Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about time Kojima tried putting gameplay over cutscenes. From what I hear the story is told in bits you find while you play, not fed to you through 8 hours of cutscenes. I'm fine with that. We already have games with ridiculously long scenes.

It's about time Kojima tried putting gameplay over cutscenes. From what I hear the story is told in bits you find while you play, not fed to you through 8 hours of cutscenes. I'm fine with that. We already have games with ridiculously long scenes.
That sounds fantastic in theory. But the way the missions are laid out its just like you are playing mini-games one after the other rather than playing the story. And given that you spend hours on literally the same map, visiting the same little huts and buildings but with a new goal this time makes it get old fast. Its like doing the side-ops x4 in ground zeroes.

Based on reviews, I really think it depends on how you play, and what missions you choose, the pacing works differently for people, some reviews say there's barely any story, while others say the story is there and amazing. For me, After about the first 4 missions or so, the the pacing as been perfect. Also, missions become a lot more fun once you start unlocking, and upgrading new weaponry, and the buddies are probably the best new addition to gameplay.

12 hour play session and I'm at 5%. The gameplay really shines here, it never holds your hands. Complete improvisation and strategy more than any game I've ever played

Story has definitely taken a back seat. Keifer said one word in the first 2 hours. But acting is great all around, but Snake doesn't feel like Snake to me. It's more the lack of talking than the voice actor. Story is mainly in the cassette tapes, even important stuff strangely which isn't very elegant.

Is there a day 1 patch or update and how many gbs is it? i'm kinda screwed for data until the sept 9th. Don't think i can't till then to play this...

27GB no update yet, but online connection hasn't been turned on yet, so the Ground Zeroes exclusive... Things aren't unlock able yet.

We already had the worst of that with the last numbered title, so I agree.

Cut Scenes have always been a staple of the Metal Gear Solid series. I am okay with changes if they improve the game but I feel that reducing the number/length of cut scenes makes this game less Metal Gear Solid and more "Third Person Action Game appealing to the masses". I guess I just don't understand why people get upset over cut scenes especially when they are skip-able. There has always been plenty of game play in the Metal Gear Solid games, in fact as much game play as you want if you actually explore the game and have fun. The story told through cut scenes make me care far more about the story and characters versus listening to audio tapes.

Hoping Threezero or 3A's best, to be able to produce this new walking tank!

New_MGS_Walking_Tank.jpg

@higgins There's much much much more to MGS than the length of the cutscenes, you're reaching way too far to try to disqualify this game's essence over a few shallow changes when all the truly important MGS staples are there, the introduction of 1st person shooting in MGS2 didn't make it call of duty, the introduction of fixed camera angles didn't make it Resident Evil, the introduction of vehicles didn't make it GTA, etc etc, by that nit picky logic, the only true MGS is MGS1, every following sequel is a bastardization, Raiden was literally made to appeal to Japanese 14 year old girls, they removed the central character of the series, and replaced it with an even more alien than character than Big Boss to literally pamper possibly one of the most casual demographics at the time... I'm sorry, there's just zero grounds to say this is less MGS than any other.

MGS has always been a third person action game appealing to the masses, if you like MGS you're part of a mass of millions of people who like it too, it's not one of the top, most revolutionary and consistently relevant gaming franchises for nothing.

I'm not upset over the lack or presence of cutscenes, but I'm glad there's variation.

I guess I'm not out :lol I'll just try to be careful with the spoilers.

@GasparZizou- I should start off by saying that I fully intend on buying and playing the Phantom Pain. Secondly I whole wholeheartedly agree with you that Metal Gear Solid is much much more than long incredibly well done cut scenes, hopefully I did not give that impression. I do however feel that with the diminished length/amount of cut scenes and the overall way those cut scenes relate to the story telling, exclusion of David Hayters Voice Acting, removal of codec conversations, less than memorable boss fights and original complex sympathetic characters, etc that this Metal Gear Solid has less soul. That is not to say its not a Metal Gear Solid game, I just think that its less so Metal Gear Solid than its predecessors. I say all this without having played the game, however based on what we have seen and heard from people who have played the game I don't think that opinion will change.

This game most certainly does not lack original complex sympathetic characters and you can tell that from 10 million miles away.

Let's see, intrincate faux politics, silly Japanese humor, ridiculous comicbooky characters and enemies, corky gadgets, blatant discussion of the selected themes, signature animalistic mech design (except for inbred Rex which if I'm correct it's not gonna matter), no subtlety, cheesy sentimental dialogue (judging from GZ), so nope, I will forever cringe at the claims of this game being less MGS or having less soul, they're as valid as saying MGS2 went full call of duty, or full RE.

Sorry, but eternal nope-ing at that meme.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

The voice acting in this game is the best in the series by far, I didn't think I was going to like Troy Baker as Ocelot, boy was I wrong, that man is talented. In fact the only VA that doesn't feel right in this game is Christopher Randolph, he should have been re casted as well.

I've done about 20 main missions and about 15 side ops and the game doesn't feel repetitive at all. Each main mission is designed incredibly well, and surprisingly with all my upgrades and buddies, the game remains challenging.

My only real negatives so far are the graphics which look good but not great, and the lack of cutscenes. Some main missions don't have cutscenes which I think is ridiculous. Also the credits are a problem, they spoil which characters are going to show up in each episode.

I'm not sure if I'm far into the main campaign or not, but I guess I'm not since I haven't met a couple of really important characters yet and I've already put in about 20 hours into the game.

Skull Face is shaping up to be my favorite villain in the series so far, he really feels like a Bond villain. There's not one character I hate in the game yet, they all have a lot of personality and it's doesn't feel forced at all, even Quiet is amazing, she turned out to be a lot cooler than I expected.

Does the game have the same aiming mechanics as GZ, where you have to take extra consideration into landing headshots?

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I hear you get to customize an avatar character at the start for MGO or some such?

Would be tempted to try and make Keifer if it's possible at all. :lol

Back