he has a kid and many kids or teens could relate to some aspects of a father lost and found concept.
3) many women could like it based on the may be less bloody tint
4) there is a whole world of population other than America an UK which rakes in dollars for these movies and you will be surprised that more money is earned abroad than in US or UK.

You will also be surprised to see that most companies and prod houses are taking money from other film industries to produce movies... Almost 1 out of 3 movies are funded and invested partially by foreign houses.

So long answer short, while an ardent lover of robocop original, i see some merit in doing the new one the way its being done and pls remember along with 1 pct of us die hard fans there are billions of casual movie goers who really dont care or rather have not cared to see the old robocop and even if they end up seeing now, they may have mixed reactions to it...

So let's see what the movie has script and acting wise and we can always thrash it to death if its bad!....

What's your end game? A better movie than Robocop? It sure didn't need an update in any way, and if this new one failed at major aspects like the villains that's even worse still. They copied the formula and couldn't trace over the lines?

Do you dislike the first movie? Do you like it so much you want more? But it's not more, it's not a sequel. And it's not new really. It's like a glorified fan remake.

I just don't get the end game. Will you one day five years from now be so bored and kinda feel like watching Robocop but not want to actually watch a good movie so just pop this version in instead? Do you just have that much free time? Have you considered masturbating or volunteering at a soup kitchen? :lol

Call this something else and maybe it'd become it's own interesting Iron Man thing but this is never going to surpass Robocop. It's pointless and for money, it's going to spend it's entire existance in the shadow of it's far superior predecessor. It never even had a shot. It kinda makes sense when you want to remake a movie most people agree is trash like Judge Dredd. It makes perfect sense if your performing theatre again and again. But when you already have the universally loved professional stage actors version of something commited to film why go down to the local middle school and film their take on it? The people whos kids are in those things don't even want to be there. :lol And thats this movie. It's the "Murica Middle School's performance of Robocop.

Release the DiFabio. :lol

fl-difabio-uniform-7TH.jpg

Some thoughts regarding this flick:

From what I've seen there appears to be no clear cut villain, there may very we'll be in the movie but as of now there's lots of drones and ED-209's but other than that no prime villain. The original was a very clear cut good guys vs bad guys movie. The cop went after the robbers.

The variation of bodies will most likely remove that feeling of a man/machine hybrid. There's been at least three bodies for him in the previews, having that many will remove the thought of him being a cyborg and instead give the impression he's a man dressing up in various armours. It also seems illogical to me to have all these expensive to make bodies but only one cop to occupy one at a time, surely they'd only make them if they were being used efficiently. Having three cops in three different cyborg bodies each with a unique function to respond to the appropriate threat makes more sense than having one who has to come back, have his organs and limbs transplanted from one body to another.

All of that will most likely be addressed and make sense in the movie, that's just a thought I had based on the previews.

From what I've seen this doesn't look like a remake of Robocop so much as a re-imagining

Don't bother A-dev, there's no use, they decided how they felt months ago.

:clap

Perfectly said.

Last edited:
This doesn't pertain to just this movie but people *****ing about movies in general. Why do people spend so much time *****ing and complaining about reboots and remakes? If it doesn't look like something you're going to enjoy just don't go see it. Why waste so much time complaining about it? This movie is never going to replace the original and it was never meant to. Am I expecting a masterpiece out of this? No, but I'm going to see it out of curiosity and in the hope that, if nothing else, it's an entertaining movie to watch.

I would relate this to the Bourne books and movies. The books are a great read (minus the ending to Ultimatum). The movies have almost nothing to do with the books outside of the inclusion of some character names. This fact doesn't make the movies any less enjoyable, they just have to be enjoyed for what they are, not what they aren't. At the end of the day you can either ***** that the movies weren't identical to the source material or enjoy them because they were good as a separate entity. The same applies to the new Robocop. It's not going to be the same movie as the original, and why would anyone want it to be? If that was the case just go watch the original.

I just don't get why people waste so much time and energy complaining about these things.

thanks vintijdroidgutzz. regarding this not having resonance or relevance, it depends on what you're looking for. to me there is definitely a timeless resonance with the issues of humanity and what defines it, and the notion of control and how much do you need to be considered having "free will"? those are very interesting points the film presents and although it ultimately doesn't give us a clear-cut "answer" to them all, it does at least have a point of view. as for relevance, the whole thing about independently-functional war drones and the distortion/manipulation of the media are very current topics which the film highlights.
I guess to clarify a little; grappling with one's identity, the drones thing, free will - sure, all relevant topics in the here & now.. but did they need to remake RoboCop to cover those things? They could've handled that kind of subject matter in many other ways. :lol

The original RoboCop is masterfully multi-layered - it made a bold statement, took the piss out of America, had an all star team of artists etc, & gave us a robot cop with kick@iss classic 80s excess in spades. It's unique in that way.

There are some films that just do not need to be remade, sorry.

