My Faramir repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenRoss

Super Freak
Reaction score
I spent a few hours doing this, it was quite difficult to find the correct (or the one that looked more like the correct) color, I didn´t want it to look too yellow because that way it wouldn´t look real, but Faramir real hair is this or that color depending on the light so I had to add lots of shadows and change the colour every time, just got me a big headache, lol

I was going to try to make it look better today but when I looked at it again I thought it looked okay so didn´t dare to touch it again.

Anyway I would like to know your opinion and suggestions in case you think it would look better if I repainted this or that or changed this or that colour so please let me know what you think.

(Forget about the skin, I changed the colour because there was some yellow at some parts and to repaint the beard but I think now I will turn it back to his original colour)

Now onto the pics:

First the original:

Now the repaint:

Last edited:
Not bad Karen. A few suggestions.

1. Faramir had stubble on his face, barely a beard, so I'd paint it much lighter than what you have, and more a brown/blonde tone than the greyish you have going.

2. Faramir has light brown/dirty blone hair, almost a golden type tint, yours seems too heavily yellow, not much like any person's hair appears.

Your technieque for the beard is nice, but mainly a few color changes are what I'd recommend.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I don´t like so much how the beard looks but it´s quite difficult to get the correct color (at least for me), but I will keep trying.

As for the hair, it isn´t that yellow if you see it in person, the light on the pics kinda sucks, but anyway I will repaint it one more time (I have already repainted it 3 times, lol) to make it look less yellow.

Thanks again :)

Here's a picture of my repaint if it helps any.

FSD19.jpg

Cool, I love the beard on yours! I got that colour of hair the second time but thought it was too dark, but I think it´s how it will look better as his brother hair is too dark for him too, it will make them look better when they are placed next to each other.

I would just leave well enough alone on this one, the complexion is much better on the SS version - it only needs to loose the sheen. Not to mention you might want to thin your paints a bit, the brush strokes are somewhat obvious.

I am glad you are enjoying this however, and in the end I suppose that is all that counts.

I believe the actor is actually a blondish red head -he is also in 300 and Steve irwins crocodile hunter movies - plus more I can't remember.

Looks like Michael P.S. Hayes from the Fabulous Freebirds...:monkey1

:lol :clap :lol

I know it really is a personal thing and all, but with some exceptions it always seems that the SS paint is preferrable.

Okay, thank you guys, I already realized the paint job sucks. Thanks God at least MaulFan took the time to say how to make it look better. I know it is easier to say that it sucks or to make jokes but I didn´t post it to know how bad it is (although I´m happy I can make you laugh) but to make it look better by reading suggestions.

It surprises me how I´ve been reading a lot of posts saying how much the SS paint job sucked on this head and then now when someone tries to make it look better, the SS paint is perfect.

Well, I know that maybe the SS paint looks better for you, rather than mine, because SS has a plain colour and matches with the beard but SS´s is not the color Faramir´s hair and beard is, SS´s got the sculpting right but it´s Faramir with dyed hair and beard. Right now the only Faramir figure I´ve seen is MaulFan´s one, that is the better Faramir I have seen.

Sorry, I don´t wanna sound rude, I´m not mad at you, it´s just that it is a bit frustating because I spent 3 hours one day and 2 hours another day working on the hair and beard and it was my first repaint custom, when I finished I´d got a big headache and back pain because I wasn´t used to that.
And now I post here knowing it wasn´t a great job but anyway I wanted to read suggestions and except for one all I read is "it looks like (insert famous person or character to laugh at)" or "the SS´s one looks okay, I´d leave it like that".

Once again, glad I can make you laugh but please, next time think it twice before posting, sometimes it´s better not to say a word, as most of the boardies have decided to do, I guess, rather than say something that can make people laugh but also make the person who did it (me) feel a little bad.

Thanks

Too bad some folks prefer to make fun rather than offer suggestions, which is why you posted your pics in the first place, right? I assume you are working from some photos of Faramir, but it might be helpful to collect as many good pics as you can find, especially closeups and photos in good light that reveal the actual colors of his hair and beard. If you're suffering and getting frustrated from spending long hours on it, then I'd suggest taking a break to give yourself a rest and to appraise your progress in small stages. Try to look at it as if it was someone else's work, detach yourself from it if you can, and compare it to the photos. Think about where it looks okay, and where it may need to be changed or refined. Just take your time and work at it a little at a time this way, and eventually you'll achieve the results you want.

You might want to test your paint colors on something else and let the paint dry before you start on Faramir. When you're satisfied with the color, then go ahead and apply it. I would also suggest using the drybrushing technique for adding subtle highlights to his hair and for applying his beard, as it would help you achieve the stubbly look without using so much paint coverage. It will also give a more layered look to his hair. To do that you'll need to mix a darker shade of his basic hair color by tinting it with a darker brown or a small amount of black, thin it down to the consistency of milk, and apply one or two coats. (Use the color test before applying it). When that has dried, then lighten the base color by adding a very small amount of a lighter brown, etc. Load your brush with paint and then wipe it back and forth on a paper towel until only a small amount of paint remains in the brush. Now you can add controlled amounts of paint to pick out areas you want to highlight by lightly dragging the brush over the surface, using a scrubbing motion. Practice on something until you get a feel for it, then go to work on Faramir's hair. By layering progressively lighter colors in this way, you can give the illusion of depth to his hair. You can also dry brush the stubble on his beard using the same techique, using the photos as a guide and working in small steps until you're satisfied with the look. Just be careful not to overdo it! Hope this helps make things a little easier, and a lot more fun!

Whatever it is Karen, your repaint looks great for a first timer :) Check out darkartist's tips on painting over at the custom section. Maybe with proper guidance from Master Josh, he can help to unleash the artistic potential in you :)

You where Brave KR - to repaint your figure (even though it's a spare) I've only really done dry bushing touch ups to add depth to hair on these figures so far with the exclusion of Anakin who I had to redo the lips - Since its your spare you can afford to keep strippping it down and repainting untill u are satisfied. Sometimes you might take a step backwards on your customising journey but the lesson learnt will help u leap ahead on future projects. look forward to seeing the next go. - for me I've just started sculpting and I don't have the courage to post my attempts yet - well done!

Back