Painters and recasters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get permission from DC/Warner Brothers to use Batman as your avatar? I know you are not making a profit from it, but I'll bet you are useing their property without their permission?

Kara tried that with me before. It's a straw man argument. It's considered Fair Use on the Internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

They probably wouldn't and this is another reason to be sure the painters you pay to paint your stuff are on the up and up. If your painter is also known to recast, then you probably don't want to send them your stuff to paint. Hopefully a list will get compiled by Dave and others to help folks who might not be aware.

That would definitely be helpful as would stickying this thread to the top.

Hmm, this is the second time today you've made a claim about me that I don't recall. Please re-post the instance where I was saying that you shouldn't user your avatar without a license-holder's permission.

Darklord Dave, you started this thread; can you kindly provide a list of "Known recasters" so that we can all avoid the folly of what your first post indicates?

That would be helpful to the newer/ uniformed members at SSF

Hmm, this is the second time today you've made a claim about me that I don't recall. Please re-post the instance where I was saying that you shouldn't user your avatar without a license-holder's permission.

It's in the same thread you pulled those other posts from. I believe you made the remark referencing my slaughter sig and avy. have fun. :wave

This thread isn't going to be a witch hunt against people who have purchased recasts ( though it is frowned upon). It is the people doing recasting that we are wanting to warn artists and buyers of. So far the two I know who fit this bill are Q (who has had people on this board buy for him - those the Admin know of have been banned...but there is probably more) and Odell - who has had several different names on this board.

Can you clarify, do you mean people who buy from Q's ebay? ex. knowingly buying a recasted head gets bannishment?

If you are using a known recaster as a painter - you are facilitating the distribution of sculpts in a way not sanctioned by the artist.

If you send a sculpt to a painter who is a known recaster it gives him the opportunity to recast it and sell it on. I recommend to all artists not to sell to any member that will use such a person for painting services.

:exactly: :exactly: :exactly: :exactly: :exactly:

They probably wouldn't and this is another reason to be sure the painters you pay to paint your stuff are on the up and up. If your painter is also known to recast, then you probably don't want to send them your stuff to paint. Hopefully a list will get compiled by Dave and others to help folks who might not be aware.

:lecture I really like the idea that Dave and mods to put a list together. I wonder if you (mods) could come up with some way for the members to report directly to you when they come accross with suspicious activities or propsals and not on some threads? Nathan and I had plenty personal experiences with Q (both at Frank & Sons and here on the board) for the last 3 years to raise red flags, but people didn't really took it seriously until Trev thing happened. I think most people are naturally trusting, so it is sometimes difficult to distinguish a true threat from false alarm. But if there are some patterns in independent reports from the members, maybe mods can look into things to find out? Not sure how this can work - I thought I'd just throw some ideas...

Dave, thank you for your effort to make the board a safer place for everybody to enjoy this hobby!

A tip for all the sculptors, remember all the users in theese threads that are supporting re-casters (openly or hinting of it), and just tell them to fokk off next time they are trying to get on a list!

Did you get permission from DC/Warner Brothers to use Batman as your avatar? I know you are not making a profit from it, but I'll bet you are useing their property without their permission?

well I guess Nam, beat me to the answer to your question. :clap

But more directly to your point you were trying to make, I actually own some really cool customs. I am not in the slightest way coming out against people who make customs. What I am doing is pointing out how extremely hypocritical it is that people who make these customs, who are in essence stealing the property rights of others and then making a profit off of them, are getting all bent out of shape and starting witch hunts against the people who are then stealing from them. And please don't twist my words to sound as if I am defending recasters, I'm not. But in my opinion is pretty lame to act all high and mighty in your stand against recasters when in fact your guilty of doing something similar. The defense in both cases is that someone wants something that isn't currently available to them so they in turn fill the void without the approval of the property owner.

I posted this comment in the OTHER thread that was shut down:

Why don't we all band together, like on a forum, construct a letter to all the heads of creative licenses at all the large movie companies etc., with a link to SSF so that they can peruse, litigate and gain back their control/$ over the 'likenesses' of the properties that they own...

