Painters and recasters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why else do you think there aren't any. . .Blondie licensed figures?
Well we do have these:

The-Good-The-Bad-And-The-Ugly-Minimates-Box-Set-For-Fans.jpg

But no likeness rights were required, which supports the argument that actor likenesses are necessary when not signed away to film companies. That also explains why it took so long to get licensed Ghostbusters and Back to the Future stuff from the actual films (even though Mattel stupidly decided not to use that right to produce a McFly action figure), why we didn't get a proper Kane or Ripley from Hot Toys, etc.

Well we do have these:

But no likeness rights were required, which supports the argument that actor likenesses are necessary when not signed away to film companies. That also explains why it took so long to get licensed Ghostbusters and Back to the Future stuff from the actual films (even though Mattel stupidly decided not to use that right to produce a McFly action figure), why we didn't get a proper Kane or Ripley from Hot Toys, etc.

You said it, brother! :hi5:

Well, well. I wander outside my subscribed threads for a change, and what do you know? A one-day-old thread on recasting, already over a hundred and fifty posts, and all the usual points being raised. Some pertinent. Some impertinent. (See what I did there?)

I think iFrack pointed out what should be a bright line for collectors. Yes, the stolen work is usually unlicensed and so the recaster knows he's got an edge. The sculptor can't take him to court, so gotcha! It's still theft. If you didn't sculpt it (or commission it, or buy the wax original from whoever did commission it), then don't sell copies. If you know you're being offered a recast, don't buy it. If you buy a recast, swallow the loss (after all, you were buying something you knew wasn't licensed, right?), and let other collectors know that there's a recaster at work. Because in the end, we're all complicit -- customizers want figures that none of the companies are making, or making to our standards. We need to support the sculptors who cater to us. Or they end up watching someone else reap the reward for their talent and time, and we wind up with inferior copies.

I sometimes wish the term "recaster" had never been invented. I prefer the term "counterfeit," as in, a counterfeit Bergholtz Bale head, which makes the situation quite clear. "Recasting" also casts a cloud over a useful customizing skill. There are legitimate reasons to learn to make molds and castings. Stealing customers from an artist isn't one of them. It would be great if we could develop the kind of mutual respect and support evidenced on The Clubhouse board, where the garage kit community alert one another, and their sculpting champions, to the presence of recasters.

As for this digression about actors' rights, Punishment1218 has it right. Actor's basic contracts now give the employer all rights to the actor's image in character. An actor can try to bargain for a share of merchandise income, but they're not a given, and the only actors who can get a share of it are those who have crossed that magical line between where an actor can't get nuthin' to where they can have whatever they want. Big stars, not just headliners. In the case of the actors from an earlier time like Karloff, Lugosi, Monroe or Dean, whose images generated piles of money complately apart from their films, contracts at that time didn't specifically claim image rights, so the families and estates were able to sue and establish image rights that could be handed down to heirs, like a copyright. But today, this will be settled when the actor's contract is signed (and that's when someone who simply doesn't want their face used, rather than to be paid for it, will put their foot down). Studios may have their own business reasons for not extending the actor's image to a toy company even when they could, like wanting to have a good relationship with the actor. But this is, I believe, a digression and a distraction. The actor mentioned probably wouldn't be paid for an action figure, but that's not the issue.

The subject is counterfeiting works that are often not licensed. "Two wrongs don't make a right," as the saying goes.

Well, well. I wander outside my subscribed threads for a change, and what do you know? A one-day-old thread on recasting, already over a hundred and fifty posts, and all the usual points being raised. Some pertinent. Some impertinent. (See what I did there?)

I think iFrack pointed out what should be a bright line for collectors. Yes, the stolen work is usually unlicensed and so the recaster knows he's got an edge. The sculptor can't take him to court, so gotcha! It's still theft. If you didn't sculpt it (or commission it, or buy the wax original from whoever did commission it), then don't sell copies. If you know you're being offered a recast, don't buy it. If you buy a recast, swallow the loss (after all, you were buying something you knew wasn't licensed, right?), and let other collectors know that there's a recaster at work. Because in the end, we're all complicit -- customizers want figures that none of the companies are making, or making to our standards. We need to support the sculptors who cater to us. Or they end up watching someone else reap the reward for their talent and time, and we wind up with inferior copies.

