Older Sideshow Figures upgraded to be on par with Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really is.

The problem with the Tarkin outfit (besides the cost) is there is no HT officer hat and the Sideshow one won't color match.

You might have noticed that TA hiked the price on the Tarkin uniform. 99.99! Thats almost half a figure!

It really is.

The problem with the Tarkin outfit (besides the cost) is there is no HT officer hat and the Sideshow one won't color match.

Get the Krennic one and paint it (if you don't have the hard version from Piett or Praji).

Or better yet, just dye the hat to the appropriate shade. Not sure if its darker or lighter but it should be easy.

I actually have that DiD head somewhere, I forget his name, German officer; bought it for a different bash and never ended up using it.

It really is.

Yeah, I'm doing four Imperial officers (Ozzel is one) and getting the hat paint to match the uniform is super tricky. It's close to spot on in-hand but in these pics it looks slightly different (my camera picks up green and taupe strangely.)

I haven't glued on Piett's cap cylinder greeblie yet. This other guy is just for my Bespin hallway mini-dio (with Bespin guard, Lando, Leia escape, Chewy w/3PO backpack and one of the Solo_bones stunt helmet stormies.)

The SSC Piett head isn't great, but hey - we'll never get another Piett head.:lol I'll probably repaint the eyes - every SSC head from this era has drunk eyes.

FB5YglJ.jpg

This is all true, though the more modern ones I expect would hold up mostly.

I meant of the older figures. Most would instinctively say "creatures and robots" will hold up, but not all. Like personally I don't think Greedo holds up... but the Tusken Raider does, with a few little mods. IG-88 v1 also hold up. I don't think the Gammy works without a repaint. Bib Fortuna is so close, a bit on the fence for me, but at least a repaint is necessary. The older alien Jedi likely hold up given their simple attire. Plo Koon, Ki Adi... not so much Kit Fisto though.

I disagree with you about Greedo, I think he holds up really well. You’re right bout the Gamorrean Guard, he looks too much like a Hasbro toy these days. Hammerhead is still arguably their best alien. V1 Bossk still looks good, though I guess it comes down to preference as to weather you like V2 more. I think I like V2s headsculpt and paint work more, but I don’t think the outfit looks as good. The Tusken is still an awesome figure. I’ve never modded mine, and I still think he looks great.

The Tusken is still an awesome figure. I’ve never modded mine, and I still think he looks great.

Yeah, the Tusken Raider certainly still holds his own against Hot Toys. Other than materials and body, I'd be hard-pressed to see where HT could improve on that one (the sculpt really is excellent). I suppose the flowing robes are easier to pull off than the tight tailoring of a uniform, but even there Sideshow made a good choice - the cheesecloth-like material sits very well and isn't at all bulky.

Some great looking upgrades posted. It was echo's Praji that got me picking one up to do the same. The uniform may not be modern HT quality but with an updated body and head sculpt, it makes a huge difference.

Hammerhead yes, but Greedo reads dated to me in outfit and vest. The sculpt is great though still.

Believe me, I'd love to have all these updated, especially Greedo most of all.

I disagree with you about Greedo, I think he holds up really well.

While I can see that HT would do an amazing job with Greedo's suit (though possibly from degradable pleather...) the SSC Greedo outfit looks a bit better with an undersuit added to pad it out a bit - I used a white one. Some subtle weathering would probably help too (haven't done that on mine.)

ExIjQ1C.jpg

Do people not know how to use the sub forums or? As cool as these are, it should 100% be in the customs section. Same with JazzInc's posts, honestly. His stuff is dope, but I'm not sure why everyone is cool with him posting his stuff in the main thread for figures when it belongs in the custom section. Stuff like this, dioramas, and the super sick speeder custom (which is in the correct area) are customs. If people aren't going to follow the rules when posting, why bother having sub-sections at all? =P

Do people not know how to use the sub forums or? As cool as these are, it should 100% be in the customs section. Same with JazzInc's posts, honestly. His stuff is dope, but I'm not sure why everyone is cool with him posting his stuff in the main thread for figures when it belongs in the custom section. Stuff like this, dioramas, and the super sick speeder custom (which is in the correct area) are customs. If people aren't going to follow the rules when posting, why bother having sub-sections at all? =P

Yeah, this thread should definitely be in the customs section - same as all of Jazzinc's.

You start posting a few times and then you finally think - umm, wrong section...:lol

Hopefully a Mod can weigh in a move all of these threads. If it draws more people to the amazing work in the customs section, all the better.

I'd imagine the folks in question feel the Customs section doesn't receive the same traffic as the main board. Given the $$$ informing their custom offerings, they're looking to advertise as much as they can. Understandable, even if it doesn't strictly adhere to forum 'rules'.

I just got a rebel fleet trooper, and I'm honestly pretty disappointed. The hand pegs are so ridiculously hard to put on its insane. Mine is still missing a hand cause I legit cannot get it on him.

This is all true, though the more modern ones I expect would hold up mostly.

I meant of the older figures. Most would instinctively say "creatures and robots" will hold up, but not all. Like personally I don't think Greedo holds up... but the Tusken Raider does, with a few little mods. IG-88 v1 also hold up. I don't think the Gammy works without a repaint. Bib Fortuna is so close, a bit on the fence for me, but at least a repaint is necessary. The older alien Jedi likely hold up given their simple attire. Plo Koon, Ki Adi... not so much Kit Fisto though.
I just got Plo Kool, 501st deluxe clone, Aayla Secura, two geonosis droids, and a rebel fleet trooper. Personally Plo Koon and the droids are pretty great right out of the box. The 501st clone definitely has some loose joints that need to be fixed but they look incredible. Just like a modern Hot Toys would be.

Aayla Secura is one with the most problems. I am planning on doing some custom work on her, the loose joints are biggest problem in my opinion. I don't know if its just mine or if they're all like that. Also the right arm is obviously not seamless so you see a pretty ugly joint there, but covering it up with a bandage or such should work just fine. The head sculpt, clothes and paint work I would say are damn near good for a character that Hot Toys will never make.

My biggest problem with SS figures tho are actually the stands. Unlike their newer crotch grabber stands, the old ones come with around the waist ones. I will most likely pick up some custom stands from eBay for some of them at least.

IMG_5346.jpg

Last edited:
Has anybody upgraded SS Leia Boussh? Curious to know if that figure would benefit from a body swap or any other upgrades.

Has anybody upgraded SS Leia Boussh? Curious to know if that figure would benefit from a body swap or any other upgrades.

I dirtied the outfit up a bit more, swapped out the helmet for a Tomy and the breastplate for a custom from eBay. The Tomy head makes a huge difference. I’m not sure a body swap would help this one out that much or not.

90D27ACF-4AC3-4240-B066-BD490B0C9B0E.jpeg

Very nice! Thanks for the tips Coco. I’m thinking about possibly picking this one up for my collection. Although I might hold out a little longer to see if Hot Toys announces any new figures at SW Celebration.

I dirtied the outfit up a bit more, swapped out the helmet for a Tomy and the breastplate for a custom from eBay. The Tomy head makes a huge difference. I’m not sure a body swap would help this one out that much or not.

View attachment 444205

i got that same breast plate on ebay years ago. i don`t know if he still makes those or not . i did get one of those tomy helmets. mine was made out of die cast i don`t know if yours is that way or was there another version out there i might have missed.

i got that same breast plate on ebay years ago. i don`t know if he still makes those or not . i did get one of those tomy helmets. mine was made out of die cast i don`t know if yours is that way or was there another version out there i might have missed.

I didn’t know they made a Diecast version but mine is plastic.

Back