My Yavin Luke review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really he is a great figure. Having said that, altho' he is definitely better than Hasbro, he is substandard for what we're used to seeing from Sidehow.

What it all boils down to is this (for me anyway):

1) He is not an essential version of Luke - all opinions must be colored by this.

2) The head sculpt is just us not as detailed as sideshow head typically are. As MC noted the lips don't have the cracking we see in other figures (which effects the over all realism to a great degree) and the nose bridge is sculpted to far forward.

3) The paint apps on the hair and eyes are terrible. The skin tone is really nice and multilayered though.

4) The jacket bugged me from the minute the proto-pic leaked. In hand it is not that bad and it is certainly better than the Hasbro. Anyone who says this figure is comparable to the Hasbro obviously never owned the Hasbro Yavin Luke.

In the end he seems to have been rushed out in order to make it to CIV. But I still think he is a great figure. He looks very nice next to the rest of the SS SW posse.

Last edited:
IrishJedi said:
I don't buy that it's a "rush job", either. SSC knew about Celebration IV for over a year and thus had ample time to plan for any exclusive items.

I think it does look like a "rush job" though.

tylerd said:
after reading all the complaints about this figure and seeing what hot toys and medicom can do with a sculpt, sideshow needs to hang up the 12" hu-man figures and stick to the monsters. ie: jack sparrow and jango fett.

are the sculpts done by ht and medi computer generated from a photo or something? they look 'heads' above the competition. :lol

Huh? Sorry, but you MUST be looking at head sculpts other than the ones I've seen. There isn't a human Medicom sculpt I'd add to my collection, and Hot Toys certainly hasn't done anything in the human likeness category to blow me away. Some of their work has been better than others, some worse, just like Sideshow.

Human likenesses are always tough, and when you're using a pool of sculptors (with or without the aid of scanning), you're always going to get mixed results. Unfortunately for Yavin Luke, he hit a few branches when he fell out of the ugly tree.

EDIT - I take my Medicom statement partly back because of the X-3 Wolverine. That's a mostly human likeness that I do think they did a good job with.

You have a production Jango figure? Cool - I don't, so until I do, I can't really comment on whether the head sculpt is up to snuff or not. :D From what we've seen of promo photos it looks good, but that's not always told the story.

I do have mine on order though, since whether the human likeness is good or not won't deter me in this case. He'll be wearing the helmet on my shelf the whole time anyway.

nash said:
why is it disingenuous when it's a matter of opinion? I also think it's just a little better than hasbro. but for the price, no where near the quality that it should be.

I think it's disingenuous to give sideshow "the benefit of the doubt" just because it's a rush job. thats a riddiculous reason to accept the lack of quality imo.

IMO, its disingenuous to base 100% of your opinion on the head alone. If you do that, then just say "head" instead of "figure" when you state your opinion.

Hardly anybody in these forums knows anything about collecting complete 1/6 scale figures head to toe. All they know about is collecting 1/6 scale head sculpts.

Some of you probably have a collection of 1/6 scale heads on popsicle sticks...:rotfl

Hey Prog, for me, the clothing is just as important as the headsculpt and paint. Costume details bring realism to the figure as much as any likeness.

JustinLuck said:
Hey Prog, for me, the clothing is just as important as the headsculpt and paint. Costume details bring realism to the figure as much as any likeness.

Right on, Justin.

I think the people who appreciate 1/6th scale collectibles as total products are more sophisticated and informed collectors.

Personally, I think its the easiest thing to do, sitting around and scrutinizing the sculpt or paint job to the nth degree and or whatever, but most people can't make an informed comment on the clothing because they don't take the time to understand whats been done before and whats good vs bad.

I actually think the costume is just as important as the sculpt. Now granted I may not nit pick but things like Han's too tight gunbelt... well we all know he wears it low on his hips and I dunno how they missed that one. I think in the HS department, if you can tell who it is in the sculpt great, but if the outfit is off thats the deal breaker.

jlcmsu said:
I take everything when I figure out how I feel about a figure.

Does anyone really do anything else? I don't think anyone just focuses solely on the head sculpt... ok, maybe some folks do... But they are the freaky freaks. :D

pixletwin said:
Does anyone really do anything else? I don't think anyone just focuses solely on the head sculpt... ok, maybe some folks do... But they are the freaky freaks. :D

I would hope everyone would but like you said. There are some freaky folks.

pixletwin said:

I would say 80% of the collectors that post here and Rebelscum will only scrutinize the head sculpt and paint app.

To me, that indicates that people only care about that and anything below is just there to keep the head at eye level.

Supporting Evidence:
*SSC only lists the sculptors name on the item discription and not the fabric artist.

*We get product previews and WIP focused on stuff like Ilum Padme's sculpt.

*Many people buy/sell custom sculpts or custom paint jobs to replace the stock SSC, when was the last time you saw someone selling custom Han Bespin jackets?

*A vast majority of opinions on overall product revolve around the head.

Well it IS a SSC sculpt and the head sculpt is their strength. So in a sense, we are spoiled to expect greatness from SSC when it comes to the sculpt.

Oddly enough I look at this Luke head sculpt and I think it could have passed for Dragon, Medi, or HT (From the pics I've seen). I find it ironic how many people have had HTs repainted and yet condemn SSC.

Headsculpt is the most important aspect for me. It defines the whole character. Of course without the right paint job it can all be for naught, as we've just seen.

Honestly I think some people need to stop giving their hard earned $$$ and leave the 1/6 for the rest of us. This CIV SS offering is FANTASTIC!!!

Sorry--- I just received mine today and after reading all of the detractors I expected the coming of the apocalypse... Yavin Luke is a great addition to my 12" SW collection and I'm very happy with him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ for all the negativity.

If you didn't like him--- fine. You're entitled to your opinion--just as I am with mine and after all of the loud Luke-bashers I'm going to be just as boisterous with mine.

DarthNeil said:
Honestly I think some people need to stop giving their hard earned $$$ and leave the 1/6 for the rest of us. This CIV SS offering is FANTASTIC!!!

Sorry--- I just received mine today and after reading all of the detractors I expected the coming of the apocalypse... Yavin Luke is a great addition to my 12" SW collection and I'm very happy with him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ for all the negativity.

If you didn't like him--- fine. You're entitled to your opinion--just as I am with mine and after all of the loud Luke-bashers I'm going to be just as boisterous with mine.

ditto:chew

Outlander said:
Headsculpt is the most important aspect for me. It defines the whole character. Of course without the right paint job it can all be for naught, as we've just seen.

If I was so hard on for portraits, I really think there are a lot more mediums that you can get your bang for your buck.

Minibusts, full busts, photographs, character drawings, etc.

Why pay $60 for a 1"x1"x1" piece of plastic?

To me, 1/6 scale figures are mostly about the costuming reproduction which is pretty much only available with 1/6 figures.

People comment on whatever they can criticize the most. The gunbelt might be great, it could a cool new gun but if they can beat up on the headsculpt that's all we're going to hear about.

Personally I think the sculpt is okay - I could wish for an expression more reflective of the scene and perhaps slightly better paint ops, but it does look like Hamill from Ep. IV.

ProgMatinee said:
To me, 1/6 scale figures are mostly about the costuming reproduction which is pretty much only available with 1/6 figures.
Yeah, but it's also the scale where you can get a combination of poseability and a decent likeness. And there's been many a dead-on likeness in 1/6 scale!

Back