Prime 1 Studio - Batman: Arkham Origins - Deathstroke Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been looking at it for about two weeks (hoping it would grow on me) and I just can't get over the cheap paints they used. How can you have a $1000 piece and not even put any shading in it. With the exception of the gun and the holster the paint job is very bland.

I think think this piece is nuts. Tons of detail. Even the pants look like real fabric (his butt)

I think XM has flat paint though. Their sculpts are nice but i dont know what it is i dont like any XM. They look bland or something. Sideshow make theirs look like art....like a statue. XM Looks like.....i guess a toy to me.

This statue is a BEAST! There will always be a few duds in the run of a piece. Some will have poor fitting parts, broken parts, or bad paint apps. I don't have any of those problems with mine and there's only been a handful of complaints I've seen so far. Most of the reviews I've seen have been stellar and positive. There's a reason for that.

I think think this piece is nuts. Tons of detail. Even the pants look like real fabric (his butt)

I think XM has flat paint though. Their sculpts are nice but i dont know what it is i dont like any XM. They look bland or something. Sideshow make theirs look like art....like a statue. XM Looks like.....i guess a toy to me.

it's funny how different opinions can be. An artist friend of mine said the exact same thing to me about Prime One and how he preferred xm much more in that regard.

it's funny how different opinions can be. An artist friend of mine said the exact same thing to me about Prime One and how he preferred xm much more in that regard.

As someone that does not own any XM statues, this is a really interesting topic to me. Based on pictures, some XM's look like they have great paint jobs (Wolverine, Phoenix, Mysterio) but some of their more celebrated statues appear to have (in pics) very , very bland paint applications despite excellent sculpt work? For example, the celebrated GR statue looks like it has very nice flame paint apps and the sculpt is amazing, but there seems to be no tonality to GR's black leather outfit. Maybe its really subtle and can only be noticed in person? I realize a black leather jacket and pants are simply "black", but it should have some subtle tones of grey or blues to make it stand out.

(A paint-app comparison would be the P1 AK Batman. Because he's mostly grey, some have said the paint apps are bland on it. But it actually has very good paint apps, with gradients, washes, and dry-brushing with varying grey tones.)

Another case would be the XM Darkness statue. The sculpt looks amazing and the paint apps on the creatures/base is great. And yet the paint apps on his suit and face look super bland in pictures. As if they literally just blocked-in the color on his suit without any gradients or shadowing. Am I missing something in the pictures?

The pictures (both prototype & production) for P1 DS capture the different paint apps (gloss, matt, metallics, gradients, dry-brushing and weathering, etc.) Hopefully, I'll see the XM GR and Darkness in person one day to see what the hype is about...

I own a bunch of xm statues and two 1:3 Prime One with more to come.

I am far from an expert...just give me clean lines and a great sculpt and I am a happy camper : )

As someone that does not own any XM statues, this is a really interesting topic to me. Based on pictures, some XM's look like they have great paint jobs (Wolverine, Phoenix, Mysterio) but some of their more celebrated statues appear to have (in pics) very , very bland paint applications despite excellent sculpt work? For example, the celebrated GR statue looks like it has very nice flame paint apps and the sculpt is amazing, but there seems to be no tonality to GR's black leather outfit. Maybe its really subtle and can only be noticed in person? I realize a black leather jacket and pants are simply "black", but it should have some subtle tones of grey or blues to make it stand out.

(A paint-app comparison would be the P1 AK Batman. Because he's mostly grey, some have said the paint apps are bland on it. But it actually has very good paint apps, with gradients, washes, and dry-brushing with varying grey tones.)

Another case would be the XM Darkness statue. The sculpt looks amazing and the paint apps on the creatures/base is great. And yet the paint apps on his suit and face look super bland in pictures. As if they literally just blocked-in the color on his suit without any gradients or shadowing. Am I missing something in the pictures?

The pictures (both prototype & production) for P1 DS capture the different paint apps (gloss, matt, metallics, gradients, dry-brushing and weathering, etc.) Hopefully, I'll see the XM GR and Darkness in person one day to see what the hype is about...

I leaned more on the side of XM's paint apps looking flat from photos until I saw HQ videos. The melting and rusting effects they get one the Sentinel bases for example is out of this world. There's definitely shading/tone variation on the statues themselves, but how that translates to looking realistic I just don't know until I see one in-hand. I do know from owning non-shaded translucent resin pieces that the sculpt details are just not going to show up under intense, multi-angle studio lighting companies use in solicitation photos. Works better on realistic statues where the textures bend display lighting to create their own shadows than less detailed, comic based ones.

I leaned more on the side of XM's paint apps looking flat from photos until I saw HQ videos. The melting and rusting effects they get one the Sentinel bases for example is out of this world. There's definitely shading/tone variation on the statues themselves, but how that translates to looking realistic I just don't know until I see one in-hand. I do know from owning non-shaded translucent resin pieces that the sculpt details are just not going to show up under intense, multi-angle studio lighting companies use in solicitation photos. Works better on realistic statues where the textures bend display lighting to create their own shadows than less detailed, comic based ones.

The sentinel paint is downright amazing. Saw it in person.

Sorry, my camera sucks.

Attachments

• IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0664.jpg
    IMAG0664.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 110
I own a bunch of xm statues and two 1:3 Prime One with more to come.

I am far from an expert...just give me clean lines and a great sculpt and I am a happy camper : )

I think I'm in the same boat as you, no expert but if it looks good overall then I'm a happy customer.

Sorry, my camera sucks.

Thanks for taking the time to post pics! Yeah, it could be that you got a dud that missed some paint apps and got pass QC. (I can't really tell in the pics, but I will definitely keep an eye out when I receive mine.)

Comapring your to mine. It looks like you got one with bad paint application.

82ef97a45b3e4a9de6da9c19a0973809.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's just different cameras. I can see the same paint bleeds and gap in the arm on yours. It's the actual paint that they used that bothers me, so it will most likely be the same on all of them. They're sending me a replacement for the flaws on mine, but I think I might cancel because I'm not that impressed. The place I have him is very bright, so I'm going to move him where the lighting is different and see if that helps. His knee pads look blurry, like when you zoom too close on an image. Though I must admit, the sculpt is really amazing on this piece.

Thanks for taking the time to post pics! Yeah, it could be that you got a dud that missed some paint apps and got pass QC. (I can't really tell in the pics, but I will definitely keep an eye out when I receive mine.)

I hope yours turns out better than mine. Watch out for the arm holding the staff because I've seen a few that don't fit properly.

Anyone else still not get their Exclusive? I have one on preorder on flex pay and just have the final payment left plus the shipping and I still got nothing and no emails. I've been calling but it always says Jennifer's busy.

Back