Recommendations...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now does sculpey come in an air-drying formula?

I'm not sure but this is where you're going to think I'm crazy. I'll put sculpey on a sculpt and bake the the actually head sculpt. Now for me it depends on how hard the plastic or what materials it is but very rarely have I had a sculpt melt on me. You just have to watch the sculpt in the oven very carefully. This is probably not the best or maybe even the worst way to do it and I'm sure there are different and better clays to use but this is what I've been doing and it seems to work for me. Disclaimer: try at your own risk. :lol

Yeah, well I"ve been researching various air drying clays on the web. Everything from Crayola to Milliput. But at this point, I'm just trying to get some ideas, etc.

But do you think this is a good sculpt to work from?

Yeah, well I"ve been researching various air drying clays on the web. Everything from Crayola to Milliput. But at this point, I'm just trying to get some ideas, etc.

But do you think this is a good sculpt to work from?

I think it's a really good sculpt to work from. It looks very similar to DD. If you can ever get your hands on a Mulder sculpt that would be good too.

For air drying I recommend magic sculpt. I've used it myself for hair. As other have said it's doable. It would just take resculpting the hair and a much better paint job.

Hey dude. If you can find a head sculpt that is made from a softer plastic and has the right hair you are after, you can dremel the head out and sit the hair on the head. The softer plastic will allow it to be flexible and fit the new head sculpt.

Here is an example that I did with my SS Indy HS and Bros. Production Hair.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85364

Dunno if you want to go that far but it can turn out really well.

It could be of some use. But it looks like it's lacking detail, kind of soft looking, and I'm not sure if the SS heads are slightly bigger.

Well the heads are fairly cheap and available on eBay by the looks of things. I guess you never know until you give it a shot. I guess it just depends on whether or not you wanna jump in the deep end and risk it or not. Always a last resort option anyway.

On Ebay, could you post a link? I did find the Dragon sculpt for relatively cheap on the Bay, But I was hoping to find someone in the States to buy it from.

I think the easiest solution would be to used the sideshow Muler scully.
But again it's not the best.

The one you are planning to use has a good likeness.
I would try to sculpt the hair.

I use Miliput a two part components.
It's pretty easy to use but dries pretty quickly. A few hours so you will have to work fast :)

Thank you Seb for taking the time to give some tips. And I agree with you on that note; It would be easier to use the SS Mulder head, but the face just looks slightly...pudgy or something. I think the Dragon sculpt, though lacking in detail, and in need of a new do, has more potential.

I would just suggest using Aves epoxy, or Magic Sculp.
Those are two great epoxies that are much cheaper than Milliput and provide fantastic results. You can buy the small two stick package of Milliput for $15 or whatever it costs (I haven't bought it for many years, but it was comparatively expensive back then), or buy some Aves Apoxie Sculpt for significantly cheaper. You can easily tint the Aves, by adding small amounts of oil paints (A little goes a long way!). Works perfectly. I'd imagine you can do the same with Magic Sculpt, but I like the fact that Aves Apoxie is available in many colors. Also, Aves has other epoxies, such as Fix-It Sculpt, that offer a longer work time. But, for hair and stuff like that, Apoxie Sculpt is perfect.
You still have a good few hours to work with Apoxie Sculpt before it starts to get too hard to detail effectively.
Anyway....just my two cents. Good luck with your project. :)

Back