Remake of 'Romancing the Stone'??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Fox wants to remake Romancing the Stone? Alright. In these trying economic times, we must all make sacrifices to keep Matthew McConaughey employed. From THR:

Fox is bringing "Romancing the Stone" to the big screen again, swinging into development a remake of the 1984 adventure movie and tapping Daniel McDermott to write it.
The original movie helped launch Robert Zemeckis as a director, turned Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito -- then best known for their TV work -- into film stars and established Kathleen Turner as a romantic lead.

Written by Diane Thomas, "Romancing" told the story of a repressed romance novelist who travels to Colombia to find her missing sister only to meet up with an American soldier of fortune. The two embark on a cross-country adventure involving a map, a jewel and a private police force.

TELL ME this means someone will cover Eddy Grant's Romancing the Stone theme, which might be (almost certainly is) the worst song ever recorded. It's so, so bad, and it never ends. There's always another chorus, or a guitar solo, or even more chorus. You need to bring a few Nature Valley bars if you're going to listen to it in one sitting. It's not even long so much as arduous.

If you haven't heard this horrible titular song, you need to experience the music video, paying special attention to when Eddy throws a machete into the air and it turns into a guitar for him to pretend to play:

Fox sucks so much its not even funny. They're really the worst film studio working today.

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Oh! That's a quote from a great Fox Film

Oh...and that was before Tom Rothman took over...since then, the studio has become the worst.

I love the first one - but a re-imagining could be interesting. However I'd agree that it doesn't really make much sense to remake a film only 20 years old and one that was pretty good in the first place.

I only read the thread title... one word.... SAD.

What's wrong with the classics anymore??? Does everything have to be redone in CGI?

Sh!#, while we're at it, how about remake Casablaca, or Bambi, or Wizard of Oz.

I was hanging out this past Friday doing some day drinking the day after Thanksgiving, and a song came over the speakers... let me think... it was a song by Supertramp... I think Breakfast in America. And my buddy, who's 40+ and dating a ~20 year old, the girl heard the song and I said it was a good remake. She had no idea it was a remake (which I don't fault her for at all). Shoot, the original was before my time. but I thought her comment was noteworthy. went something like this... "I'm sick and tired of hearing all these great songs and giving the band credit, only to find out they ripped off another band. I thought this was original."

Edit: I don't think this is the same artist (The song I heard recently was nearly the same as the original lyrically-wise, but with a few hip hop beats in the back ground), but this is exactly what I'm talking about... We need originality.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/kM3eY1WC-xQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/kM3eY1WC-xQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

What's wrong with the classics anymore??? Does everything have to be redone in CGI?

Sad thing is, they did remake The Wizard of Oz with Micheal Jackson and Diana Ross. It's called The Wiz. Thanks for The Thomas the Tank engine video. My daughter loved it.

Meh, studios have been remaking older movies for decades. Gone In Sixty Seconds, Bourne Identity, etc., etc., etc. Romancing the Stone is definitely not on my untouchable list. The original is good but I'd go see a remake.

I can understand remaking some old movies that were old enough to only be black and white, but this one really doesn't need to be remade. If it has enough changes in it, it might be fine and I will give it a chance. I hope it's not going to be McConaughey in the lead though. :(

I am pretty sick to death of the fact that 90% of movies released are either remakes (of movies and TV shows), sequels, or pathetically derivative imitations of something else that came before.

If they do this, I hope it is a truly inventive "re-imagining," but I doubt very seriously that it would be.

I was hanging out this past Friday doing some day drinking the day after Thanksgiving, and a song came over the speakers... let me think... it was a song by Supertramp... I think Breakfast in America. And my buddy, who's 40+ and dating a ~20 year old, the girl heard the song and I said it was a good remake. She had no idea it was a remake (which I don't fault her for at all). Shoot, the original was before my time. but I thought her comment was noteworthy. went something like this... "I'm sick and tired of hearing all these great songs and giving the band credit, only to find out they ripped off another band. I thought this was original."

Edit: I don't think this is the same artist (The song I heard recently was nearly the same as the original lyrically-wise, but with a few hip hop beats in the back ground), but this is exactly what I'm talking about... We need originality.

<EMBED src=https://www.youtube.com/v/kM3eY1WC-xQ&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Blah!! :mad:

Back