NHM's Endoskulls

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too Much Garlic

Super Freak
Reaction score
I got a little bored with the grey look to the skull, so decided to whip on some Rub 'n' Buff Pewter.

Fun story... as I was trying to get it out of the tube I had to press really hard and suddenly it just shot out of it and flew all over the place. Took a lot of time to calm myself into trying to get it off of my sofa, TV remote and wall, and after reading the instructions and asking my mom for advice (seriously, what doesn't she know?), I finally managed to get it almost completely off. But seriously... sometimes I'm just so stupid. And not only that... I almost did it twice, but thankfully, the second time my hand was in the way - wearing gloves - so it didn't spray out everywhere.

It's not perfect, but at least it looks a lot more interesting now. The soft surface texture actually adds to the effect of this being an old piece that has started rusting. Unsure whether I should add more weathering to build up that look more or just leave it - I'll definitely try to paint the teeth in the proper color. But currently I'm satisfied.

LZbe7AO.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Soft Foam Filled Endoskull

This is how it previously looked.
Endoskull%20-%20T2%203D%20-%20Dud%20Cast%20-%20004_zpsgczuklu6.jpg

Endoskull%20-%20T2%203D%20-%20Dud%20Cast%20-%20006_zps6r1riznv.jpg

Endoskull%20-%20T2%203D%20-%20Dud%20Cast%20-%20003_zpskmbo05aq.jpg

Endoskull%20-%20T2%203D%20-%20Dud%20Cast%20-%20002_zpshfb9x4t1.jpg

Endoskull%20-%20T2%203D%20-%20Dud%20Cast%20-%20005_zpsc0eww7ew.jpg

Endoskull%20-%20T2%203D%20-%20Dud%20Cast%20-%20001_zpsfr3jdryv.jpg

Looks like the kind of skull as seen at the bottom in this picture - similar mold line and overbite at the teeth.
endot4skulls002.jpg

I'll likely do a wash with heavily thinned black to darken the recessed and damaged areas, to really make the details pop. As it stands... this will probably be the last thing I ever paint, but since it's such minor work I imagine that I can manage without getting a bad reaction from it. :(

Last edited:

This is how it looks in natural light without flash. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy look, but I can't keep my hands still enough to get a sharp picture in this kind of light.

RVciAsw.jpg

Had a little fun painting the teeth. Not perfect, but that's okay for this piece. Have been thinking of trying to get someone to make lightweight and thin casts of the eyes, temple inserts and jaw pistons to finish the piece up nicely.

Anyway... here's a picture of my miserable painting attempt.

yY9cxBu.jpg

That's pretty cool. I have zero skills, so I envy your courage :)

Yeah, my skills aren't really anything to write home about, but on this particular piece, those crappy skills are actually a benefit to the rough and grungy battle-worn look. I actually had to guess the position and shape of the lower teeth as the cast didn't really show them very well.

Hi guys,

I recently bought a damanged Sideshow T700 bust with the intention of taking it apart and stripping the paint, so I can repaint it the way I'd like it. I've had it for a bit and haven't really taken any strides to work on it, as it turned out to be fairly cool looking as-is. Though, I'm not much a fan of the hammered paint look and the places on the bust where the paint has peeled off shows that the cast itself is clean and smooth.

Has anyone tried to strip the paint of one of these and may know which stripping agent works best on getting the paint off quickly without damaging the underlying resin? Also, do anyone know if it is possible to take the bust apart and can share how they did it, as I need to pull it apart to fix the lighting fixture. Has it been screwed or glued together or both? If taking it apart isn't an option, then I would at least try to strip it and get it repainted.

Here it is next to the foam skull and it is clear just how under-sized the Sideshow skull it. It's pretty extreme, and shows again why the Sideshow stuff really isn't anywhere close to the originals. However, the T-700 skull had the accurate cast teeth, and works for what I need it for, which is why I acquired it to work on to get it how I want it.
Sideshow-T-700-001_zpsmktgajvh.jpg

Back