Painters and recasters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used the Kane sculpt... just went with the damaged mask and facehugger head; which incidently, I seem to recall was a recast by HT of the Palisades mini-bust.

:panic::panic:

Funny how HT has down more "unethical" stuff than most customizers here. . . if we called it black and white. Using all these actor's likenesses without permission.

I'm not criticizing anyone in particular but I do want to clarify how likeness rights works for motion pictures.

Frequently nowadays when an actor signs on to perform in a film part of the contract involves securing likeness rights for merchandising. Usually the actor (depending on their clout) may get approval of the merchandise, but they can't say "no you can't make that."

However in olden days (pre-1990?) studios frequently didn't concern themselves with merchandising for R rated films and it wouldn't be in the performance contract. Therefore any likeness rights for product would have to be negotiated separately. We've heard about this such as HT going to Schwarzennegger for Predator; or Reeve, Nicholson, etc.

I'm not criticizing anyone in particular but I do want to clarify how likeness rights works for motion pictures.

Frequently nowadays when an actor signs on to perform in a film part of the contract involves securing likeness rights for merchandising. Usually the actor (depending on their clout) may get approval of the merchandise, but they can't say "no you can't make that."

However in olden days (pre-1990?) studios frequently didn't concern themselves with merchandising for R rated films and it wouldn't be in the performance contract. Therefore any likeness rights for product would have to be negotiated separately. We've heard about this such as HT going to Schwarzennegger for Predator; or Reeve, Nicholson, etc.

That makes sense considering how until the late 90s, 5 inch figures that wasn't Star Wars didn't resemble the actors. Before that, they barely looked like the actors

Trev. used light gray resin to cast his Dex. So if yours wasn't that, then it's sad, but it's a recast...

Damn. So it is a recast. Guess I should go ahead and paint it myself then (it would be my first attempt at painting a head sculpt) - I would still love to get my WGP Tom Baker painted by SS, though. Thanks for letting me know.

Please email me with your Freaks ID in the subject line:wink1:

Damn. So it is a recast. Guess I should go ahead and paint it myself then (it would be my first attempt at painting a head sculpt) - I would still love to get my WGP Tom Baker painted by SS, though. Thanks for letting me know.

Wait, so Robocop exists and is a separate entity from Peter Weller!?!?! Someone call the Weekly World News, post haste! That's just it, though; like Nam said, not everything is owned by the studio; namely, Weller's face. Since HT is using Weller's face without his permission, regardless of what character it's on, they would be wrong, would they not? I just find it hilarious that people who are so stagnantly opposed to custom sculpts using others' likenesses without their permission are okay with Hot Toys doing the same thing, I'm dumbfounded by it, actually

Post haste you said ? :nana:

An excerpt from the HT facebook page,
Thank you for many fans’ support when we introduced our latest RoboCop collectibles. We heard that you guys would love to see Alex Murphy as the unhelmeted RoboCop, so we got a good news for you all! Our Production Director & Chief Painter J.C. Hong has just shared photos of the work already in progress for the head sculpt on his blog (https://tiger231.blog.me/80191133866), so please stay tuned to see how it will look like in another version of RoboCop soon!

Sad that guy Q has Trevor's Kurt russel sculpt from big trouble in little china thought it wasn't available?

Hey batfan did you see ht announce their doing a Murphy hs for their Robo cop line?

Post haste you said ? :nana:

An excerpt from the HT facebook page,
Thank you for many fans’ support when we introduced our latest RoboCop collectibles. We heard that you guys would love to see Alex Murphy as the unhelmeted RoboCop, so we got a good news for you all! Our Production Director & Chief Painter J.C. Hong has just shared photos of the work already in progress for the head sculpt on his blog (https://tiger231.blog.me/80191133866), so please stay tuned to see how it will look like in another version of RoboCop soon!

Ya'll got lucky. I was opening a can of argumentative whoop *** until Howard Chan showed up and ruined my party.:lol Nah, in all fairness, though, it was a good argument. Now, on a similar note, what's your opinion of the Hot Toys Billy Sole?

And he's douchey enough to be using Nathan's photos to sell it.

Gotta say the pool of people the people who got it for him can't be very large.

Ya'll got lucky. I was opening a can of argumentative whoop *** until Howard Chan showed up and ruined my party.:lol Nah, in all fairness, though, it was a good argument. Now, on a similar note, what's your opinion of the Hot Toys Billy Sole?

I would like to think that after the swat head, Ht gets the license for the heads of their TT line - licenses of figures that were cancelled

:goodpost: Since the list is small, it isn't hard to pin point the buyer and/or painter that is responsible for this.

Somebody already said it was a silent surfer paint app on the picture so that means nothing. Q just pulls pics of completed figures to post and I GUARANTEE Nathan has nothing to do with Q.

Haha...tell me about it. :wink1:

I have no idea about the Billy Sole incident, I started off collecting much later and I haven't tried to dig deep into this (I glanced through your discussion with Nam). But I'll definitely weigh in on this after I'm back from my holiday. :1-1:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back