Removing a SS head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkZenMaster

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello there:eek:

Whats the best way to remove the head from a sideshow fig and replace it with another one?

Please someone help:monkey2

Grab a hold of it and pull as hard as you can.

No No No! Thats Hot Toys, you will break the neck if you do it this way. Heat up the part where the neck meets the head really good with a blow dryer and then wedge a flat head screwdriver in there. It should pop off with a little pull.

Who the ^^^^ is King Darkness anyway? :dunno

:D

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Use either a blow dryer to heat it up or boiling water. Both work fine and are safe.

What about putting the new head on? Is there anything I should watch out for as far as the neck piece?

What about putting the new head on? Is there anything I should watch out for as far as the neck piece?

I usually do the same for putting a head back on. Either heat it with a blow dryer or boil it. If the neck is soft you should have no troubles.

well if it doesnt just pop on easy, try using some dish soap or something on the neck post. shouldnt be too hard to pop a head on especially if it is another sideshow head.

Capital day to you Battsworth.
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> :duff
Monocle-man.JPG

Usually if I'm working with a custom head I will either dremmel a little extra out of the neck or even dremmel down the neck post so I can then glue the head in place. This is of course a more permanent method. But you don't risk damaging the paint with head or boiling water. And some of the heads that are cast aren't as pliable as others so boiling or heating might not work.

You can also set the new head by filling its cavity with bathroom silicone caulk instead of glue. Just put the head at the appropriate angle and don't touch it for at least 24 hours. The silicone won't be hardy enough to tolerate multiple removal-and-replacement operations, but you can alway scrape it out and start over.

BTW, I think we need a special "removing a SS head" forum just for this question. If the mods moved all existing versions of this question into it, it would be almost as big as the "Save the Planet of the Apes" thread. :rolleyes:

I have some custom heads (by Les, Customikey, and DarkArtist) and I have boiled off and on each head with no adverse side effect.

You can also set the new head by filling its cavity with bathroom silicone caulk instead of glue. Just put the head at the appropriate angle and don't touch it for at least 24 hours. The silicone won't be hardy enough to tolerate multiple removal-and-replacement operations, but you can alway scrape it out and start over.

BTW, I think we need a special "removing a SS head" forum just for this question. If the mods moved all existing versions of this question into it, it would be almost as big as the "Save the Planet of the Apes" thread. :rolleyes:

That's been suggested as its a thread that pops up at least once a month... although usually its from newer members (no slight to them) who my guess is might not know enough to find the appropriate thread.

Although it could be put in the FAQ section... even though its not about the board it sure is a FAQ.

uh, so, this is as good as any place to ask...
is there anyone on here i can send an unpainted custom head sculpt to for an awesome paint app?
if so, how much should i expect to pay?

i'd do it myself, but i'd rather not d1ck up a $15 head and hope another one pops up on ebay some day.

I just did this last night.
I simply filled a coffee mug ( microwave safe ) w water , heated it on the beverage setting for 2 minutes, placed the figure upside down into the mug walked away for 8 minutes, came back and just pulled !!!
It popped right off !!

:)
\Russ

Back