Who's with me?

Crickets chirping in the breeze...

Still don't see a 'list of recasters' forming:impatient:

But more directly to your point you were trying to make, I actually own some really cool customs. I am not in the slightest way coming out against people who make customs. What I am doing is pointing out how extremely hypocritical it is that people who make these customs, who are in essence stealing the property rights of others and then making a profit off of them, are getting all bent out of shape and starting witch hunts against the people who are then stealing from them. And please don't twist my words to sound as if I am defending recasters, I'm not. But in my opinion is pretty lame to act all high and mighty in your stand against recasters when in fact your guilty of doing something similar. The defense in both cases is that someone wants something that isn't currently available to them so they in turn fill the void without the approval of the property owner.

:exactly:

I'm in the same boat, I own some unlicensed customs as well, but I don't kid myself into thinking that at the base level, they aren't essentially high-end "bootlegs".

Can you clarify, do you mean people who buy from Q's ebay? ex. knowingly buying a recasted head gets bannishment?

No. People who buy sculpts for Q (since he is banned here and can no longer buy for himself) for him to recast.

I posted this comment in the OTHER thread that was shut down:

Why don't we all band together, like on a forum, construct a letter to all the heads of creative licenses at all the large movie companies etc., with a link to SSF so that they can peruse, litigate and gain back their control/$ over the 'likenesses' of the properties that they own...

Who's with me?

Crickets chirping in the breeze...

Still don't see a 'list of recasters' forming:impatient:

I'm assuming that the first part of your post is a joke. The last sentence....you'll just have to be patient. This is something that Dave and the mods would need to compile and Dave is not online right now. I wouldn't plan on a list anyway for at least few days. I've named the 2 that I know of. If others know of recasters (not people who just happened to buy a recasted head) then feel free to help in compiling a list.

No. People who buy sculpts for Q (since he is banned here and can no longer buy for himself) for him to recast.

I'm assuming that the first part of your post is a joke. The last sentence....you'll just have to be patient. This is something that Dave and the mods would need to compile and Dave is not online right now. I wouldn't plan on a list anyway for at least few days. I've named the 2 that I know of. If others know of recasters (not people who just happened to buy a recasted head) then feel free to help in compiling a list.

Ah gotcha, thanks for clearing that up

Yes, Jen, the first part is pure sarcasm. The second part, is not. I appreciate your feedback, however, as Dave is the creator of this thread, shouldn't he start this 'list?'

I really disagree with this... the two wrongs make a right argument really doesn't hold up. Sculpting a head takes time, effort and talent. It is true that an unlicensed item is "stealing" or at least profitting from another... but if you can't see the difference between creating a piece of art versus straight copying the art then I really don't know what else to say :huh

So it really doesn't take any twisting to make it sound like you are supporting recasters. Doesn't mean your buying or helping them, but you are basically saying the action is justified since the original item is unlicensed.

I really disagree with this... the two wrongs make a right argument really doesn't hold up. Sculpting a head takes time, effort and talent. It is true that an unlicensed item is "stealing" or at least profitting from another... but if you can't see the difference between creating a piece of art versus straight copying the art then I really don't know what else to say :huh

So it really doesn't take any twisting to make it sound like you are supporting recasters. Doesn't mean your buying or helping them, but you are basically saying the action is justified since the original item is unlicensed.

I gotta say this again (sorry pixie) the first "original" sculpt an artist makes is "ART" the he casts that and sells it he is just as good as a recaster... He didnt pay royalties or ask for likeness rights he is a thief of someone elses "ART" just as much a s a recaster

I gotta say this again (sorry pixie) the first "original" sculpt an artist makes is "ART" the he casts that and sells it he is just as good as a recaster... He didnt pay royalties or ask for likeness rights he is a thief of someone elses "ART" just as much a s a recaster

No because again they are profiting from their work... it does have a moral issue of the property not being theirs' but the work done is their own and therefor it is not "just as good as being a recaster". Because a recaster is selling the work of someone else (that may or may not be unlicensed) for a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back