Movie Poster Collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, go to ebay if you don't mind being lied to and sold a repro.

I get all mine from movieposters.com or I call Hollywood Book and Poster. They get their stock straight from the studios, and their prices are great.

Hahahaahah - yea, there's a whole bunch of double sided Iron Man 3 repros out there! If you're foolish enough to believe that new posters are being repro'ed, you deserve to waste your money with the online stores.

If you're spending money on something from 30 years ago that is a big ticket item (like Ghostbusters, not Ghost Dad), then you need to do your research and it doesn't matter who you're buying it from - you could get screwed by movieposters.com as well. If you're buying something that's coming out later on this year and it's DS, it's not a repro.

While I agree there are better deals to be had on Ebay, you also have to be much more careful. If you care that your poster is authentic, Ebay is rife with dealers selling repro's and fakes without stating as such.

Often times I prefer to just pay a little more knowing I will be getting the real deal.

Stay away from www.moviegoods.com, they sell repro's without stating that they are not originals.

Yep they are horrible.

And yes there are fake posters for movies that aren't out yet. Especially the big ones like Iron Man 3. It was the same with the Ledger Batman posters.

No, there's not - it's way too expensive to create an actual ds poster (one that doesn't look like crap) for it to be worthwhile. There ARE some Ledger repros, but you can tell them from the originals AND they weren't produced until well after he died and the prices on the posters skyrocketed. There's also repros of the DS Spider-man with the twin towers...but these are exceptions, due to the unique situation, and if you educate yourself you'll be able to tell the difference.

But online stores (who also sell their stuff cheaper on ebay) love it when you believe that. Studios these days are making a metric ton of posters for the big movies these days.

BTW, if you believe that there are Iron Man 3 DS posters on ebay that are 'repros' right now, and spending an extra $10 - $20 on one at a store that promises you they are only selling 'originals' makes you feel better about the purchase, then go for it.

It does look like the IM3 posters - at least the teaser (there will be at least one more, maybe 2 or 3) - are starting to dry up. You really want to pick these up as soon as they start shipping from the studios to avoid paying too much. I blew it on Django...now they're just too expensive for a new movie for me to bite.

No, there's not - it's way too expensive to create an actual ds poster (one that doesn't look like crap) for it to be worthwhile. There ARE some Ledger repros, but you can tell them from the originals AND they weren't produced until well after he died and the prices on the posters skyrocketed. There's also repros of the DS Spider-man with the twin towers...but these are exceptions, due to the unique situation, and if you educate yourself you'll be able to tell the difference.

But online stores (who also sell their stuff cheaper on ebay) love it when you believe that. Studios these days are making a metric ton of posters for the big movies these days.

I hate to tell you, but there are tons of fakes out here, especially on big releases. If you dont think so, your kiddng yourself. Especially now a days, It's not that expensve to produce DS fakes in large numbers, and then turn around and sell hem for $10 each. It happens all the time.

You should have your poster collection authenticated, I would be willing to bet you have many knock-offs in your collection.

I have been burned before, as most collectors probably have, and it was on a new poster (LOTR Argonaught poster) at the time.

I hate to tell you, but there are tons of fakes out here, especially on big releases. If you dont think so, your kiddng yourself. Especially now a days, It's not that expensve to produce DS fakes in large numbers, and then turn around and sell hem for $10 each. It happens all the time.

You should have your poster collection authenticated, I would be willing to bet you have many knock-offs in your collection.

I have been burned before, as most collectors probably have, and it was on a new poster (LOTR Argonaught poster) at the time.

Heheheheh - yea, I'll be sure to do that :D

I am interested in your experience with the Argonath though - I've never heard of a 27x40 DS repro of that poster. There was a 27x39 DS reprint, as well as a 27x40 SS reprint, but I hadn't heard of a 27x40 DS - is that what you had? That was a very popular poster at the time, and was reprinted a few months after it was first released.

Heheheheh - yea, I'll be sure to do that :D

I am interested in your experience with the Argonath though - I've never heard of a 27x40 DS repro of that poster. There was a 27x39 DS reprint, as well as a 27x40 SS reprint, but I hadn't heard of a 27x40 DS - is that what you had? That was a very popular poster at the time, and was reprinted a few months after it was first released.

