Red Sonja She-Devil with a Sword PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is assuming it comes out like that. $550 is starting to get steep when SSC QA is lackluster.
Lol worst case, I'll save up a bit of loot and have her repainted in the future. It's near impossible to deny the utter beauty of the sculpt. And best case, Sideshow knocks it the **** outta the park!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Does ss accept s refund if the paint apps don't turn out like proto? It's the only reason I'm holding out.

Not easily no. And don't kid yourself, it will absolutely not look like the proto. Might end up ok, but it won't be that good. If that's what you're holding out for might as well give up now.

Last edited:
Yeah, better to budget for a repaint on this. Seeing the proto I wouldn't have it any other way now. No going back IMO. :lecture

Not easily no. And don't kid yourself, it will absolutely not look like the proto. Might end up ok, but it won't be that good. If that's what you're holding out for might as well give up now.

In some rare cases, like the Hellboy PF, it does look as good as the proto.

And Kerrigan. Remember when she was shown at SDCC and everyone was all... "That paint is so detailed. It WON'T come out looking that way at all, it will be terrible".

Now people are saying its one of the statues of the year from Sideshow.

Take what everyone says in these forums with a grain of salt. No one knows what the hell she will look like until Fedex shows up at your door in a year.

Human skin tones are a completely different thing than Kerrigan's and Hellboy's skin. Kerrigan and Hellboy don't exist in real life, you don't have a real reference model, while for human figures you have plenty of references, so every mistake and inaccuracy will be much more glaring to the eye. This is not to say that the final piece will come out like crap, just pointing it out that the comparison is not apples to apples.
There are exactly zero Sideshow pieces that can be used as a comparison to the paint app of this Sonja, even if I pick male human characters with a lot of skin showing, like Conan, it still doesn't compare to the level of realism they pulled on Sonja's proto since with them they played a lot with shades around their muscles to give more depth to paint. Can't do that on Sonja or she'll look roided up. In a few words, nobody can predict right now how this comes out.

Btw, even if the paint app comes out worse than proto, a repaint might not be that expensive if the base is good enough for the painter to work on it. If it comes out like first RS, then yes, it's going to be expensive since he'd have to strip everything out and start from scratch.

^That is true. But aside from the skin tones, I'm hoping all the other things can be like the Hellboy PF, such as the clean, sharp paints, no smears, no bleedings, the exact colors as the prototype, all just the same, what we see is what we get.

Now Sonja might be tricky with the skin tones, but at least her lips, eyes, make up can be as great and as tidy as Hellboy's teeth, eyes, flame effect, etc. I'm sure you get what I mean.

Batgirl came out perfectly. Just saying.

Single tone paint jobs are quite literally the most basic paint job you can do. The fact that they **** it up in the first place is mind boggling. Like seriously having a clean paint app on single tone shouldn't be a cause to be impressed it's just straight up mediocre. For the most part Sonja herself in this one is single tone, the snake is far from it though.

^That is true. But aside from the skin tones, I'm hoping all the other things can be like the Hellboy PF, such as the clean, sharp paints, no smears, no bleedings, the exact colors as the prototype, all just the same, what we see is what we get.

Now Sonja might be tricky with the skin tones, but at least her lips, eyes, make up can be as great and as tidy as Hellboy's teeth, eyes, flame effect, etc. I'm sure you get what I mean.

Sure thing, Hellboy is one of the most photogenic statues I've ever seen. Comes out good even with flash and strong light and I perfectly agree on what you mean about the "sharpness" of the lines. Very underrated piece imho.

Batgirl came out perfectly. Just saying.

The point that someone has been trying to make so far is exactly this - Batgirl's paint app is a joke compared to Sonja's paint app, as far as difficulty goes.
Batgirl has a black suit with some shades and a minimal amount of skin showing. Period, that's basic paint. People get excited when Sideshow pieces come out without googly eyes and paint bleeds but really, that should be a given, dao is right. It's just that people have lowered their standards so much in the last years that everything on the average/decent level seems much better now.

I'll make one last example and then let the argument go: I'm waiting for a 1:4 Prometheus Engineer kit. He's, of course, a big guy, I'd say more or less 1,5 times taller than Sonja and with overall double her body mass. It's not the easiest paint app around since the suit has got to have many shades, an organic feel and some powderish portions where it fuses with the skin. Also, it's a kit, so it requires some tweaks, glue, sanding. Even then, I asked my painter how much would it cost to make a full repaint of Sonja (just Sonja) to match prototype quality, and his rough estimate is about double of what he's asking for the Engineer. This is to give the idea of the care and amount of time needed to nail the correct skin tones, shades, realistic sweat, layers of paint and so on, it costs more simply because it requires more time and more care (mind: to a pro painter as much to a factory worker).

And again, this is not to bash the piece. Quite the opposite, I think that people keep on comparing this piece to older Sideshow releases while this is by far more complex than the average piece, Sideshow really stepped up their game here.

Human skin tones are a completely different thing than Kerrigan's and Hellboy's skin. Kerrigan and Hellboy don't exist in real life, you don't have a real reference model, while for human figures you have plenty of references, so every mistake and inaccuracy will be much more glaring to the eye. This is not to say that the final piece will come out like crap, just pointing it out that the comparison is not apples to apples.
There are exactly zero Sideshow pieces that can be used as a comparison to the paint app of this Sonja, even if I pick male human characters with a lot of skin showing, like Conan, it still doesn't compare to the level of realism they pulled on Sonja's proto since with them they played a lot with shades around their muscles to give more depth to paint. Can't do that on Sonja or she'll look roided up. In a few words, nobody can predict right now how this comes out.

Btw, even if the paint app comes out worse than proto, a repaint might not be that expensive if the base is good enough for the painter to work on it. If it comes out like first RS, then yes, it's going to be expensive since he'd have to strip everything out and start from scratch.

You got a point

They don't need a reference for skin tones on Sonja. Cause there aren't any. Even the proto is a single color with no shading. Just a single skin tone base coat :|

No a single skin tone won't do. It doesn't exist a kind of paint that can simulate "skin tone" on itself, not a realistic one at least, you have to use a mix of colors and it takes time and patience. She has a lot of shading and gradients, plus subtle shadowing around the muscle lines and, most of all, they went with a very realistic look. There's a reason why Blitzway statues are so praised, and it's the realistic rendition of skin/faces, if it was easy to pull all statues would have that kind of effect, instead the average mass produced statue has the monochromatic skin tone you mention. Keyword here is "subtle", it's a mix of details (realistic skin tones, slight tan, shadowing around muscle, slight sweat effect) that when put together make a world of difference. And while it's true that they're all small details on themselves, this means that during production each one of them is a possible cause of screwup. They're more variables added.

Snake? That's probably the easiest part. It has lots of colors, true, but this means that you don't have to perfectly dose them, if they screw up a scale here and there nobody will care, or if you paint the intestines darker or lighter, put more or less blood and so on, the overall effect is the same. But on Sonja's body, everything has to flow and mistakes are going to be much harder to hide.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not proper skin, but it's what SS is going to do. Blitzway obviously does a better job :|

Sonja is gonna be easy as it's just going to be a base coat and some light details (which they'll probably not do that great, and then use a dead-eyed decal for the eyes). The snake does indeed have some leeway, but it's still more detail, weathering, and shading than the Sonja will have.

We will agree to disagree that her skin is an easy undertaking. SS may do an acceptable job.

Back