I sometimes wish the term "recaster" had never been invented. I prefer the term "counterfeit," as in, a counterfeit Bergholtz Bale head, which makes the situation quite clear. "Recasting" also casts a cloud over a useful customizing skill. There are legitimate reasons to learn to make molds and castings. Stealing customers from an artist isn't one of them. It would be great if we could develop the kind of mutual respect and support evidenced on The Clubhouse board, where the garage kit community alert one another, and their sculpting champions, to the presence of recasters.

As for this digression about actors' rights, Punishment1218 has it right. Actor's basic contracts now give the employer all rights to the actor's image in character. An actor can try to bargain for a share of merchandise income, but they're not a given, and the only actors who can get a share of it are those who have crossed that magical line between where an actor can't get nuthin' to where they can have whatever they want. Big stars, not just headliners. In the case of the actors from an earlier time like Karloff, Lugosi, Monroe or Dean, whose images generated piles of money complately apart from their films, contracts at that time didn't specifically claim image rights, so the families and estates were able to sue and establish image rights that could be handed down to heirs, like a copyright. But today, this will be settled when the actor's contract is signed (and that's when someone who simply doesn't want their face used, rather than to be paid for it, will put their foot down). Studios may have their own business reasons for not extending the actor's image to a toy company even when they could, like wanting to have a good relationship with the actor. But this is, I believe, a digression and a distraction. The actors mentioned probably wouldn't be paid for action figures, but that's not the issue.

The subject is counterfeiting works that are often not licensed. "Two wrongs don't make a right," as the saying goes.

Excellent post Gruff. I 100% agree with you that "counterfeitors" is a much more accurate term. From here on out I am erasing the term "recaster" from my vocab. :yess:

Agreed... well said Gruff; counterfeit is definitely more appropriate of a term.

Well we do have these:

With Minimates, I think I remember reading a post from Chuck or Zach clarifying that the lack of nose invalidates any likeness rights issues with the actors involved. But yes, the Western Trilogy Minimates are examples of some of the very few "official" Eastwood merchandise on the market.

I thought Chuck said something to the effect of these being simplistic caricatures allowed them to do this. But it could be the nose that is the key ingredient. That's also why Kubricks and Minimates were the only Back to the Future figures for the longest time (might still be, though HT and Mattel got those licenses). Could also be why we see licensed Stanley Kubrick merchandise from *shudder* Funko. But that Alex Bobblehead has a nose.

So what sculptors should do is offer a head w/o a nose... and also a set of "designer" noses for customers to pick and choose from.

I guess Voldemort or Humpty Hump sculpts would all be fair game then :lecture

I called Bigbrocha a Re-caster a while back and I want to offer a public apology to him. He sent me message on Facebook that pissed me off saying that i handle my business like a female, because i said some things because i thought he was taking advantage of the SOA fans on the deal he made with us on the "CUTS". In the end Jboy2911 admitted to sending Q my Jax head to recast (and he is still on the forum, and just bought Kato's Rick Grimes...so that should be available from Q very soon.)

I called Bigbrocha a Re-caster a while back and I want to offer a public apology to him. He sent me message on Facebook that pissed me off saying that i handle my business like a female, because i said some things because i thought he was taking advantage of the SOA fans on the deal he made with us on the "CUTS". In the end Jboy2911 admitted to sending Q my Jax head to recast (and he is still on the forum, and just bought Kato's Rick Grimes...so that should be available from Q very soon.)

Too late. I saw he had it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago.

So why are you apologizing again?

I think he's saying that Rocha was not a counterfeiter, but Jboy2911 was... although I have no idea who that is :huh

I tried to point that out as soon as I saw the Jax head Q was offering on eBay (a month or so ago) and my thread was deleted with no reason ever given. I knew Jboy and Q were friends ( I did a little digging on my own-he was buying SOA patches from me at the time and we sent a number of emails back and forth). So if Jboy is still here I'm not sure why.

Trev. used light gray resin to cast his Dex. So if yours wasn't that, then it's sad, but it's a recast...

Thanks. The Dexter head I got from him was casted in light tan resin, part of which was glossy. I checked my old inbox messages from him back in Nov, and he claimed that he bought two heads from a member here, but decided to sell one after cancealing his variant bash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back