Last edited:

Nope. Not looking for a better Robocop film than the original. The original is perfect and self contained to me. As far as villains go, nobody could ever top **** Jones or Clarence Broddicker and the gang as far as I'm concerned. So I don't mind. Judging by the reviews, the villains in this piece aren't "villains" per se. Sounds like Bob Morton to me where you understand their reasoning and ideals, but they're bad for our antagonist. Morton was never a straight up villain, but he was a great character.

You know what though? I like Robocop. I like the whole idea of a man becoming a machine and questioning his own humanity and existence. If the franchise can have a couple of sequels or reboots that are good, then why not? Why the hell not? I like the character, I like the genre, I like the story, I like the messages. Sue me if I want to see a new depiction and hope everything goes well.

Copy the formula? It sounds different enough to me. No matter how I feel about this new one (love it, like it, hate it), it will never take away from the original classic that this one owes it's existence to.

Do you dislike the first movie?

No, do you? Do you even care about the original? Or is it just, "OMG, WTF, I SEE A REBOOT EXISTS, REBOOTS ARE NO GOOOOOD".

Do you like it so much you want more?

Sure, why not? I love the character, this sounds like it has potential to at least compliment the original. I'm just not close minded to see it. What is so bad about this thing coming out? What is so bad about it being good or decent? I just don't get it.

When it was first announced, I was up in arms about it. You can even see what I stated in the beginning of the thread. But, now that I can put those misconceptions of the unknown aside, see these reviews and positivity, I can buy into it. Maybe I'll see it and think it blows? Who knows. But I'm not going to go in there without giving it a chance because, "OMG, IT'S A MONEY GRABBING REBOOT OF THE ORIGINAL". That's ****ing stupid and childish. You guys look brash and obnoxiously brazen with this attitude you have.

But it's not more, it's not a sequel. And it's not new really. It's like a glorified fan remake.

What would a sequel entail? Weller coming back? He's too old, he wouldn't do it. Verhoeven? He's making films in the Netherlands, he ain't coming back.

I'm of the mind that the original Robocop is self contained anyway. I don't need sequels to that film. I love the ending, I love "nice shooting son, what's your name . . . . . Murphy". I don't hate Robo 2 like I do 3 and actually find it enjoyable, but I still feel that the original is in it's own, rightful place.

This is a reboot. A new depiction of a classic character. The filmmaker seems to know his stuff, I like what he has to say about the original and I'm willing to see what his take on the world of Robocop is like. His past films and documentaries are quite good, the philosophical reasoning behind doing this makes sense. I'm willing to give it a chance. If it's the same Hollywood schlock that they keep churning out, then I'll view it as such but ONLY after I see it.

Doubtful, the director said he's not interested in coming back.

Now I can potentially have TWO different Robocops to *** to in my spare time.

Call this something else and maybe it'd become it's own interesting Iron Man thing but this is never going to surpass Robocop.

Iron Man doesn't lose his entire body and isn't 90% machinery. He's an entrepreneur/businessman/scientist. He's not a good cop that transfers to a Detroit police department and gets blown to hell.

Robocop can't fly (like we all feared in the beginning). He doesn't shoot repulsions from his palms. He's man, machine and cop, created by a corporation with it's own agenda. There are differences from the original, but it seems like it's in the same vein.

It's pointless and for money

Is it?

Sounds to me like MGM had no real interest in a reboot and two filmmakers came to them with a pitch for a new one. Or are we meant to assume that, that's all a lie, and these directors are doing a little bit of money grubbin'?

it's going to spend it's entire existance in the shadow of it's far superior predecessor.

Then there's nothing to worry about. Let this little travesty die a horrible death.

Me? I'm going to give it a chance. I'm going to see it the same day I see the original in theaters (the classic I've been fapping to since I was a kid). Best case scenario, it adds to my experience of the original, makes me even more excited for old Robo again, and makes me see the story in a different light that I never thought about/or have seen before. Worst case scenario? I think it's a piece of ****, hate it and come back on a message board to get in on the big circle jerk with those who have blind hate.

Then there's nothing to worry about. It never even had a shot. It kinda makes sense when you want to remake a movie most people agree is trash like Judge Dredd. It makes perfect sense if your performing theatre again and again. But when you already have the universally loved professional stage actors version of something commited to film why go down to the local middle school and film their take on it? The people whos kids are in those things don't even want to be there. :lol And thats this movie. It's the "Murica Middle School's performance of Robocop.

Only problem with that is this isn't the same play. If everyone had this attitude that you seem to have, I wouldn't have gotten my beloved Thing, The Fly, The Departed or other "remakes" that I love.

How about you and your crappy TEH AMAZING SPIDER-MAN flicks? The Raimi originals were fine (atleast two of them were), we didn't need "plays" of those again so soon. Then here comes a "new" version less than 5 years later and it's pretty much just a blatant revision of the originals. Atleast it's been 27 years since the original Robocop and not . . . ****ing 5.

Even Nam can attest to that one. Why did this ASM junk have to happen? But hey, atleast I've given those a chance too.

