My Mumak Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
Well, after a brief delay from Fedex, my mumak arrived today, number 709/3000. So glad to get it before the end of 2005! Well, let me list my impressions... (You can click the pictures to get to the full size versions.) First, the box was lighter than I expected. The interior packaging places a Styrofoam edge around each corner, leaving some empty buffer space between the outer and inner boxes. Interestingly, a Sideshow DVD was stuck to the outside of the main shipping box, in a clear plastic envelope. After opening the shipping carton and removing the Mumak box, I was immediately taken by how the colorful design for the product boxes has…diminished of late.

At least there is a picture on the front of the box...

Now for a word of advice--DO NOT open and unpack this thing if you are not in the room/building where it will be displayed. You will NEVER get it back in the packaging the way it came, if you intend to take it for a drive. Also, let me just say that I would NEVER buy one of these from Ebay if they have been previously opened--there is WAY too much on this thing that will break if not shipped the way Sideshow sent it out (packaging that just cannot be duplicated once removed). I have never seen such a maze of tissue, packing foam, and twist tie wires (thankfully covered in tissue themselves). It took a good twenty minutes of careful work just to get all of the packing materials off of the beast. Here's a shot of the unpacking in progress...

While the large base has some weight to it, the mumak itself is extremely light. He is very obviously hollow. Once he is unpacked and on display, get ready to stare at him for an hour. As expected, there is an abundance of detail here for you to enjoy. The strings are all nice and tight, the little banners are very fragile (something like hand painted tin foil) but adjustable, and I would swear that I'm looking at real leather and wicker. Check him out from every angle, and you will find something to appreciate. The paint job is just beautiful and stands up to careful scrutiny and high expectations--except for a few spots on the base (see below). Here is a basic picture of the guy, followed by some more interesting detail shots and angles.

My Mumak Pics, Continued

Finally, a few minor quibbles...

As I mentioned earlier, there are a few spots where the painting of the grass on the base is a little sloppy. Not enough to ruin it for me, though.

Also, some of you nitpickers might not like the fact that the foot doesn't quite fit into the footprint sculpted for it in the base.

Also, if you look closely you can see that the Haradrim used giant gobs of glue to keep their war towers perched atop the mighty mumakil.

All in all, I am very pleased with this statue, and I am sure that it will be one of the "attention getting" pieces for those checking out my collection. I will give it a four star rating--excellent, but not quite perfect (the only perfect piece I own is Gandalf on Shadowfax).

Let me close with an "end" shot for all of you Elektra fans.

Spectacular pictures! I was a bit hesitant to purchase this statue. Still I think I would have preferred to see a Mumak in a full charge rather than collapsing in defeat. However this looks really awesome, I love the detail on the battle tower!

That looks like it'd be a chore opening him up the first time. Wow, talk about complex packing. :horror Looks great, though.

Wow! I didn't fancy this one simply because of the whole dying on its knees pose.

Looking at your pics, I have to say I am impressed. It looks much better in the flesh with a lot of detail.

Which LOTR statues do you plan to have placed with? You could have a 'creatures of middle-earth section' in your display. Dying Dumbo would fit right in with Treebeard, Gollum and the Trolls :cool:

Thanks for all those detailed pix! It's hard not to get excited whenever I see a Sideshow box on my door. I kinda prefer to have the "unwrapping" process dificlult. It makes me appreciate the work that went into the statue more. Looks like SS has another winner in Mumak! (I won't be ordering this guy though)

Which LOTR statues do you plan to have placed with?

Actually, I have a shelf reserved for him all by himself. Looking at it by itself, it seems large and quite impressive. Placing it directly next to a 1/6 scale figure might hurt the feel, so I am not going to display this one alongside another. Taken on its own, it's a fantastic piece, and that's how I will display it.

As far as the pose goes, who knows? I like to think that the wounds are superficial, and he is actually rising up from a nap and getting ready to charge into battle.

I actually love this piece.... and the unique pose.

If it was an in-action photograph captured by a photographer it'd be a masterpiece.

I may be on the hunt for one of these at a low price.

Looks sweet!! Been waiting to get mine since SDCC and hopefully it will be here sooner rather than later.:D

CookieMonster said:
Dying Dumbo :horror

NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!:banana

CLASSIC................:joy

It looks ok, I guess, but still does not have that humph that a Mumik should..........:confused:

Re: My Mumak Pics, Continued

Great review and nice pics, you helped me make my decision not to cancel my order :D

tomandshell said:
Let me close with an "end" shot for all of you Elektra fans.

Good one! :naughty :wacky :mwaha

:angelsmil Thanks for sharing the excitement of the latest arrival in such great detail with accompanying pictures.
May he have a happy life, and a good new year too!

Thanks, great review and pics. I decided to hold off on this purchase till next year, cancelled my order 14 days before the ship date, Sideshow screws up and sends/bills me anyway!!! I am hurting with Xmas bills and cripes another $325! Not appreciated, but now what do I do. It is on my doorstep next Wednesday enroute. Don't know if I should send back, but what happens to my shipping expense? Not my fault as I cancelled my order on the web weeks ago. This is a tough choice because I do want the statue, but I did not want it right this second.

Thanks for letting us know this is a bear to unpack. The detail looks great!

Daveyjaro,

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. If you just "Refuse Delivery" it will go back to SS and your card will be credited when they get it back. At least this is what has happened to me in the past. Takes a little time to go through, but at least the $$ will go back home eventually. Call SS and make sure. Screwups happen sometimes and SS is all about making their customers happy. At least that's been my experience.

:peace

Re: My Mumak Pics, Continued

tomandshell said:
Also, if you look closely you can see that the Haradrim used giant gobs of glue to keep their war towers perched atop the mighty mumakil.

:mwaha
Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

I'll keep her. I got #395. Detail on the "Saddle" thing is awesome and it was a bear to untwist all of those ties. I had to place next to the 1/ 6 scale and it is true it doesn't look as impressive than when displayed alone. The Oliphant looks skinny and small. I do like the detail and the base with the sand and such is nice.

Back