Poll: P1 Predator craft scene

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout ship or mothership?

• Total voters
Serious question: I'm just curious.. (because I've seen a couple people refer to the "size" of the ship in P1) how exactly are you determining the size of that ship when the only reference point in that entire scene to compare size is the EARTH and SPACE!? I just don't get that. I've heard "it's not as big as the one in AVP" how can you possibly say that.!?

OK, in a desperate bid to get this thread back on topic:

The closest thing to a clear answer is in Paul Anderson's commentary on the AVP DVD. According to him, the small ships held in recesses on the mothership were intended to be the same as the ship in the original Predator. They do look very similar, albeit that the AVP ones are only just visible in the background at the end of that film.

If you follow that through, then the ship in AVP-R (which launches from one of those recesses) should be about the same size as that in the original Predator.

OK, in a desperate bid to get this thread back on topic:

The closest thing to a clear answer is in Paul Anderson's commentary on the AVP DVD. According to him, the small ships held in recesses on the mothership were intended to be the same as the ship in the original Predator. They do look very similar, albeit that the AVP ones are only just visible in the background at the end of that film.

If you follow that through, then the ship in AVP-R (which launches from one of those recesses) should be about the same size as that in the original Predator.

Predator and AVP are not connected.

That's my point.

Predator - Predator 2
Alien - Aliens - Alien3 - Alien Resurrection

Those are stand alone movie franchises with their own movie cannon.

AVP - AVP:R

That's a stand alone movie franchise with its own movie cannon.

The problem isn't combining the 2 title creatures into a new story. That's fine. The problem occurs when you try to mix the movie cannon of those 2 franchises into 1. That creates huge plot holes and loose ends. Doing that makes things in both franchises not make sense. And this is the BIGGEST problem: all those plot holes and loose ends not explained, fans then try to fill in the gaps and explain them. But it doesn't work like that. If something isn't explained within a film, if something doesn't make sense.. it's just that: unexplained and doesn't make sense.

It's never explained why the First Predator asks Arnold "What the Hell are YOU!?" when in AVP it's shown that Predators have been around and known about humans since the beginning of our existence on this planet. It's shown Predators have actually had a hand in our civilization. But that contradicts the first Predator movie.. and that plot hole is never addressed by the AVP or AVP:R movies. Again, fans might surmize but that's irrelevant. Fan theories ARE NOT movie cannon.

It's never explained why the first Predator comes to Earth strictly to hunt humans for human skull trophies when in AVP it's shown that Predators HAVE access to Aliens. Why hunt a Human when you can hunt an Alien!? Again.. this isn't explained within the films and again, fans might surmize but it's irrelevant. Fan theories ARE NOT movie cannon.

There's more.. but these problem only really surface when you use AVP and AVP:R as movie cannon to the Predator and Alien franchises. When you take those out of the equation: it's fine.

That's my point.

Predator - Predator 2
Alien - Aliens - Alien3 - Alien Resurrection

Those are stand alone movie franchises with their own movie cannon.

AVP - AVP:R

That's a stand alone movie franchise with its own movie cannon.

It's never explained why the First Predator asks Arnold "What the Hell are YOU!?" when in AVP it's shown that Predators have been around and known about humans since the beginning of our existence on this planet. It's shown Predators have actually had a hand in our civilization. But that contradicts the first Predator movie.. and that plot hole is never addressed by the AVP or AVP:R movies. Again, fans might surmize but that's irrelevant. Fan theories ARE NOT movie cannon.

Actually the predator did'nt ask Arnold, he asked it. The predator was just mimicing his words.

Then how come before the Predator says that phrase the scene cuts to the Preds POV (red screen) looking at Arnold? If he was simply mimicing him that scene wouldn't be needed. WITH that scene intercut between the responses it infers a question, not simply the Predator repeating what had been said to it. Plus How come when the Predator sets off his gauntlet bomb he laughs like Billy? If The Predator simply mimics phrases/sounds and doesn't know when to use those phrases/sounds at appropriate times.. then why do that?

THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN: If you believe AVP and AVP:R are cannon please explain why the tagline for Predator is "Nothing like it has ever been on Earth before"!? Even Predator 2 created plot holes and that movie is a sequel and IS cannon.

Then how come before the Predator says that phrase the scene cuts to the Preds POV (red screen) looking at Arnold? If he was simply mimicing him that scene wouldn't be needed. WITH that scene intercut between the responses it infers a question, not simply the Predator repeating what had been said to it. Plus How come when the Predator sets off his gauntlet bomb he laughs like Billy? If The Predator simply mimics phrases/sounds and doesn't know when to use those phrases/sounds at appropriate times.. then why do that?

THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN: If you believe AVP and AVP:R are cannon please explain why the tagline for Predator is "Nothing like it has ever been on Earth before"!? Even Predator 2 created plot holes and that movie is a sequel and IS cannon.

The predator mimics the caractors in variouse parts through the movie
eg: overhear, anytime, what the hell are you, Billys laugh I dont know why he does it maybe because he can or he could just be taunting.

slimeyslug said:
what were the plot holes in p2, enlighten us.