I got the posters long before the release, found an Ebayer with a good price and bought 3 of them, all 27x40. Later, since I had been such a good customer, he mailed me everything he had left (couldnt sell) of that poster, nearly 30 more posters in all! That made me a bit suspicious to say the least. Nobody would throw away 30 posters that were very likely to go up in value significantly.

I have been collecting for 30 years, I can spot some fakes, but the printing process is so good now, that it is difficult to tell every time, which is why I prefer to go with a reputable dealer who has been selling for many years.

I got the posters long before the release, found an Ebayer with a good price and bought 3 of them, all 27x40. Later, since I had been such a good customer, he mailed me everything he had left (couldnt sell) of that poster, nearly 30 more posters in all! That made me a bit suspicious to say the least. Nobody would throw away 30 posters that were very likely to go up in value significantly.

I have been collecting for 30 years, I can spot some fakes, but the printing process is so good now, that it is difficult to tell every time, which is why I prefer to go with a reputable dealer who has been selling for many years.

If I'm even tempted to look on ebay, the seller's quantity is the first thing I look at to tell if its a repro. Because what is the likely hood that someone in the backwoods of texas has got 10+ original posters months before the release when most theaters only have one or two on display. What did he go to some event? If that's true did they really let him have 10? Really? No, the guy got the image file off the internet and is using a poster printer at work or something to print them.

I've gotten a few posters a while back. Had the Superman Returns Double-sided and the Glossy rain version of the Spider-man 3 poster double-sided. That one was pretty cool.

Movie posters from back in the day are sort of a "lost art" and the primary place you can get those unique posters are from places like Mondo and Gallery 1988. Unfortunately Mondo doesn't get much made and they're always immediately sold out! I was very lucky to get a Tyler Stout AVENGERS poster. I happily paid to get that one framed!

I never really understood official/real movie poster collecting. Some reprints look just as good and are 1/3 the price.

I never really understood official/real movie poster collecting. Some reprints look just as good and are 1/3 the price.

The reprints sometimes aren't as good quality and commonly aren't the "true" movie poster size of 27 x 40.

Also, some people like to do the classic "backlight" on them and the only way they'll look like they do from the theaters is if they're double-sided printed. Also, not all the movie poster variations are reprinted on smaller sizes.

If I'm even tempted to look on ebay, the seller's quantity is the first thing I look at to tell if its a repro. Because what is the likely hood that someone in the backwoods of texas has got 10+ original posters months before the release when most theaters only have one or two on display. What did he go to some event? If that's true did they really let him have 10? Really? No, the guy got the image file off the internet and is using a poster printer at work or something to print them.

:exactly:

I did not have those posters authenticated, but find
it very difficult to believe he would have that many of the same orignal movie poster, and would be willing to give them away.

You know what they always say, if something is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

On a side note, I do still have them.

It's no different than any other hobby where people collect. An original is always preferable to a copy. Some peple see your figures as just plastic, just as many see my posters as just paper. The value is in the eye of the admirer. You'd be surprised at how much some of these posters go for. If I sold everything I own (posters) I could probably retire, but they are too near and dear to my heart, for now at least.

Because a guy had 30 of a poster does not make it a 'repro'. I think you're way over estimating how easy and cheap it is to produce studio quality DS posters. Yes, we have lots of cool technology, but printing at that size with that quality requires VERY expensive equipment, and isn't something your local Kinko's can do. It's also very specialized because of the nature of DS. You're also way under estimating the number of posters being printed for new movie releases. Distributors get them by the box, and if they pull a box for a dealer, that's what the dealer gets. Why would he give them to you when he could sell them? I have no idea, but quantity isn't the best way to determine authenticity these days. I wouldn't buy from a dealer advertising 30 of a poster either, but that's pretty rare.

There are key DS posters that have ben repro'd, due to their sudden rise in value. But they are few and far between. The people that can afford the equipment necessary to produce believable reprints don't want the studios coming after them for copyright infringement. Of course, dealers will tell you there's a ton out there and then proceed to tell you that you can only trust them...

However, if you're nervous and believe that there's a ton of 27x40 DS repros out there of new movies, then stay away from the ebay dealers. Less bidding competition :) If you do buy off ebay, it's smart to find yourself 3 or 4 regular dealers to work with, and stick primarily with them. And I'm not telling you who mine are :D

Back