Qui-Gon + George Washington = Same Hairstylist?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got a chance to work on him today. But I think I have a plan of attack to finish him tomorrow. :)

Ok, you guys probably didn't notice, but I was out of town for a couple weeks. And FINALLY, today, I got a chance to work on him a bit. It's still a work in progress. Based on photos, I was attempting to make his beard a little scraggly. Although I'm not happy with it's current outcome, so I will definitely fix that. Tell me what you guys think of him so far.

600js7.jpg

img1011800hi4.jpg

The beard doesn't look bad. The rest of your repaint and the hair additions totally rock though!!!! :rock

very nice man, awesome work.

So did you rip off the hair piece and just sculpt a new top for him? It looks great whatever you did!

Thanks Pixletwin! I intentionally roughened up the beard to simulate stray hairs jutting out, but it didn't really come across the way I was hoping. But I like to experiment, so that's that. :) I will smooth the layers out a bit and get rid of the blotchy look. It's funny, I also added many gray streaks, but either they dried out less noticeable or the yellow light is masking them, so he looks a bit younger. I worked hard to keep the hair as close to the head as I could to get rid of the wig look. I sanded down the original hair all the way. It might look a little too symmetrical, but I am happy with the overall appearance. Man, after getting Qui-Gon done, I am really itching to pull out his Sith antagonist and see what I can do with him. :D

Thanks Reefer Shark! Yeah, I was going to add onto the flexible portion of hair. But I soon realized it wouldn't be a good idea because the Sculpey would just crack off. lol Darren has mentioned he might redo the entire hair piece with a flexible plastic which would be really cool to see. I sanded down the top portion and put a new layer on. I don't know if you guys notice, but I made his ears exposed as well. In this case, I am thankful that the hair piece was separate so that I could achieve that look.

Last edited:
ah, I see. He must have shaved off the "wings" then. The repaint really helps too. Nice work, for shizzle.

Thanks Pixletwin! I intentionally roughened up the beard to simulate stray hairs jutting out, but it didn't really come across the way I was hoping. But I like to experiment, so that's that. :) I will smooth the layers out a bit and get rid of the blotchy look. It's funny, I also added many gray streaks, but either they dried out less noticeable or the yellow light is masking them, so he looks a bit younger. I worked hard to keep the hair as close to the head as I could to get rid of the wig look. I sanded down the original hair all the way. It might look a little too symmetrical, but I am happy with the overall appearance. Man, after getting Qui-Gon done, I am really itching to pull out his Sith antagonist and see what I can do with him. :D

Oh there you are. Now I feel like I was talking behind your back - lol! Must've been a pain to sand that hairdo down!

I like that you did with the hair, but the beard work makes him look less like Liam Neeson. I would also add a bit to the hair in the back so it is kinda poofy on the sides above his shoulders.

You did a nice job of customizing but the way you fixed the hair makes his forehead look really odd 2 me.

I agree that the beard takes away from his likeness. I will definitely work on that. How does the forehead look odd compared to the original?

Justin, did you put him on a new body or is that the actual SS height difference between Qui-Gon and Maul?

I agree that the beard takes away from his likeness. I will definitely work on that. How does the forehead look odd compared to the original?

I think the hair is a bit too rounded. That is what is making the forehead look weird. Justin, if you look at the actual pic you posted his hair isn't quite so round and poofy-ish.

Give some shape to his hair (especially on the right side-Liam's right, that is).

:D

Thanks Josh, yeah I saw that. I was just curious if there was anything specific.

Pixletwin, I will see what I can do about the hair. I agree that it is a bit too symmetrical which might give a 'poofy' vibe.

Memnoch, yep that's the standard body. You can see the height difference between Qui-Gon and Obi-wan in the other pic. I think Sideshow did a pretty good job with the height variation. But I am planning to put Maul on a Hot Toys body. It will make him taller, although still not as tall as Qui-Gon. I didn't even know Maul was supposed to be short until it was discussed in these forums.

quigon.jpg

quigon.jpg

quigon.jpg

4675ac75d5163495311426cuf0.jpg

Ah. His head looks too rounded with what you did. Not bad just too rounded for my taste.

Back