Predator - "Nothing like it has ever been on Earth before"

Predator 2 - The Elder has a Flint lock pistol from 1715. Unless that Predator ransacked an antique shop, that means the Preds HAVE BEEN to Earth before.

Predator - While wearing it's Bio the Predator sees with thermal vision. Once the Bio is removed (actually WHILE it's being removed) you see the visual spectrum change from thermal to a completely red view. Meaning THAT'S the normal vision of a Predator.

Predator 2 - This Pred sees with thermal vision just like the first hunter, except it's revealed that the bio actually allows MORE visual spectrums (you see the Pred cycle through them in the meat warehouse). Problem is, once this Predator's Bio is removed by Harrigan, and AFTER the Predator smashes Harrigan's shotgun, you see a shot from the Preds POV (without a Bio on) of Keyes and it's in THERMAL VISION.. not the complete red spectrum from the first movie. Obviously it's an editing error.. but since it's in the film it's cannon and a plot hole.

Predator - There's at least one scene of the Predator sitting high up in the trees admiring his skull trophies (some from Harper and his team, some from Dutch's team) and they're all completely cleaned and polished.

Predator 2 - In Predator 2 when the Hunter kills King Willie, it takes Willie's severed head BACK to it's ship, and cleans/polishes it THERE. On that SHIP.

Everyone here says the first Pred came to Earth in a Pod just like in AVP/AVP:R. From what we've seen in AVP and AVP:R the pods are disposable once the Preds leave them. There isn't a single scene (deleted or otherwise) of a Predator in AVP and AVP:R returning to one of those pods. So their only use is for a one way trip to a destination. If the first Predator had no ship like everyone here claims, what did he polish his skull trophies with? There isn't a single scene in Predator explaining that. But it IS explained in P2 with the scene of the Predator cleaning/polishing King Willies skull. INSIDE A SHIP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above answers are all WITHIN the movie. What I'm about to say now is OUTSIDE of the movie. So it's a "Real Life" answer/explanation.

Source: "Hunter" Script (the original title and script for Predator)

Nacho said:
Actually the predator did'nt ask Arnold, he asked it. The predator was just mimicing his words.

Dutch (Originally called Schaefer)

SCHAEFER
(incredulous)
Who the hell are you...?

EXT. HUNTER'S P.O.V. OF SCHAEFER - NIGHT

Schaefer's body, looms over him, MOTTLED and STREAKED
from his exposed skin, blood oozing from the shoulder
wound, his eyes like black sockets in his almost
skull-like face. Seen from this perspective, Schaefer
is a frightening, horrible visage.

THE HUNTER

shudders, GASPING hungrily for air, strugging to speak.
From his throat, Schaefer HEARS the feeble, distorted
efforts of the Hunter, at first garbled,
incomprehensible and then, slowly, chillingly, taking
on the timbre and quality of his OWN VOICE.

HUNTER

(electronic;
filtered)
Who...
(improving)
...the hell...
(nearly perfect)
...are...
(perfect)
...You?

No mention in the script of the Predator simply "mimicing" at that point.

THE J0KER said:
in the scene we see a Predator Scout Ship deploy a pod containing the Jungle Hunter towards Earth

He turns back, SEEING the Hunter as he passes through
the shimmering distortion of a FORCEFIELD enveloping
the forest. Within the force field he SEES the vague,
nearly transparent OUTLINE of the Hunter's ship.

He approaches it, wide-eyed, his senses reeling with
astonishment and rage.

From within the force field, a PASSAGE WAY of BLUE LIGHT
appears, the Hunter's form backlit as he ascends the
RAMP to his spacecraft.

THE HUNTER

as he passes his hand through a light BEAM, the ship
instantly responds, as a low, TURBINELIKE HOWL is
HEARD, building slowly in volume and pitch.

SCHAEFER

in his weakened condition staggers forward, looking
up, SEEING the passage way of light diminish as the
door begins to close.

As rising HEAT WAVES begin to envelope the ship, the
Hunter stares out at Schaefer, the heat waves
increasing as the KEENING WHINE of the ship's drive
builds. He enters the force field, the door now
inches from closing.

Obviously all of this was changed. But as you can see in the original story the First Predator came to Earth in a SHIP.

God, I haven't sat in on an arguement like this since I stopped going to Sci-Fi Cons(I feel so nostalgic).And by the way, Devil, you're not a nerd;you're a geek...PS

Neither. If you ever met me in real life those two words would never cross your mind to describe me. Seriously. I keep stressing that.. but it seems people on here are desperate to group every member on here into the same group to feel normal, I guess. Not sure really. I mean, if it makes you feel good about yourself than that's cool with me. Knock yourself out. But no.. sadly.. no. Continue though.. I get a laugh out of it. :)

You seem awfully sensitive about this;such an adamant response usually indicates a strong case of standing in a North African River.Methinks thou doth protest too much...PS

oh.. I see. You're a Star Wars nerd. Great. So I guess I can expect yoda-like responses and crazy talk about "The Force" from you, right. Beautiful.

Back