Not what I had in mind. :lol

Fixed

Last edited:
You're not hurting the movie doing that, you're hurting the toy company, the store and kids that want to purchase them.

Nam, Nam, Nam, I'm surprised at you.

I have been looking forward to seeing this remake for some time. The thing is so was my Daron, he really wanted to see it too. So when the trailers started to come out and the all the adverts it started to make me feel guilty. But I will go see this movie. I can go in Daron's memory and rate it as he would have done. I still prefer the first one. I love the violence in it.

Nope. Not looking for a better Robocop film than the original. The original is perfect and self contained to me. As far as villains go, nobody could ever top **** Jones or Clarence Broddicker and the gang as far as I'm concerned. So I don't mind. Judging by the reviews, the villains in this piece aren't "villains" per se. Sounds like Bob Morton to me where you understand their reasoning and ideals, but they're bad for our antagonist. Morton was never a straight up villain, but he was a great character.

You know what though? I like Robocop. I like the whole idea of a man becoming a machine and questioning his own humanity and existence. If the franchise can have a couple of sequels or reboots that are good, then why not? Why the hell not? I like the character, I like the genre, I like the story, I like the messages. Sue me if I want to see a new depiction and hope everything goes well.

Copy the formula? It sounds different enough to me. No matter how I feel about this new one (love it, like it, hate it), it will never take away from the original classic that this one owes it's existence to.

No, do you? Do you even care about the original? Or is it just, "OMG, WTF, I SEE A REBOOT EXISTS, REBOOTS ARE NO GOOOOOD".

Sure, why not? I love the character, this sounds like it has potential to at least compliment the original. I'm just not close minded to see it. What is so bad about this thing coming out? What is so bad about it being good or decent? I just don't get it.

When it was first announced, I was up in arms about it. You can even see what I stated in the beginning of the thread. But, now that I can put those misconceptions of the unknown aside, see these reviews and positivity, I can buy into it. Maybe I'll see it and think it blows? Who knows. But I'm not going to go in there without giving it a chance because, "OMG, IT'S A MONEY GRABBING REBOOT OF THE ORIGINAL". That's ****ing stupid and childish. You guys look brash and obnoxiously brazen with this attitude you have.

What would a sequel entail? Weller coming back? He's too old, he wouldn't do it. Verhoeven? He's making films in the Netherlands, he ain't coming back.

I'm of the mind that the original Robocop is self contained anyway. I don't need sequels to that film. I love the ending, I love "nice shooting son, what's your name . . . . . Murphy". I don't hate Robo 2 like I do 3 and actually find it enjoyable, but I still feel that the original is in it's own, rightful place.

This is a reboot. A new depiction of a classic character. The filmmaker seems to know his stuff, I like what he has to say about the original and I'm willing to see what his take on the world of Robocop is like. His past films and documentaries are quite good, the philosophical reasoning behind doing this makes sense. I'm willing to give it a chance. If it's the same Hollywood schlock that they keep churning out, then I'll view it as such but ONLY after I see it.

Doubtful, the director said he's not interested in coming back.

Now I can potentially have TWO different Robocops to *** to in my spare time.

Iron Man doesn't lose his entire body and isn't 90% machinery. He's an entrepreneur/businessman/scientist. He's not a good cop that transfers to a Detroit police department and gets blown to hell.

Robocop can't fly (like we all feared in the beginning). He doesn't shoot repulsions from his palms. He's man, machine and cop, created by a corporation with it's own agenda. There are differences from the original, but it seems like it's in the same vein.

Is it?

Sounds to me like MGM had no real interest in a reboot and two filmmakers came to them with a pitch for a new one. Or are we meant to assume that, that's all a lie, and these directors are doing a little bit of money grubbin'?

Then there's nothing to worry about. Let this little travesty die a horrible death.

Me? I'm going to give it a chance. I'm going to see it the same day I see the original in theaters (the classic I've been fapping to since I was a kid). Best case scenario, it adds to my experience of the original, makes me even more excited for old Robo again, and makes me see the story in a different light that I never thought about/or have seen before. Worst case scenario? I think it's a piece of ****, hate it and come back on a message board to get in on the big circle jerk with those who have blind hate.

Only problem with that is this isn't the same play. If everyone had this attitude that you seem to have, I wouldn't have gotten my beloved Thing, The Fly, The Departed or other "remakes" that I love.

How about you and your crappy TEH AMAZING SPIDER-MAN flicks? The Raimi originals were fine (atleast two of them were), we didn't need "plays" of those again so soon. Then here comes a "new" version less than 5 years later and it's pretty much just a blatant revision of the originals. Atleast it's been 27 years since the original Robocop and not . . . ****ing 5.

Even Nam can attest to that one. Why did this ASM junk have to happen? But hey, atleast I've given those a chance too.

:lol

Well said

Yet I feel all that applies here too. Halfassed story, CG'd hero, etc. It's like they looked at RoboCop, took what would be easy to reproduce for the quick cash grab (superficial plot elements, basic, hollow representations of the principals), and halfassed the rest... just like they did with ASM. :huh

Back