NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough dude. I wouldn't really say the price is insane. Its about in-line with their pricing for other large scale stuff they sell really.

Pricing has gone up across the board due to inflation, not because product is supposed to be better. The old Maquette came out in 2009. It would be unrealistic to expect a new Maquette at the same price point 8 years later.

Anyway, no one has this in hand yet, so we cannot speak of the quality. Accuracy and quality are 2 different things. It's possible to make a nice quality statue that is lacking in screen accuracy. In saying that, we aren't going to be getting the same quality as old school pieces at the current price point. It was a different time then.

As for my complaints about the old piece, it shouldn't bother you bro. As you said yourself, to each their own, so the only thing that should matter is that you like it. Over the last few pages people have been crapping on this statue as per usual, but it doesn't bother me as I still like it.

Not everyone will have the same feelings towards a piece. I didn't say the old Maquette was terrible and I'd love to own it for a reasonable price, but my issue with the pose was that he looks like he's about to fall over. There is a bit of a lean to the statue due to the way he's posed. Some have it worse than others, and it bugs me. Some are not so bad, but some have quite a noticeable lean.

The new piece is actually a pose from the movie as well...when he comes out of the water and stalks Arnie. It's subtle, but definitely has life to it. My main reason for preferring the pose is that I want to pair it with the Dutch PF, and I think this new Maquette makes a better pairing due to the way it's posed.

End of the day, I would be happy with either Maquette, but given the current value of the old Maquette, it's a no brainer for me to get the new one as it's far cheaper.

No worries, I even want to pick it up just because I love th predator, but ss scares me with their statues. I can only hope it looks great in person. So, will wait and see fingers crossed!!

No worries, I even want to pick it up just because I love th predator, but ss scares me with their statues. I can only hope it looks great in person. So, will wait and see fingers crossed!!

Yeah I don't blame you man. It's a bit of a crap shoot these days, never know what you're going to get.

In saying that, I was pretty happy with what I saw in the unboxing video, and they usually look better in person in comparison to how they look in the video, so as long as it looks like that I'll be happy with mine.

I would be more worried if there was no unboxing video as I wouldn't know what to expect.

Yeah - that's the beastie - $25 of cool (poseable) sculpt!

FIGURE-026998_06.jpg

Cool man. I don't collect toys anymore, but that's not a bad figure for 25 bucks. I definitely prefer the Maquette though.

I may get this if I see one on a discount like I did to P2, which look better than this one BTW.

As the unboxing vid suggested, it may look good IF paired with Dutch AND displaying it under dim LED lights. Also, masked head is OK but unmasked head is pure crud. Yellow polka-dot, fused lower mandibles, long face, etc. I can't believe after all these years and they made this worse than their 1/5 ver.? Really?

Looked pretty good until they added the portraits, came out much worse than expected. The fused lower mandibles look awful.

Base looked pretty good...

Displaying on a dark corner is a great suggestion.

uhhhhh....that's not what my post says.

My bad. That's how I read it. What did you mean by "there are maybe a handful of painters in the world who could really knock a movie accurate Pred paint job out of the park"?

I would imagine there are in fact a lot just on these boards that could nail it. Hell I have more than a handful of painters in my friends list that I imagine would kill it (unless I am vastly overselling their what seem to me to be amazing painting skills). Let alone manufactures that already do a bang up job in production, far superior to this SS one.

So please clarify so I don't misread and get what you said twisted.

Spike I still collect NECA and the like, and for what they are, I agree with you that they are great. I never open mine up though....what you did is blasphemy! :panic: hahaha

The new "collector friendly" boxes are your friend . . .
. . . once the ties are back in place - you'd never know it was taken out of the box :)

• Prepaints
  • Hot Toys
  • NECA
  • Garage kits (raw kits AND professional buildups)
  • Prints (Limited edition silkscreen prints)
  • Books (novels)
  • Graphic novels (comics)
  • Custom artwork
  • Movie posters

. . . I'll collect most Predator related stuff IF it looks good and IF I think it's worth the money.​

Just LOVE the franchise and the ideas behind the species. Best movie "monster" ever - Sci-Fi or otherwise (IMO).

The new "collector friendly" boxes are your friend . . .
. . . once the ties are back in place - you'd never know it was taken out of the box :)

• Prepaints
  • Hot Toys
  • NECA
  • Garage kits (raw kits AND professional buildups)
  • Prints (Limited edition silkscreen prints)
  • Books (novels)
  • Graphic novels (comics)
  • Custom artwork
  • Movie posters

. . . I'll collect most Predator related stuff IF it looks good and IF I think it's worth the money.​

Just LOVE the franchise and the ideas behind the species. Best movie "monster" ever - Sci-Fi or otherwise (IMO).

I still don't break the tape seal. LOL Do you have any of the Hiya stuff on order? Their 1:18 Predator stuff looks great.

Very nice statue, my opinion is it's about 87% there with main deductions being the thigh armor, slightly awkward pose and unmasked portrait.

I think if the EX swap out had been something else, it would have explained the look on the unmasked face....
predator-jungle-hunter-maquette-3001581-03.jpg

Very nice statue, my opinion is it's about 87% there with main deductions being the thigh armor, slightly awkward pose and unmasked portrait.

I think if the EX swap out had been something else, it would have explained the look on the unmasked face....

That's a coincidence - he's sculpted at only 87% (OK - 78%) of his movie weight - quite a deduction :)

LMAO at the lemon :lol :hi5:

I have considered it. I would definitely display it with the bio mask on if i did.

That’s my plan all along. It’s ok to read the same trashing of the statue for a year but I still love it and more now.

For me the thigh armor is idiotic, I mean the SS person who put out the reason needs a bytch slap.

The rest I’m happy with. I couldn’t pick out the right one from a little lineup.

While I say for the 100th I get the reason hardcore Pred fans hate it I am not one so I love it and I don’t know anyone that will come over and know the head paint is wrong and I think that is actually stupid of SS I mean it’s true there’s so many pix of it right online to see. It’s like if Voltron red lion was orange that’s how dumb it is.

That’s my plan all along. It’s ok to read the same trashing of the statue for a year but I still love it and more now.

For me the thigh armor is idiotic, I mean the SS person who put out the reason needs a bytch slap.

The rest I’m happy with. I couldn’t pick out the right one from a little lineup.

While I say for the 100th I get the reason hardcore Pred fans hate it I am not one so I love it and I don’t know anyone that will come over and know the head paint is wrong and I think that is actually stupid of SS I mean it’s true there’s so many pix of it right online to see. It’s like if Voltron red lion was orange that’s how dumb it is.

I agree with all of those thoughts Phastroh. :clap

Back